Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymerlot View Post
Nothing left in Bensonhurst from the Italian American era. Almost everything gone on 86th St.. The bakeries, pork stores, barbers, you name it. I need to get out, but I don't know where. Lol
Why do you need to get out? Is crime skyrocketing or are math and literacy rates going downhill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 AM

275 posts, read 572,395 times
No, don't need to. I am looking to buy though and the Asian realtors and for sale signs are not in a language I understand. Also, many of their stores only have signs in a language that is not English. I am left to feel like an outcast where I have lived my entire life. I would prefer to live in a more diverse neighborhood, preferably close to the D, F, N or Q.

Last edited by citymerlot; 02-12-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have been in Bensonhurst / Bath Beach for the last 25 years, Italians are there but not as much, mostly the older ones have stayed behind. The the Russians came in back in the 1990's, but they rent and are very transient. Now the Asians are coming in more, but they are the ones that are buying the homes. They are nice enough so that;s a good thing. I like all the flowers and plants they put in front of the homes.
I like plants and flowers too. And I'm with you with the stainless steel. Ugh..but they must have their reasons. Whenever I walk to Kissena Park with my mom, I enjoy and appreciate passing homes where their lawns are well taken care of and those who make the effort to make their homes and surroundings beautiful and nice. Just sayin'.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:42 PM

260 posts, read 433,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why do you need to get out? Is crime skyrocketing or are math and literacy rates going downhill?
In every measurable way, the Chinese make neighborhoods better. Their children have very high standardized test scores and assimilate quite well, and the immigrants commit very low rates of violent crime.

However, the Chinese can be dirty. I think Italian-American old-timers have more subjective problems with them, mostly just missing the days when Bensonhurst was all Italian. Funny when Italian Americans complain about language barrier though. Quite a few of the old-timers from Italy still converse in the native tongue.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,807 times
Back in the 1970 and may be earlier it was consider Italian nieborhood._Around mid 80s started changing to mix races.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Does anyone lament that Bensonhurst is no longer a Jewish neighborhood?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:31 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
i am just thankful that it's a safe neighborhood. that's really all that matters to me. it certainly isn't a cosmopolitan neighborhood. not for young people whatsoever. mostly old people or those too poor to move out to a better neighborhood that is more lively. again, the safety is nice. you do kind of need a car in most parts lest you walk about 15-20 minutes to the bus or train (this is tough in the snow or boiling hot sun).

my comparison is being made with livelier places like soho in nyc or park slope and williamsburg in bklyn. that's where the young and full of life crowd is. and yes i still some older italian guys in bensonhurst. this new generation grew up racially integrated, at least compared to past ones, so racism and such lines of thinking are less likely but i do see racism ingrained in kids (teens) from their parents that i meet regardless of race (chinese stick to their own kind, blacks hate whites because they aren't white themselves, and whites rather not associate with blacks).

personally i lament nothing. everything changes. to try and hold on is foolish. gotta keep up with the times and accept change and adapt instantly. that's the only way the human mind can survive or else you will be a very unhappy person throughout life.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I like it here in Bath beach, I don't want the neighborhood to be hip and trendy, I don't want to live with hipsters or what ever they call themselves. I like the dull, quiet regular working people that just want to live in a regular neighborhood. I'm not here 27 years for nothing....

It's more of a mixture of people now days, not really one specific nationality.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:33 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I like it here in Bath beach, I don't want the neighborhood to be hip and trendy, I don't want to live with hipsters or what ever they call themselves. I like the dull, quiet regular working people that just want to live in a regular neighborhood. I'm not here 27 years for nothing....

It's more of a mixture of people now days, not really one specific nationality.
hear ye hear ye

The reason we have different languages and cultures on Earth is BECAUSE we can not live together. Not every belief is compatible with every other. Not every person WANTS to live with every other. You cannot force it. This is the result. In fact, you see the result around the globe every day. People have a right to associate with those they chose. And this 'multi-culturalism' is simply a way to divide and conquer. No society can exist without common culture and values. And this is why we have racial/cultural/religious enclaves in multicultural societies, especially like the muslim no-go zones in London for non-muslims.

Observe and learn.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^^^

Well, in regards to the post above, Bath Beach is a very diverse neighborhood, and cheap compared to today's standards. I am Greek, the owners of my building are Greek, we have a few Italians left over, a lot of new Chinese families are moving in also. There are plenty of Mexicans, Guatamalans, Indians, and along Bath Ave we have many Muslims, and there are also a few black families mixed in as well.....

We all go shopping on the avenue, we play in the park, we walk on the street, we stroll along the promenade at the Gravesend Bay.

In 27 years that I have been living here I have yet to witness any fighting, name calling or problems with any of these nationalities...

so we seem to be doing something right here.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City