U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
12,344 posts, read 24,303,433 times
Reputation: 10308


If you think the apartment should fall under rent stabilization, you can bring certain papers, such as your lease, and visit the DHCR office for your borough. Check the website to see what the rules are, what to bring, and when they are open. Frequently Asked Questions

If it's not rent stabilized, then the landlord can ask whatever he or she wants to ask for the rent, provided you are coming up to the end of a lease term. This is what market rent is all about. I have a friend in Cobble Hill who is paying $1600 a month for a small one bedroom and the landlord has notified her that the increase will be $500 a month (to $2100) for the next lease term. So she is moving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top