U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 13,549 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - I'm going to be visiting NYC for the first time this month, and plan on spending lots of time wandering the city on foot and via the subway. I'll be alone for most of my trip, and would like to see as much of the city as I can.

I live in Los Angeles, but I've never been to NY, so I have no idea what to expect. People always ask me if I'm in a band because I have "cool" hair, and I like to wear edgy/designer clothing - but am I safe wandering around wearing a $1000 outfit with $400 Versace sunglasses and a designer leather messenger bag? Or does that just slap a huge target on my forehead to get robbed?

I realize this all makes me sound like a lame fashion victim but trust me, it is in moderation. I can easily rock a t-shirt, jeans and a cap and blend into a crowd.

I'll be staying near Times Square, but my adventures will take me everywhere, including the lower east side.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,522,083 times
What makes you think that someone is going to take the shoes off your feet? You'll see everyone wearing EVERYTHING in NYC. It's NYC, not Baghdad. It's a pretty safe city.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What makes you think that someone is going to take the shoes off your feet? You'll see everyone wearing EVERYTHING in NYC. It's NYC, not Baghdad. It's a pretty safe city.
Hahaha! Your message made me legitimately LOL! I know I'm being a bit ridiculous, like I said I just have no idea what to expect.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 AM

214 posts, read 961,812 times
It's the fashion capital of the world. I'm sure there would be people wearing clothes several times more expensive than what you mentioned you'll be wearing.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
It's the fashion capital of the world. I'm sure there would be people wearing clothes several times more expensive than what you mentioned you'll be wearing.
Oh, I don't doubt it. I should have been clearer on my question. I know that most of the city is going to be gorgeous and safe, I'm just trying to get a feel for the areas I should avoid if I end up walking around alone at night or something.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,796,145 times
I think you might blend well in Harlem

Old 04-05-2009, 07:00 PM

5,726 posts, read 19,032,095 times
Listen you can get robbed anywhere.

Even in NYC.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,606,061 times
I felt perfectly safe in NYC, and I didn't dress particularly badly. I think it's important to be alert but not paranoid, no matter where you go. I saw so many obvious tourists in NYC who looked far more vulnerable targets than someone who is a 'slave to fashion'.
Make yourself feel at home in NYC, find a regular cafe/diner, get to know the staff a bit (assuming you'll have time to do this), and they'll maybe let you in on some of the citys secrets. Or not. Heck, just be yourself and have a great time.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 23,859,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingsignal View Post
Hi Everyone - I'm going to be visiting NYC for the first time this month, and plan on spending lots of time wandering the city on foot and via the subway. I'll be alone for most of my trip, and would like to see as much of the city as I can.

I live in Los Angeles, but I've never been to NY, so I have no idea what to expect. People always ask me if I'm in a band because I have "cool" hair, and I like to wear edgy/designer clothing - but am I safe wandering around wearing a $1000 outfit with $400 Versace sunglasses and a designer leather messenger bag? Or does that just slap a huge target on my forehead to get robbed?

I realize this all makes me sound like a lame fashion victim but trust me, it is in moderation. I can easily rock a t-shirt, jeans and a cap and blend into a crowd.

I'll be staying near Times Square, but my adventures will take me everywhere, including the lower east side.

Thanks!
No. In NYC, even in bad neighborhoods, you will often see people with 4-digit or more outfits. It's not so much about clothes but the way you act. If you don't blend in and/or you do something that's really not street smart that's when you run into trouble.

BTW, I've been to L.A. It felt a lot less safe walking around. But maybe it was because I was not used to it.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-05-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM

304 posts, read 1,237,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If you don't blend in and/or you do something that's really not street smart that's when you run into trouble.
True. To blend in, just look purposeful-yet-casually-"aware" - no gawking, obvious aimlessness, or big public unfurling of street/subway maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: