Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,838,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
you're forgetting that 'gentrification' comes in cycles

case in point: before the Bowery was a skid row, it was a desirable neighborhood.
before SoHo was SoHo and before it was Hell's Hundred Acres it was a desirable neighborhood.

there will always be neighborhoods for people to move to. you're being too short-sighted.
"Cycles" mean that the neighborhood goes down, then up, then down again, and then back up.

None of the neighborhoods that you have mentioned qualify under this definition. They were down before. They have been gentrified and now they are up. No cycle has occurred. These neighborhood were where poor immigrants came, people that were down on the luck were able to ride it out, and starving artist were able to survive. These type of neighborhoods are what I'm really referring to.

People complain about soup kitchens and homeless ruining there neighborhoods. But there used to be places where they could live undisturbed. We haven't gotten rid of them or the problems, they are just more spread out living in mostly every neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Sorry if this question was already asked in another thread, but seeing that there are a lot residents being forced out of their homes due to gentrificiation of certain areas (Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, Wash Hts, etc). Where are all these evicted tenants re-locating to? I've heard the Bronx, Newark, NJ and Far Rockaway, Queens are considered "dumping grounds" for these type of tenants, but I'm looking for some more information on this.
Speaking for what I've seen in Wash Heights. A lot of it is not necessarily people being pushed out. A lot of it is older people leaving to DR or dying. The landlords are starting to take advantage of this and are rehabbing buildings and upping rents. This wasn't really the case about 10 years ago, but what's happened in Inwood and Harlem has encouraged Landlords to go in this direction. Younger folks or recent immigrants who would have moved to Wash Heights, now more often move to the BX, because the rent is cheaper.

In Hamilton Heights in Harlem a lot of people feel like they are being slowly pushed out. They see more White faces around, rents start creeping up on empty apartments, the landlords went ridiculous on the commercial rents and forced a lot of local businesses mostly owned by people of color to re-locate, so it creates a feeling of being pushed out of your neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,594,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Speaking for what I've seen in Wash Heights. A lot of it is not necessarily people being pushed out. A lot of it is older people leaving to DR or dying. The landlords are starting to take advantage of this and are rehabbing buildings and upping rents. This wasn't really the case about 10 years ago, but what's happened in Inwood and Harlem has encouraged Landlords to go in this direction. Younger folks or recent immigrants who would have moved to Wash Heights, now more often move to the BX, because the rent is cheaper.

In Hamilton Heights in Harlem a lot of people feel like they are being slowly pushed out. They see more White faces around, rents start creeping up on empty apartments, the landlords went ridiculous on the commercial rents and forced a lot of local businesses mostly owned by people of color to re-locate, so it creates a feeling of being pushed out of your neighborhood.

+1

The idea people are being thrown out is rediculous. However, as for the race angle, if someone complained of non-white faces in a white hood, this board would be in flames. Why should "People of color" (white is a color :P) be allowed to assert not wanting white people living near them?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
+1

The idea people are being thrown out is rediculous. However, as for the race angle, if someone complained of non-white faces in a white hood, this board would be in flames. Why should "People of color" (white is a color :P) be allowed to assert not wanting white people living near them?
I agree, but I'm sure you know how people think out there, especially a lot of the older generations. They still very much have that "the man," complex.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 94,294 times
Rivitalization - To give new life

What's to say that the community needed to be revived? And if you look at how "revitalization" happens it usually begins with Police taking action in that neighborhood, and ultimatly leads to the property value going up and larger commercial establishments showing up and smaller "mom & pop" shops closing. The end results is a need for more income to afford to live in these Revitalized communities and to be able to shop in that area. So when you look at the time line, the "middle class" are the ones whom the police are there to protect. The commisioner is able to call this operation Impact which has affected harlem, parts of the bronx and brooklyn, all places where there is a majority of low income population. I look at the neighborhood called sobro now and how the value of propety at bruckner blvd has gone up in recent years but cannot spread because of the projects that are all over sobro. Not to say the projects is filled with bad people, however there is a element of crime and is hard to overcome because it is similar to pastime as a hotdog at yankee stadium. In harlem there is a crime problem which is evident from 2008 memorial day, but yet people still are able to move in, if you walk between 6pm and 1am down a troubled harlem block you will see a overflow police, which is a good thing. But where were they before the value of a harlem brownstone was below 100k. I dont mean to rant but I lived in these places pre-"revitalization" and there wasnt a feeling of protection from the police as there is now and its not right, especially now that the people that kept the culture that makes harlem attractable are unable to live there. But I invite anybody who wants to move here to come to these neighborhoods but because of their origin the real estate market shouldnt be going up.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM

567 posts, read 1,442,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
+1

what? this isn't about race at ALL. this has way more to do about class than anything.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
DAS

Quote:

This is a good description. What is happening in Hamilton Heights is exactly the same thing that is happening in Washington Heights. People refer to this in general as being pushed out.

The reason being is that most of the Dominicans, and Black people would stay longer and invest in the community. The younger white people unless buying condos or coops, just rent for a year or two and move on. They have no intention of staying or investing. It is more or less a place to lay their heads while living in the city. As a result the landlords make out better, which is not a criticism, just a fact.

As for the man complex, that has been played out. You don't hear people today complaining about that kind of thing. Not for years. If so they are getting old now. People are trying to become more successful and coop the buildings, or move out to better neighborhoods, in or out of the city. Sometimes this includes the Bronx.

After all some of these apts are not in good condition, and the renovations are just surface renovations that will only last until the 2 year lease is up.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
DAS

Quote:
I agree, but I'm sure you know how people think out there, especially a lot of the older generations. They still very much have that "the man," complex.
Also I want to point out that some seniors really like seeing different races living together. They honestly feel that Martin Luther Kings dream is being fulfilled, and all the things that they indured was not for naught. Most of them own, or are under rent control, or some other subsidized housing. The seniors with the lower subsidized rents are retired, and due to the educational and employment discrimination of their time, are unable to receive a larger Social Security check.

It doesn't effect them the same way. You walk through Hamilton Heights you see older people having conversations with younger White people all the time, just chatting and laughing.

Also before anyone gets into rent control. The rent controlled units are owned by the city and the last of them in Hamilton Heights are in the process of cooping. The seniors will receive section 8 subsidy. Which is federal.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,278,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
i wonder if the population of the city will decrease because of gentrification. it does prevent alot of people from coming to nyc and eventually if more and more neighborhoods keep getting too expensive then wont we eventually "run out" of people who can afford them? thus having alot of abandoned homes? thus preventing more people from moving here? then, add on top of that the fact that people with money usually have less children than poor people which doesn't help the population at all. it may sound stupid but its a thought.
I think NYC is slowly but surely becoming a city for the affluent. Most of the people that I know who are leaving New York are people who simply can't afford the rising cost of living, and it's not just low income people, but a lot of middle income residents as well. Usually the people who complain the least make the most money.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,278,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdk94 View Post
also keep in mind how many people from the north (and the west) are leaving their cities to move to the south because of the affordability. Im tell you, most people wouldn't move to a city if they cant afford it (and believe me, most working class/middle class people cant afford nyc) regardless whether it has better neighborhoods or not. I mean, if you can afford a 3 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in nyc, then you can afford a 6 bedroom in an even better neighborhood somewhere south. And don't tell me "well, in nyc you have more things to do, therefore it would be best living here." again, most people will choose affordability over amenities any day.
c/s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City