Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
what happens if you're a new guy who doesn't know his way around at all? are you just expected to somehow find your way? can you get in trouble if you get lost and take too much time finding your way around?
They are supposed to give you a section map. Heck, most garages I've been to give u a section map with your lines highlighted on it already. I might have had an out of town forman? He couldn't even tell me how to get to the first line. He told me to start in the middle where he recognized how to get there. I swear this section couldn't be any further from the garage..took like 15 minutes just to drive out there.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 PM

372 posts, read 830,089 times
when you go out of town then dont expect much from you number 1 its not your garage so who cares number 2 you dont know the area...if they wanted stuff to get done they would split up the two out of towners and throw them with a guy from the garage but if they dont do that take your time ang get lost.....when i go out of town I mite know the area but to them its NOOOO i dont know anything....the less you know the better off you are on this job god honest truth.....

Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,205 times
Good advice, always have a good answer for a number of possible scenarios. Hesitate and they know ur lying.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM

156 posts, read 370,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
i heard that they are trying to eliminate the night shift....and go strictly days i guess thats y they want trucks dumped... If there is no night shift and everyone is days i guess they would be able to go under head count....could this happen???? and has anyone heard of anything like this??
Kingcals- I'm a little late, but if you don't mind me asking, where did you hear this? I've heard this rumor floating around too, but it's basically been locker room gossip for now...even if they don't eliminate the night shift, it looks like we're gonna stay under headcount for a while...with all the cleaning cuts, truck cuts, etc., I wonder what the new target number is that the city has in mind for san workers...remember this from about a week ago:

Bloomberg isn't talking specifics yet, though he has been warning city unions for months that they need to give back some of their pension and health benefits to keep the city from going broke. The year "2011 is on the mayor's tongue," said Harry Nespoli, head of the Sanitation union and the coalition of municipal labor. "He's deadly afraid of 2011, and he's stressed that to all the unions."

As $5 billion budget deficit looms, Mayor Bloomberg will have to yell, Cut!

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-23-2009 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 AM

243 posts, read 681,930 times
good question ! you would think for every guy at top pay they could force to retire (early leave pkg) they could hire 2 or 3 guys for the same pay. an why is bloomberg want to change the pension setup for the new hires ? it wont make a diff untill they are ready to retire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goya197 View Post
I met a san man who has 39 years on the job!! Whats that about, and he's in a running garage!! Old people retire!!! It's our turn to do this!! The city should just buy out the contracts on guys with 25 years plus on the job!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 AM

360 posts, read 735,961 times
I think its a lot of hearsay.... blooms is still looking for more money i one time did the books for the Verrazano if i told you how much that bridge "ALONE" made a day you would call me crazy and face it mike bloomberg is a business man guy has so much already hes worth over 4.6 billion face facts hes bored.... He enjoys playing Simcity with Newyorkcity its a real life video game so and speak...They have the money hes looking for the hand me outs from the financial bailout money ...I invest and the worst (for wallstreet anways) was back in Feb/March since then with bailout reform and bank stress tests and now Q2 earnings coming out postive beating analysts estimates...I think its a load of crap and there doing what every other business/company does saving money right now cause they can.....They called for 10% unemployment and we will hit it but i think the city is covered ...Mikes plays hardball... and i remember one time bloomberg said about the invested money the city had in the market was a huge lose welll like i was just saying citys investors should be or havent made a big chunk back and i feel its all just a game so they could receive more mula.... btw sorry too all the mets fans here and even more sorry for there bond holders who arent getting payed ontime..... ... i sort of got off subject i think they will hold off on hiring and then have a nice large class and i do think tier 5 may be in order or the possible raise being throwed away ...but hey what do i know..? lol ...

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM

372 posts, read 830,089 times
it was just hear say thats y i posted it to see if anyone heard anything about it....but thats y they want relays dumped to cut the shifts down.....oooo and september cleaning comes back guys.....so no more surplus cleaning will be back in the numbers....

Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM

17 posts, read 33,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
From what I understand if that guy with a lower list number then you doesn't have his CDL but you do he gets passed up and you would go through the pre employment process before him.

What I think is wrong is that he should not get another chance the next time they go through the list. With the exception of a medical hold which takes time everybody else would not get called again.

vantastic... you think that if someone doesnt go in the first time they get called, then they shouldnt have a second chance?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:07 PM

243 posts, read 681,930 times
they could never do without night shift. what would happen when a truck over turns on the highway ? wait for dot ? they could make night shift a small reduced force and maybe that's what their looking for to reduce the night diff.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:26 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGuy View Post
vantastic... you think that if someone doesnt go in the first time they get called, then they shouldnt have a second chance?
Yes, of course but for certain reasons like for not having your CDL Permit, if you don't have your stuff together when they reach your number, you shouldn't get a second chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City