Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 PM

53 posts, read 267,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We´re a Danish family who live in Queens right now, but we don´t think the area is nice/lively/cultured, and more importantly, our son is not happy at school, though this school is rated very good, it weighs rules over consideration into unique situations. Meaning, my son who doesn´t speak English yet, does not receive any extra help in school, leaving him to feel utterly inferior and insecure since his class in kindergarden are about to get ready for tests. It´s horrible. We´d hoped for the school to be warm and welcoming, but they haven´t even put his name on the table, like the teacher did with all the other students names, or his picture on the board, leaving him to feel estranged and left-over.
As our unhappy situation only seems to deepen, we´ve decided to try to find another school in a friendlier neighbourhood.

I need info on private schools broklynfreeschool, holynameofjesus or st.savier in Brooklyn

As 1 school is in Park Slope, another in Windsor Terrace and the third close to 21st street, I´d be happy to know if they would accept my son at this time of the year (he turned 5 in late November, he doesn´t speak English yet, only understands bits and pieces), in April 2009 into kindergarden or even pre-k? I´d like for him to start kindergarden from September again in order to learn the language properly and thereby be able to make friends.

We´d love to live close to Manhattan, in a safe area, maybe even IN Manhattan? (But, is Manhattan any good for kids?). I´m thinking maybe Brooklyn, it seems like a lively area (supermarkets, bars, exciting boutiques, restaurants, art). But, how and where do we get the most bang for our bucks, we can only afford around 1800/mo. on a rental, if we can find a nice catholic school (they are supposedly cheaper??) with yealy tuitions below 5000/year that will admit our son now, we´d have peace in our hearts.

Please. Any piece of advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-04-2009 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Added snippet from second post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,499,121 times
First I would speak to the teacher and insist that your son's spot at the table be labeled and his picture put up ASAP. If that doesn't happen right away, speak to the principal about those two things. I would also ask how they are teaching your son as an "English as a Second Language" (ESL) student.

Then call the three schools you mentioned and ask if they are accepting applications for immediate admissions and/or September admissions, and if you can make an appointment to visit the school with your son. Ask how they teach ESL students through the grades.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 PM

53 posts, read 267,167 times
Hi clevedark,

Thank you for response, I´ve given up on the curretn school now, I´ve spoken to the assistant principal on the belowmentioned issues twice and nothing´s changed. I´m looking for another apt. now in Park Slope, and I´ll call the schools asap hoping he´ll be accepted. I´m in despair if they don´t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
First I would speak to the teacher and insist that your son's spot at the table be labeled and his picture put up ASAP. If that doesn't happen right away, speak to the principal about those two things. I would also ask how they are teaching your son as an "English as a Second Language" (ESL) student.

Then call the three schools you mentioned and ask if they are accepting applications for immediate admissions and/or September admissions, and if you can make an appointment to visit the school with your son. Ask how they teach ESL students through the grades.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,254,530 times
That's so heartbreaking that your son is being treated that way by any teacher in a school, where his needs are not being met, nor is he afforded the common courtesy of a name/picture as a bridge to making friends. I agree that you need to get him out of that situation now.

Yes, Catholic schools will generally be less expensive, though they may not have the best ESL facilities. If you could also find a good outside tutor to work with your son, that would help to prepare him for kindergarten next year.

Brooklyn might be a good fit for you, but Manhattan for ~$1800 is not going to be in a great area with a good school. If you would not mind being a little futher from Manhattan, Riverdale in the Bronx is an option, and there are some very good public schools and some Catholic schools in Riverdale/Kingsbridge as well (St. Margaret's and St. John's to name two), but it's not as lively as Brooklyn, more quiet and exclusively residential outside of a couple of shopping/restaurant districts.

Here's a link to the eslteachers' site that has a section where you can search for a private tutor in your area. It might be worth investigating to see if you could supplement your son's English learning at home in a non-threatening environment. ESL Teachers Board

And, I am so sorry that your first experience with a school in the US, and NYC has been such a bad experience for your family. I think that you should be able to get things squared away for your son, but it's just awful that a modicum of courtesy is not extended to him. There's so much to learn when someone is from another country. And, it's a tremendous resource to have someone in a classroom that's from a different country or culture, since there's a wealth of tradition and that student's own language that can be shared to build a bridge and form a foundation from which all can benefit. At such a young age, it's all about discovery and learning about the world around them.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishmomNYC View Post
Hi clevedark,

Thank you for response, I´ve given up on the curretn school now, I´ve spoken to the assistant principal on the belowmentioned issues twice and nothing´s changed. I´m looking for another apt. now in Park Slope, and I´ll call the schools asap hoping he´ll be accepted. I´m in despair if they don´t.
I'm sorry. But things will get better! Keep plugging away. If you decide in the end to leave NYC, consider Maplewood or Montclair in NJ. Decent schools, diverse population, nice old housing stock walkable, nice downtowns, where, for example, loads of people move after Park Slope stops working for them in terms of living space and nature and green. We lived there for a few years when my kids were small and we all loved it.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM

508 posts, read 2,114,141 times
I hate to hear children being mistreated and feeling isolated. I really hope that you find a better school and area for your child.

In Brooklyn, I would recommend Park Slope, Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens though I am not sure how much rents are in these locations, but I have heard good things about the schools in these areas.

Rents have come down in Manhattan but I am not sure how much space you would get in your price range. You could always look though.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 AM

30 posts, read 52,900 times
move to white plains its safe and nicely cultured and the public schools are great the best i hear is in scarsdale but its expensive to love in scarsdale
white plains has nice catholic schools too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City