Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

It can be done in a week, but I don't think it's the best way to go about it, especially if you're on a tight budget. For a lot of people in NYC, your apartment is your refuge, so you don't want to repent at leisure.

Craigslist is the most popular source these days, but don't forget about the NYT. Also, something new started recently called Renthop - not sure how good it is, but it's supposed to be no-fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM

204 posts, read 813,181 times
I met with a no fee only broker last week and saw about 10 apartments in 3 hours in the Financial District. The broker used the first apartment as a gauge then we adjusted accordingly to the next apartment. You could definitely find an apartment and sign the lease in a morning if you wanted too.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM

115 posts, read 393,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
I met with a no fee only broker last week and saw about 10 apartments in 3 hours in the Financial District. The broker used the first apartment as a gauge then we adjusted accordingly to the next apartment. You could definitely find an apartment and sign the lease in a morning if you wanted too.
I just posted another thread about whether I just got in over my head (I don't think so and the landlord obviously didn't either or they wouldn't rent it ), but I'll tell you here about my experience finding the place.

I decided I wanted to move to Hell's Kitchen/Midtown West. I posted an ad on CL that I was looking, and what the criteria were. I was contacted by a no-fee broker (from Citi Habitats, a pretty reputable company). She showed me some things within the price range I'd advertised, but they were too small. The person showing me the apartment (landlord representative, not the broker) mentioned that he had a 1BR for more than I was looking to spend, but not more than I thought I could afford.

I went to look at the 1BR and fell in love immediately . I put in my application on the spot, but had to get the normal documentation to him (bank statements, tax return, employment verification, pay stubs....). I was approved the next day, could have signed a lease then but waited til Sunday.

Long story short, total time from seeing a place to signature was 4 days, could have been two. So it's definitely doable in a week.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
I put in my application on the spot, but had to get the normal documentation to him (bank statements, tax return, employment verification, pay stubs....). I was approved the next day, could have signed a lease then but waited til Sunday.

Long story short, total time from seeing a place to signature was 4 days, could have been two. So it's definitely doable in a week.
One of the keys to a quick turn-around is to have all your documentation ready before you meet with a broker/landlord. That way you're ready to go as soon as you see a place you like.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
One of the keys to a quick turn-around is to have all your documentation ready before you meet with a broker/landlord. That way you're ready to go as soon as you see a place you like.
I agree. Although I was not ready to sign a lease last week, I still carried all of the documentation I could have needed to sign an apartment in case you find that one steal. I did find a steal, but the lease started too soon .... I will make sure I am ready next time! I probably could have signed for it anyways with how cheap it was.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 16,032 times
Default success!

hey all - well i just got back yesterday from my apartment searching week and wanted to let anyone who's curious know that it was a pretty easy experience. signed a lease on a great 1-br in the east village for $2000/mo after about 3 days of searching. i pretty much exclusively used craigslist to set up showings with brokers for no-fee apartments. i didn't encounter any bait and switch type stuff - i just called on places with pictures, and saw what was posted plus some other stuff the brokers had. saw one that i liked on the 3rd day and put in an application right after seeing it...it went through and i signed a lease the next day. definitely helped to have the necessary paperwork ready to go. it was much less stressful than i imagined...as long as you are prepared to put in some legwork (literally walking around all day looking at 10-15 apartments) and preparation (paperwork, neighborhood research), it CAN be done in just a few days. if anyone has any more specific questions, feel free to message me.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:42 PM

Great to hear that it went so well. Sounds like a nice price for EV

Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 54,875 times
This past week I went into to the city and secured an apartment in 2 days. I did my research before hand and all of my leads came up empty handed. I found an open house on Craigslist. It was for a 6 hour time slot. I went down and viewed the apartment. I left them $200 to stop showing the apartment and signed the lease the next day.

The biggest advise I can give is to bring all of the documentation you will need. I brought 6 check stubs, W2, letter from my boss, and my credit report. I also prepared a list of references (past landlords, employers). If I didn't qualify for the apartment I didn't want to waste time, so the credit report and credit score is worth it.

I got my credit report for free and only paid a few dollars for the credit score. Clark Howard (on CNN) talked about annual credit report https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp . It was completely free and you didn't have to sign-up for any thing.

My total cost was Security deposit + first month + Fee ($300).

Good luck

Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM

89 posts, read 297,458 times
Amen.......tru dat. Came here on a Sunday, went apartment hunting on Monday, signed the lease on Tuesday. Flew back home (now ex home) on a Wednesday to pack.

Come prepared. I have said this before and I'll say it again.......Landlords here will not accept a personal check for your initial deposit. Bring a cashier's check, money order or cash.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
I realize this post is nearly four years old but i am in the exact same situation. I am from Florida and moving to New York to go to school. I need to search and sign a lease in one day. I was wondering how you went about doing this? If you have any advice. I was thinking of going with a broker and trying to set up appointments. I tried craiglist but was unsuccessful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: