Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,265 times

Advertisements

I'm a young woman in my early twenties trying to get away from my past. right now I live in the west coast, Los Angeles . I want to start over my life far away from my past. I dropped out of four year college two years ago. I don't have much money in my hand but I have some to start.

Which is better Brooklyn or Queen?

I'm a pretty bright person, open minded, love walking, nature freaks, an explorer, and very mature for my age.

I can use some tips from you guys before I make up my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I'd say QUEENS.

I lived in NYC for a few years...and Brooklyn has some hard edges and a bit of attitude at times. Queens seemed to lack though. That's as a very general rule.

Of course there are some good places in Brooklyn and bad places in Queens...but GENERALLY Queens has an overall more comfortable less edge feel that Brooklyn...GENERALLY speaking here.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 84,124 times
I've been to Brooklyn and Queens before.
Brooklyn has a lot of deli's, small resturants, etc.
The neighborhoods are pretty small, I'm sure you'd get to know your neighbors in a short time.
There is a lot to do in Brooklyn as far as going to resturants, etc.

Queens is a small version on Manhatten, in my opinion.
Many resturants as well.
I haven't seen the neighborhoods, though.
So, I can't really say a lot of about Queens.

Brooklyn and Queens are pretty similar.
You'll see more kosher markets in Brooklyn, though.
You'll notice that a lot.
I suggest choosing Brooklyn, like I said there is a lot to do there.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,265 times
thank you Tiger beer and peachysiren, your reply's were very helpful. I think I'm going for Queens...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachysiren View Post
I've been to Brooklyn and Queens before.
Brooklyn has a lot of deli's, small resturants, etc.
The neighborhoods are pretty small, I'm sure you'd get to know your neighbors in a short time.
There is a lot to do in Brooklyn as far as going to resturants, etc.

Queens is a small version on Manhatten, in my opinion.
Many resturants as well.
I haven't seen the neighborhoods, though.
So, I can't really say a lot of about Queens.

Brooklyn and Queens are pretty similar.
You'll see more kosher markets in Brooklyn, though.
You'll notice that a lot.
I suggest choosing Brooklyn, like I said there is a lot to do there.
Maybe Brooklyn is a small version of Manhattan, but I don't see how Queens is. Queens and Manhattan have very little in common IMO.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You said you didn't have much money...there's nothing inherently bad with that, but this is an EXPENSIVE city. You'll be astounded at the burn rate of your money.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You said you didn't have much money...there's nothing inherently bad with that, but this is an EXPENSIVE city. You'll be astounded at the burn rate of your money.
That may have been a key factor in me not moving to NYC. I dont recommend you moving to NY without money. At least, not without something to last you for a while.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
To me, it's no contest...

Queens is much more to MY liking than Brooklyn.
I think it's a nicer, more colorful and safer place.

But it really depends on what you like.

You may find it in both Brooklyn and Queens.

I don't know what kind of money you're saying you have to start though.
Money doesn't last long or go far for any level of comfort round these parts.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 56,685 times
Brookyln tends to have a better subway system, and if you love in northern brooklyn, you will be a stones throw away from manhattans prime areas. North Brooklyn has many different influences from queens to manhattan.

Queens always felt isolated to me. Like if you are in queens, you are in queens, no need to go to manhattan.

But then again I'm a north brooklyn dude, so I'm right in the spot to head to either manhattan or queens.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by repz View Post
Brookyln tends to have a better subway system, and if you love in northern brooklyn, you will be a stones throw away from manhattans prime areas. North Brooklyn has many different influences from queens to manhattan.

Queens always felt isolated to me. Like if you are in queens, you are in queens, no need to go to manhattan.

But then again I'm a north brooklyn dude, so I'm right in the spot to head to either manhattan or queens.
This isn't exactly true.. if you live in east Queens then yes, but west Queens is different.. there's not as many subway lines as in Brooklyn, but that's because it cuts through the borough rather than separating to different sections. It's not very isolated either, unless you choose to live in the suburbs closer to Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: