Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 27,292 times

Advertisements

Hi, I did a search but couldn't find a related post. I am a MBA student at UF (I know not a top school). My background is in Human Resource Management but I am a career changer to Finance/IT my concentration covers both. Is there any hope for someone like me finding a job in city? It seems like there would be nothing but I do see jobs posted online for companies like Deutsche. What would the salary be if I did find a job? Sorry if this is a dumb quesion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
You should apply for consulting jobs in enterprise resource planning and focus on the functional side. Companies like Deloitte, Bearing Point, IBM Global Services, Accenture, Booz Allen etc need people with the business expertise in Human Resources to act as liaisons between the software developers and the client to design the technology to improve the client's business processes. Your background would be ideal for this. Entry level jobs with an MBA in this field generally pay around 60 - 70K and then the next promotion rung is about 80 - 100k and once you become a director you'd be making about 120 - 150k. If you really want to make good money you can become a contractor and make upwards of 180K on average over a year. You'd probably have to travel a lot, but they will generally fly you back to NY on the weekends and you get a lot of paid time off between projects where you can work from home, and you'd only be working 4 days a week. It's a really great career because you never get bored sitting in the same office for years - every element of your job from the problems, co-workers, clients, location, etc changes every 6-12 months or so. Plus you get insane frequent flyer miles, i've clocked close to 150,000 miles over the year, which will get you 2 trips to anywhere in the world. Pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: