Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 17,426 times

Advertisements

Well, I just drove to the Trader Joes in Silverlake, and both parking lots were full, so I had to park 4 blocks away and walk... Guess driving just sucks everywhere those days, its just that in NY there's an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAllenX View Post
I can probably help you out, need your price range and what you're looking for 1 bedroom?

I've lived in Manhattan (moving back) and I've always had a car in the city. In my circles, everyone I knew had a car. After about a year, I grew to hate using the subway and avoided it like the plage. I couldn't adjust to the third-world lifestyle of having to depend on a train day in day out for the rest of my life.

Most of the people telling you to ditch your car don't know how to drive, have never owned one, and can't afford one. Using the car in the evenings/weekend is convenient,.. well at least to me. Especially on the UWS where traffic isn't like driving around Midtown and parking is relatively easy.

What is your price range? Bedrooms? And are you sure you want to live on the Upper West Side? It's a nice place, but have you been to any other neighborhoods? I lived on the UWS at one point and I lived in a building with a garage. I know of more too.
I would say 2500 would be my limit right now for rent, don't really care about bedrooms, can just be 1 decently sized space, doesn't matter. I'm not sure about upper west side at all, and I've been to most manhattan neighborhoods, but obviously I wasn't there for long enough to really decide what I like most. What do you think? And, how much did you pay for your apt in UWS (including the garage)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyDentures View Post
not regarding the cleanliness though

lol, i dont know if you are serious or is it supposed to be a joke. and no, we could afford a car, but decided to get rid of it because of the hassle.

i would avoid car and take subway any day. a lot more convenient, and faster even. everytime we wanted to take our car out, we would have to plan it strategically, that is to travel less often in winter as more people dont move their car as much compared to summer, or time it properly so we would come back around early evening right before sunset just around the time people are done with their picnics at the park and drive their cars away (we happen to live near prospect park in brooklyn, not even manhattan). otherwise, get ready to drive around for an hour just to find parking. now, what if i were to take subway? 24 hours, dont have to worry about what time to come back, or whether i can find parking, all for only only 2 bucks.

depending on how often you use your car, you are better off getting rid of it. just rent a car as needed, the cost of renting may be less than the cost to maintain and rent a garage, especially in manhattan. renting a car out from nj can be cheaper. or take zipcar. or a bus. or a cab.
The subway is crappy, worn, depressing, smells, everybody looks so depressed and I'd see how someone could eventually get sick of it. Not exactly luxurious. I would rather use a car/cab.

Hundreds of thousands of Manhattanites have cars. Everybody has their preference. Car = freedom.

Let him bring it, if he finds the cost too much..ditch it. If you like it, keep it!!!! Simple.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
The subway is crappy, worn, depressing, smells, everybody looks so depressed and I'd see how someone could eventually get sick of it. Not exactly luxurious. I would rather use a car/cab.

Hundreds of thousands of Manhattanites have cars. Everybody has their preference. Car = freedom.

Let him bring it, if he finds the cost too much..ditch it. If you like it, keep it!!!! Simple.
I actually kind of liked the subway. Its dirty, yes, but it's part of the New York culture. I grew up in Moscow, Russia (only lived in the US for 3 years) which also has a great old subway system, so NY's subway really felt like home to me. I won't mind taking it to work, at all. However, I have those days where I know I will just CRAVE to go out of town and just drive really fast just to feel that freedom.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM

13 posts, read 73,301 times
I've lived in Washington DC, San Francisco, and New York City, and by far the subway system in NYC is superior. I can't imagine using the car to get around within the city. I drive the car just about every day (I've put about 20,000 miles a year, for seven years getting in and out of the city, and one minor fenderbender, so I consider myself an okay driver) to get out of the city, but NEVER within the city limits. It just doesn't make sense to walk to the garage, take out the car, drive it, say, downtown, then drive around for half an hour looking for parking, give up and park in a lot, pay $40, and then not be able to drink all night because I have to schlep it back. More sense to take a cab.

And during the workday, if I have to get around, I love going underground. Cheap, quicker than driving, definitely quicker than driving and parking.

As for parking on the street, I live on the UWS, and I could almost always find a spot somewhere within 5 blocks of my apartment -- if I was willing to circle for half an hour each night. I generally don't think that's worth it.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrand View Post
I've lived in Washington DC, San Francisco, and New York City, and by far the subway system in NYC is superior. I can't imagine using the car to get around within the city. I drive the car just about every day (I've put about 20,000 miles a year, for seven years getting in and out of the city, and one minor fenderbender, so I consider myself an okay driver) to get out of the city, but NEVER within the city limits. It just doesn't make sense to walk to the garage, take out the car, drive it, say, downtown, then drive around for half an hour looking for parking, give up and park in a lot, pay $40, and then not be able to drink all night because I have to schlep it back. More sense to take a cab.

And during the workday, if I have to get around, I love going underground. Cheap, quicker than driving, definitely quicker than driving and parking.

As for parking on the street, I live on the UWS, and I could almost always find a spot somewhere within 5 blocks of my apartment -- if I was willing to circle for half an hour each night. I generally don't think that's worth it.
Finally, a person who's doing what I plan on doing. No car during the week, taking it outside the city once in a while! Do you have a garage in your building or you're renting a spot somewhere else? How much are you paying? Is it self-park?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There aren't many self-park places. Mostly there are attendants and you'll have to call ahead for your car. And don't forget the tips (at the holidays, too). As I believe I stated in an earlier post, look at Compare Parking Rates Daily/Monthly Garages Lots NYC Boston New York. And many places that have self-park charge extra for that...

Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Standard Parking at Pier 40
This seems pretty legit. 300 bucks and self-park. SOHO

This actually sounds like an awesome deal. I should move to SOHO.

Last edited by notscenenough; 04-20-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,616 times
I would suggest, b4 you commit to one area; you sublet/temp housing for 6 months until you know the city.

Case in point: My wife and I bought a condo---all excited about---we 'inspected' it ----then after sale we realized the Bar next door had a HUGE Jukebox placed against their wall which of course, was adjacent to our LR wall...Every Th. Fri & Sat night the walls would shake like a set of Cuban marraccas.

Lesson: Get comfortable with the neighborhood....

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notscenenough View Post
Finally, a person who's doing what I plan on doing. No car during the week, taking it outside the city once in a while! Do you have a garage in your building or you're renting a spot somewhere else? How much are you paying? Is it self-park?

Thanks!
No, if you re-read the post: he takes the car out every weekday. Just be very careful, because once the garage staff realizes what your schedule is, they'll 'bury' your car. Also, be very careful about open lots. Vandalism is not unheard of and in winter you'll have to possibly dig out your car.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notscenenough View Post

Thanks!
You can get an indoor, one-space garage with a lock in NJ with convenient access via mass transit to NYC for like $200/month. This seems like it would be a decent situation for you because you only want to take weekend drives to the countryside or whatever. If you can find a roommate, you can get a two-space end-to-end garage (indoor, locked) for like $300. I'm sure the outer boroughs offer similar pricing/convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City