Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 AM

253 posts, read 540,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
I had the opposite experience at Q10. I was on recycling with another out of towner, I did not know the area AT ALL, he was somewhat familiar with it. Right before lunch foreman started using tactics of "u know this route ALWAYS cleans and dumps right?" "u know we will have to council you if you do not clean right?" We tell him we are both out of town and do not know the area, we will do our best. We were doing one side of the street and working like gentlemen not running lights or riding on the lip of the hopper. After lunch the super is out tailing us but he is trying to be secretive about it. Before our 10 min break the deputy chief is now out on our trail and telling us how to work! We step it up a little bit because we are both still on probation but we are not running.

Turns out the truck saved us! We had an old CM and the handles would get stuck when you finished cycling it so after the whole day of having the packer on the hydrolic system finally overheated! We gave back 10 lines of work and were covered since the truck legitmately went down! Worst out of town experience EVER!

Wow I cant beleive they Mod cut: languagelike that.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
believe me...if they start calling for hiring again EPINIONS will be the first one to come here and tell us.
I thought EPSON was going to leave DSNY HR for another job? He could do better then $10.26 hr.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM

243 posts, read 681,797 times
my list is a few before the last to be called for pre employment. hopefully a lot of guys did not get their cdl's or are waiting for hiring to commence again before they do so, so i can scoot into a class before them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
I was 2 months into a new job and didnt have the time to go out. If you remember the economy was kinda screwed at the time. Didnt want to risk a job for something that wasnt locked. Here I am a year later and I still havent been called. Trust me its unsettleing not haveing the CDL, but now I have the days so when the have another class I'm taking it. Worst case I'm going to have to get it on my own. Its a lot more expensive to take it on your own. Im thinking about just taking a few hours with a place and taking a shot. I can handle a large vehicle I just have to study all the technical stuff

Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
they split our basket route up last nite and since im junior guy i got the worst half they wanted us to clean our half then go to another garage and do there baskets....they havent done baskets in 4 days at my garage 3 lines bombed every corner there was a dump out one corner had a whole living room set in the street lmao....anyways there crazy played the game well last nite and both trucks didnt finish gave back lines....they cut cleaning dont put a basket route out for 4 days an expect you to run it up and then go do someone elses route lol felt good to sweep every single corner clean....

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

200 posts, read 576,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
they split our basket route up last nite and since im junior guy i got the worst half they wanted us to clean our half then go to another garage and do there baskets....they havent done baskets in 4 days at my garage 3 lines bombed every corner there was a dump out one corner had a whole living room set in the street lmao....anyways there crazy played the game well last nite and both trucks didnt finish gave back lines....they cut cleaning dont put a basket route out for 4 days an expect you to run it up and then go do someone elses route lol felt good to sweep every single corner clean....
Good job taking your time. Thats how you beat them at their own game and keep job security. Just go with the flow. Don't forget to do your pre-trip on your truck before you leave for your route.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
probation is over in 5 more months...but could they extend me for 19 days LODI during snow...i fell on ice and sprained my ankle bad...actually came back early then i wanted too so maybe they wouldnt extend my probation....

Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM

200 posts, read 576,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
probation is over in 5 more months...but could they extend me for 19 days LODI during snow...i fell on ice and sprained my ankle bad...actually came back early then i wanted too so maybe they wouldnt extend my probation....
I don't think they would extend your probation over that. Sick time. awol's. xwops and complaints are what they usually extend probation for. And if they did just look at it like this, you just did a year without any trouble ( I'm assuming) and you have to do 19 more. So what's the big deal over 19 days or even 6 months. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 31,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
I don't think they would extend your probation over that. Sick time. awol's. xwops and complaints are what they usually extend probation for. And if they did just look at it like this, you just did a year without any trouble ( I'm assuming) and you have to do 19 more. So what's the big deal over 19 days or even 6 months. Good luck.
Good advice I wish that more senior s/w's would help out the new guys instead of telling us get some time .!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM

335 posts, read 747,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I thought EPSON was going to leave DSNY HR for another job? He could do better then $10.26 hr.

I tried lol but unforunately its hard to get a job out there. At least I have one thank god. I know I can do better than 10.26 but thankfully its something than nothing like some of my friends are going thru

Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM

335 posts, read 747,664 times
Quote:
believe me...if they start calling for hiring again epinions will be the first one to come here and tell us.
epinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City