Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 20,528 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to the 5/4 Yanks/Red Sox game. This game is on a monday NIGHT. I'm assuming that the game will end somewhere between 10-11pm. My question is, how safe is it to ride the subway from the Stadium to Journal Square in NJ? How populated is the subway at that time of night on a monday? I know that when we leave the game, there will be alot of other people on the subway, but I guess I'm worried about that crowd thinning out the farther we get from the stadium.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,231 times
You will be ok, just follow the necessary precautions that you would follow in a NYC subway station at any time. It should be a lot of people going to the subway after the game, so just stick with the crowd, if you are uncomfortable.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
The subway lines from Yankee Stadium, whether you take the D or the #4, will be absolutely packed full of people. And plenty of them will be making the transfer to PATH at 34 Street, so you won't be alone!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks! I'm feeling a little better now. I've only been to day games - no night games, so this is a first.

This is an off-topic question, but the first time I went to NYC was in the summer of 1990. My (then) boyfriend and I took the subway (somewhere), and there wasn't a SOUL down there. It was empty. I can't remember where we were even going at that point, but I just found it odd that it was so deserted, unlike Penn Station, which was packed. Would this have anything to do with the high crime rate of that year? I only ask this out of sheer curiosity.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM

223 posts, read 613,554 times
Actually, you may find that there are too many people on the trains after the game. Also, there will be plenty of police officers around the stadium and I wouldn't be surprised if they have plain clothes officers on the trains to keep an eye out too.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellarix View Post
Thanks! I'm feeling a little better now. I've only been to day games - no night games, so this is a first.

This is an off-topic question, but the first time I went to NYC was in the summer of 1990. My (then) boyfriend and I took the subway (somewhere), and there wasn't a SOUL down there. It was empty. I can't remember where we were even going at that point, but I just found it odd that it was so deserted, unlike Penn Station, which was packed. Would this have anything to do with the high crime rate of that year? I only ask this out of sheer curiosity.
No, not really. That year was around the height of the crack era. Which resulted in higher crime rates in general.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
Actually, you may find that there are too many people on the trains after the game. Also, there will be plenty of police officers around the stadium and I wouldn't be surprised if they have plain clothes officers on the trains to keep an eye out too.
Yeah, I know how packed they can get right after a game. I'm not really concerned about when I leave the stadium. My concern is how much the crowd might disperse the farther I get from the stadium. Sounds like there will be plenty of people making the transfer that I'll be making, which makes me feel better. I just hope there's still a decent amount of people on there ALL THE WAY to Journal Square, lol.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellarix View Post
Yeah, I know how packed they can get right after a game. I'm not really concerned about when I leave the stadium. My concern is how much the crowd might disperse the farther I get from the stadium. Sounds like there will be plenty of people making the transfer that I'll be making, which makes me feel better. I just hope there's still a decent amount of people on there ALL THE WAY to Journal Square, lol.
There will be a large crowd walking from the stadium to the subway. Just stick with them.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Maybe I should clarify. When I said that I worry about how much the crowd will disperse the farther I get from the stadium, I meant how much will the crowds on the TRAINS disperse the farther the train gets from the stadium. I'm not worried about getting to the subway from the stadium. I know there will be a huge crowd. I'm worried about getting all the way to Journal Square w/o being one of only a few people on the train (or at least the car I'm riding in).

Old 04-08-2009, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 35,744 times
i remember whilst visiting last summer and taking the path back to NJ.
I was coming back from queens on the subway around 1am and took the path back to hoboken. It was abso fine and i felt no danger. There was at least 15 people in my car and this was a tuesday night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City