Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,768 times

Advertisements

So the question is in regards to how girls perceive studio apartments in Manhattan. I'm from the Midwest, so I don't understand the idea of living in a studio apartment for $2,000. But I plan on going apartment hunting in the West Village/Greenwich Village, and it looks like studio apartments and studio lofts fall around $2K in that neighborhood.

My question is this: What would the various stereotypical NYC girls (NYU grad student, art chick, yuppie, etc.) think when they walks into a guy's apartment in the WV/GV and it's a studio/studio loft? And I mean a 400-700 sq ft. studio, not some massive 1500 sq ft studio.

Apologies for asking about stereotypical responses, but I'm hhoping to get a broad sense of what different groups of people in Manhattan would react to walking into a studio. Individual impressions are also welcomed and encouraged!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
They'd probably be impressed that you have your own apartment in a nice neighborhood in Manhattan. Location over size, definitely.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Good luck finding a 700 sq ft studio for $2,000 in the West Village.700 sq feet is a 2 br in most of Manhattan.My guess is that most studios in the West Village are closer to 400 sq ft ... or even less.I have seen many in the 250 to 300 sq ft range.

I think most intelligent people,including the types you mentioned above,would question your judgement (sanity) for spending $24,000/yr to rent a big walk- in closet.Especially in today's economy.

By the way,your income should be at least $100,000/yr if you are going to spend $24,000 on rent.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Good luck finding a 700 sq ft studio for $2,000 in the West Village.700 sq feet is a 2 br in most of Manhattan.My guess is that most studios in the West Village are closer to 400 sq ft ... or even less.I have seen many in the 250 to 300 sq ft range.

I think most intelligent people,including the types you mentioned above,would question your judgement (sanity) for spending $24,000/yr to rent a big walk- in closet.Especially in today's economy.

By the way,your income should be at least $100,000/yr if you are going to spend $24,000 on rent.
Sorry, bluedog, you're not correct. 700 square feet can be a tiny 1 BR, but NOT a 2 BR. However, $2000 for a studio in the Village would be a steal.

And, please, they're WOMEN, not girls.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravelaxer View Post
So the question is in regards to how girls perceive studio apartments in Manhattan. I'm from the Midwest, so I don't understand the idea of living in a studio apartment for $2,000. But I plan on going apartment hunting in the West Village/Greenwich Village, and it looks like studio apartments and studio lofts fall around $2K in that neighborhood.

My question is this: What would the various stereotypical NYC girls (NYU grad student, art chick, yuppie, etc.) think when they walks into a guy's apartment in the WV/GV and it's a studio/studio loft? And I mean a 400-700 sq ft. studio, not some massive 1500 sq ft studio.

Apologies for asking about stereotypical responses, but I'm hhoping to get a broad sense of what different groups of people in Manhattan would react to walking into a studio. Individual impressions are also welcomed and encouraged!!!

Honestly, if a women turns her nose up at a 2000$ month place in the West Village b/c of its size, do you really care? Would you want to date that women anyway???

And why do you have to live in the West Village? If you are worried about sizs and cost, thats the last place you probably need to be looking.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
First off, I would suggest you moving uptown a little, where $2K/month might be able to get you a 1-bedroom if your worried about the size of a studio. I have a friend who pays $1,400/month for a 1-bedroom (around 500sq ft.) in Hells Kitchen area and another that pays $1,800 for a nice-sized 1-bedroom (650sq ft) in Upper East Side.

Second, I hope you have a good paying job. Otherwise, for $2K on rent, in addition to your utilities and expenses of living in NYC, can leave you living on bread and ramen noodles if you don't have a decent paying job. If you follow the "40X rule", you would need to make about $80K-$90K/annually.

Third, there are all types of women (or girls depending on how old you are) in NYC. Most won't care that your in a studio as long as your not living at home with Mom and Dad. But some won't give you the time of day if you don't drive a Mercedes and wear $400 jeans

Welcome to NYC!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sorry, bluedog, you're not correct. 700 square feet can be a tiny 1 BR, but NOT a 2 BR. However, $2000 for a studio in the Village would be a steal.

And, please, they're WOMEN, not girls.
How do you figure that a 2BR can't be 700 sq ft? If each bedroom is 10x12(which isn't that small for myc), that leaves 460 sq ft for a living room,kitchen and bathroom.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM

68 posts, read 323,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
How do you figure that a 2BR can't be 700 sq ft? If each bedroom is 10x12(which isn't that small for myc), that leaves 460 sq ft for a living room,kitchen and bathroom.
Yes with 460 sf remaining, a 2 BR apt will work just fine if you don't mind cooking and showering in the middle of your living room. (THAT will really bring in the girls.)

No really, a 700 sf studio or 1 BR apt will work nicely but not as a 2 BR'er - trust me.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM

493 posts, read 664,906 times
It could be a 2-bdrm apt but that square footage is more like a typical 1-bdrm.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
I had a "Bachelorette" pad in Queens that was no where near 700 square feet.

I paid $550 a month for it. (This was, of course, some years ago)

And it was superfly!

first floor with windows looking out onto a main street, across from a shopping center

my computer desk on one side and my sofa by day/bed by night on the other

white carpet speckled with brown, black and yellow - kinda hard but beautiful

a bean bag and a huge pillow seat

exotic plants with lots of sunlight coming through the windows

a little art work on the walls

little glue mirror squares on the closet doors

I put down some funky pink tiles in the kitchen

I even had two goldfish although it was "no pets allowed"

Oh the memories, my very first apartment.

I loved that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City