Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You are right Seventh but I think it is because it was but isn't any longer. I don't know if there any of the Irish left in Washington Heights. Are there?
Inwood definitely still has a small contingent with a few bars,etc.
The Irish bars are still there, but I'm not sure there are any Irish patrons left .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
I heard it can be quite easy as long as you stick within the irish network in cities such as Boston and NY see the other posts on this thread. Im curious about what they do when/if they find you also
I wouldn't know what to tell you because I don't know anyone who has ever been "caught " though it must happen.I have hung out with many "out of status"(overstayed their travel visa) Irish and I have never heard anyone even worry about being "caught".I have met many,however,who would like to go home and visit family and friends but can't leave because they might not get back in.It's a tough place to be in.

If you really investigate,however, there are a number of special visa programs that allow many to stay for long periods or go back and forth .The airfares aren't that much.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
I hope to get a 1 year student visa (the US has started one just for the irish now) move to NY, and see where i get from there.. I don't know how they would view an Irish degree there, ill probably have to get a masters if i have any hope of a visa or job
I think everyone is aware here that Ireland has one of the most highly educated populations on earth. The Irish educational system is well respected.That's what led to the "Celtic Tiger",an over abundance of highly educated workers.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM

30 posts, read 160,591 times
Maspeth in Queens is a good place to live. I moved from Dublin here 13 months ago and i love it. The only disadvantage is i'm not on a train route but on a good day i can be in Manhattan in 35 mins having to get a bus and two trains. Woodside isnt as popular with irish as it used to be. Irish delis are closing and even the black taxi cabs are complaining theres no irish around anymore. Sunnyside is pretty irish too and is probably the best out of three for good nightlife if you dont want to make a trip into Manhattan and pay Manhattan prices. Come summer all three areas will fill up with irish j1's and in fairness there good craic. I planned on moving to woodlawn but changed my mind at the last minute because i knew friends in Maspeth. I've been up to woodlawn quite a bit and its brilliant irish atmosphere up there but honestly its too far from the city especially if you have too take trains and metro north every day.

As for being illegal Saturday Night in Manhattan is called OPERATION GREENCARD =]

Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM

56 posts, read 124,158 times
Quote:
im not looking for places where its almost exclusively irish. Kinda would like to experience other cultures a bit!
Well, Bold Girl, one thing you will quickly find out about New York is you will experience other cultures every day you are here. No place is exclusively anything.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
washington heights was heavily irish too...how come nobody ever talks about that?
University Heights was a heavily Irish neighborhood. In fact, an article of the neighborhood from 1984 reffered to the neighborhood as primarily Hispanic and Irish. The northwest Bronx and upper Manhattan where Irish strongholds back in those days.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM

165 posts, read 605,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean byran View Post
As for being illegal Saturday Night in Manhattan is called OPERATION GREENCARD =]
I like your style duude what you working as?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM

30 posts, read 160,591 times
I'm bartending now but was in construction. I can fall back on both which is pretty sweet cause i get bored in the same job too long and lose intrest.

When are you thinking about coming? If you need anymore info i can help if you want.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 21,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyleNo10 View Post
Well, Bold Girl, one thing you will quickly find out about New York is you will experience other cultures every day you are here. No place is exclusively anything.
Yeah i understand that i just meant that I wouldnt go to new york and only search 4 housing in the areas that have lots of Irish. I know that some irish people when they move out here first they only feel comfortable and think its better to live amongst other irish for a while.

By the way...cailindana...bold girl...you know the irish language! Mod cut: English only per TOS.

As a matter of fact is it actually spoken that much out here? I remember reading an article about a year ago (cannot recall the newspaper) that there is a little Gaeltacht or Irish language speaking area in Westchester. Obviously its not a huge number of people but its nice for a fluent speaker to see the native language living at home and abroad!

By the way....Operation Greencard...i can imagine the fun!

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: English ONLY per TOS.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM

165 posts, read 605,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean byran View Post
I'm bartending now but was in construction. I can fall back on both which is pretty sweet cause i get bored in the same job too long and lose intrest.

When are you thinking about coming? If you need anymore info i can help if you want.
thanks!well im still i college at the moment, hoping to get one of them student visas for 1 year and go from there.. if i couldnt get a work visa i'd probably just stay over as an illegal!
Is it hard over there as an illegal or does no one really care? you ever hear of anyone getting caught?
whats your plan in the long run?would you like to get citizenship eventually somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City