Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 6,656 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

So my partner and I are moving to the city to start grad school. We have some savings, and have borrowed some money for the grad school costs, but until we find jobs our money will be quite tight. A friend of mine wants us to move to Washington Heights near where he lives (West 177th street). I've found some apartments in our price range there, but am worried it's not so safe. He's lived in NYC his whole life and swears it's fine, but I still remember a few years ago when he complained to me that he had been jumped on the way home from the market.

Any advice or impressions about Washington Heights?

Thanks!

- C

PS - He also mentioned Morningside Heights, because it is close to Columbia where I'm going to school. But, it also appears to be in Harlem, or in the center of some kind of gentrification war that I don't quite understand. Any info at that neighborhood would also be appreciated.

Last edited by ThatNarrowFellow; 04-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Above 168th and WEST of Broadway is safer than other areas, but you still always need to be careful.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
It's the hood. Make your own judgement.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
I live in Morningside Heights. It is not considered part of Harlem proper. It has always been a diverse neighborhood economically, racially, and ethnically.

Does Columbia have an office that will help students with housing? It is hard to find an apt in Morningside Heights because most of the housing is coop.

There may be more apts available in nearby Manhattan Valley (area of W 110th - W 96th St, between Central Park West and Riverside Dr) this area is pretty safe, but not cheap. However much cheaper than below 96th St.

Or in South Harlem above 110th below 125th going East from Manhattan Ave to Lenox Ave. In the case of South Harlem you have to go on a block by block basis. But overall it is safe and it is convenient. It is the same in price range to Morningside Heights and Manhattan Valley.

You should also look around in Hamilton Heights section of Harlem. Also like South Harlem it is still on a block by block basis. All of these sections are more diverse now and you shouldn't have any problems. They are very convenient for transportation, and everyday shopping needs.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNarrowFellow View Post
Hello All,

So my partner and I are moving to the city to start grad school. We have some savings, and have borrowed some money for the grad school costs, but until we find jobs our money will be quite tight. A friend of mine wants us to move to Washington Heights near where he lives (West 177th street). I've found some apartments in our price range there, but am worried it's not so safe. He's lived in NYC his whole life and swears it's fine, but I still remember a few years ago when he complained to me that he had been jumped on the way home from the market.

Any advice or impressions about Washington Heights?

Thanks!

- C

PS - He also mentioned Morningside Heights, because it is close to Columbia where I'm going to school. But, it also appears to be in Harlem, or in the center of some kind of gentrification war that I don't quite understand. Any info at that neighborhood would also be appreciated.

Heavy Drug Trade, 3,4 homicides a month, You will be fine as long as you dont engage in criminal activity and watch your back for muggers.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Wash Heights has never really been know too much for muggings. Drug dealers get jacked all the time yeah but random people not so much. There was also a time when cab drivers would get jacked a lot but that has calmed down considerably.

I don't think Wash Heights is unsafe for the most part. However there are some really rowdy blocks and there are a lot of quality of life issues. It is easily one of the noisiest neighborhoods in NYC if not the most. West of Broadway is a lot quieter, but even if you lived west of, you would still do a lot of your shopping and general moving about east of Broadway.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Heavy Drug Trade, 3,4 homicides a month, You will be fine as long as you dont engage in criminal activity and watch your back for muggers.
Damn you think there are that many!! That's a lot of hidden bodies.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Damn you think there are that many!! That's a lot of hidden bodies.

Lol slight over exaggeration on my part more like 2 or 3 a month.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
I lived near 168th Street....actually I lived on 170th Street and Fort Washington...when you come out of the subway, you walk along a major hospital, and Fort Washington is quite 'normal'...so didn't have a problem.

But if you lived in other areas of Washington Heights, it wouldn't have been that liveable.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
all i gotta say is stay off audubon avenue that is the hood........

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City