Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

Coming up to NYC for my birthday during probably the most expensive time, the last weekend of June. Taking the Chinatown bus from DC so transportation isn't an issue, but not looking to spend a lot of money, just $500 for hotel. Yeah yeah I know.

So staying at the Hilton in Manhattan is out or even Red Roof Inn. So I have seen rooms on craigslist in somebody's apartment for like $100 which sounds just right. But is it too good to be true? How are reservations handled? Heard that it's a bad idea for gals, but what about a dude that can take care of himself and who isn't picky?

What about staying in New Jersey? I'm not above it but I"m concerned about transportation from New York? Would I need to drive in order to do this? If so how much are tolls usually? If I stay in New Jersey would I be able to get to and from New York without a car or should I just drive? (I'd rather not drive but will if I have to) Do the ferries to Jersey City run at 4am when the bars close? Are there a lot of cabs going to New Jersey? Would my hotel savings be eaten by the expense of transportation?

What about Brooklyn or Queens? Same question as New Jersey?

So I appreciate any help. I might be able to get a hookup with an acquaintance that works for a hotel, but that's not set in stone. Everyone down here in VA and DC seems to have that one friend in New York they can crash with except me. Thanks y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
No joke, I forgot your first question by the time I got to your 5th question.

How many nights do you plan on staying for? Are you coming alone? If your coming with friends, you can share a room to save on the costs. I would avoid Jersey or Bklyn/Queens if you plan on going out and partying in the city all night. Cabs generally don't prefer leaving the city since they can't pick up a return fare and it will cost you like $35 and up to do so anyway.

If your not picky about where you stay or the quality of the hotel, you can try Priceline and name your price. Stick with midtown when you select the neighborhood so it's convenient to travel downtown or uptown unless you plan on staying in one area more than others. I had a friend visiting and they went through priceline and got a room at the Hudson (which is a pretty nice hotel) for around $160/night.

I'm not familiar with the room renting through craigslist so can't comment on that.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
If your looking at craigslist to rent a room in someones house you might as well look at CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time too.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 33,462 times
Go to craiglist hostels.com

Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 AM

20 posts, read 111,406 times
Look at vacation rentals in Manhattan on craigslist. You can stay in someone's whole apartment and it's way cheaper than a hotel. Plus you can see what it feels like to live in the city which you won't get at a hotel.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM

Well my next question would be is that safe? To use the vacation rental? Are there any scams I should watch out for?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
No joke, I forgot your first question by the time I got to your 5th question.

How many nights do you plan on staying for? Are you coming alone? If your coming with friends, you can share a room to save on the costs. I would avoid Jersey or Bklyn/Queens if you plan on going out and partying in the city all night. Cabs generally don't prefer leaving the city since they can't pick up a return fare and it will cost you like $35 and up to do so anyway.

If your not picky about where you stay or the quality of the hotel, you can try Priceline and name your price. Stick with midtown when you select the neighborhood so it's convenient to travel downtown or uptown unless you plan on staying in one area more than others. I had a friend visiting and they went through priceline and got a room at the Hudson (which is a pretty nice hotel) for around $160/night.

I'm not familiar with the room renting through craigslist so can't comment on that.

I"m coming up alone and have a budget of $500 which is why I'm being so cheap. Last time I was in New York price was less of a concern because I was spliting with a friend.

See even $160 is a little more than I want to spend but maybe I'll just have to cut my trip from 4 nights to three.

Thanks for the reply and the priceline idea.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 AM

326 posts, read 429,769 times
I always do the priceline. You get like a three or four star hotel for $120. You cannot beat that.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 PM

185 posts, read 752,062 times
Skip Jersey at all costs, the they have a different transportation syste so youll be paying double. Staten Island Is more convenient than Jersey.

Do searches on Bed and Breakfasts.

The following are good bargains/price, stuff to do around the area.
(That is if youd like a "New Yorker" Experience instead of the tourist experience)

St Marks Hotel in the East Village Manhattan is cheap (avoid first floor if possible) small rooms, great location, 1st floor charges hourly, quieter better familier rooms upstairs. Interesting/wild, but cheap, and not "bad" or anything.

Try Park House Hotel in Borough Park, Brooklyn, very dafe neighborhood, great food nearby, Kosher!! Jewish area, near subway, Huge Huge Rooms, (they are actually like the old family apartments, living room, kitchen, great deal, and good food!

Also this place was chep and Wonderful: Midwood Suites, in Brooklyn, spotlessly clean, chep rates,kosher, jewish area, Very safe, near train, apartment like. Amazing experience.

*And oh, skip Jersey Trust me, staying in Jersey will totally ruin the trip, unless you pla to visit Hersey insted of New York City

Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
Hotwire is great, and so is Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" feature. With both services, you will not know the name of the hotel until it is booked. You'll know the general region, the star-level, amenities, etc. It's a bit more of a pain in the rear end to deal with Priceline's Name Your Own Price booking system, but this is potentially the cheapest route. Hotwire is still very cheap, and just a slight notch higher in price generally. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I"m coming up alone and have a budget of $500 which is why I'm being so cheap. Last time I was in New York price was less of a concern because I was spliting with a friend.

See even $160 is a little more than I want to spend but maybe I'll just have to cut my trip from 4 nights to three.

Thanks for the reply and the priceline idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City