Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times

Advertisements

Rappers are always claiming that even after they make it, that they still "kick it" in their "hoodS" Is this true? Do you still see nas in queensbridge? Jay in marcy, fat joe in the bronx etc etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Some rappers still hang out in their hood. Like Remy ma she used to hangout in castle hill. She even did a music video in her hood. Juelz Santana, Jim Jones still hangout in Harlem. Fat Joe is a sell out. He's a disgust to the Bronx. I'm not going to even go there. However, most people when they get to the top, they forget about their people or where they come from.

I saw Jay-z walking down on Times Square, Manhattan in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Rappers are always claiming that even after they make it, that they still "kick it" in their "hoodS" Is this true? Do you still see nas in queensbridge? Jay in marcy, fat joe in the bronx etc etc...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Some rappers still hang out in their hood. Like Remy ma she used to hangout in castle hill. She even did a music video in her hood. Juelz Santana, Jim Jones still hangout in Harlem. Fat Joe is a sell out. He's a disgust to the Bronx. I'm not going to even go there. However, most people when they get to the top, they forget about their people or where they come from.

I saw Jay-z walking down on Times Square, Manhattan in 2008.
Remy Ma lol, she's probably a bad example. She never really left the hood, and that's a big part of why she's in jail now. I think it's unrealistic to expect some of these guys to come back to their hoods. It would be great for them to help people from their neighborhoods with some sort of charity activity, but a lot of times people feel like they are owed something or that the neighborhood is owed something and I don't agree with that.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Fat Joe is a sell out. He's a disgust to the Bronx. I'm not going to even go there.[quote]

Ive heard this several times, i know he was supposed to take care of puns fam, and about 3 years ago wasnt his wife selling puns "terror squad" chain on ebay, cuz she had no money.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I would think they do. NY neighborhoods, almost regardless of where they are at, are actually pretty cool and interesting.

I think it is much different in other U.S. however...like in L.A., I'd imagine they'd go to the wealthy areas with all the other rappers and black actors and wealth or whatever.

But in NY...you take a place like Harlem, and it a very desireable neighborhood...or even out in Brooklyn, some areas might be tough, but still have a certain character or charm or whatever else.

Most other U.S. cities with ghettos are just pure undesireable places...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Wrong Tiger Beer. NY hoods are dangerous places to be, regardless if they are interesting.

I heard from a girl I know from from Forrest Houses that Joe is always around. But this was 2-3 years ago. Now he lives in Miami.

But rappers dont be going back for the most part.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Jim Jones doesnt go to Harlem the only time he was in harlem I saw him walking with like 6 bodyguards and this crew was about to get into a brawl with jones.........but santana still comes everybody in harlem likes santana.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Very rare you'll see big name rappers in their old neighborhoods, unless it's to promote their work or to do some video shoots. I know that ******** still visits Marcy for his annual toy drive. Many underground artists and those jumping in and out of the limelight still visit or even live in their 'hoods.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
I wouldn't call a rapper who moves out of his or her hood a sell out, as long as they come back, and contribute something to the community, and I can't blame them for moving out, no matter how popular they may be, if they got something that someone else want's, they'll get got just like the rest of us...
Now J-Lo is someone I consider a sellout, you never see her come back to the neighborhood, or rep her puerto rican pride unless it's a situation that will directly benefit her (record sales or promote a new movie)

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
You see alot of rappers at Rucker Park
Fat joe was just on southern boulevard not long ago
Saw jim jones chilling on the street on lennox
Ya their around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City