Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:14 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Oh that's cool! What does the people in New Orleans say or think?
Lil Wayne and may rap artists including Master P, Juvenile, Ugk etc. beautifully express the struggles, hardships, and life experiences people in New Orleans have experienced.

Snippet (copyright is ok since its my interpretation)

Born In New Orleans,
Raised In New Orleans
I will forever remain faithful New Orleans
I Thank you New Orleans
Thank you Holygrove
That's Been My Hood Since A Snotty Nose
I come through the hood suicide doors
I used to come through the hood on the handle bars.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's just a frame of mind people here grow up having. It's hard to explain.
To say you are not afraid of anything because you are from NYC like the guy in the article is extreme and not the least bit believable. You grew up on the "mean streets" of Maspeth or Middle Village or Glendale (Archie-Bunker-ville to all of those non-NYers out there) and in an upper-middle class town on the North Shore of Long Island. You teach in the South Bronx, but consistently say that people are nice to you and have never given you trouble. What has hardened you? It surely hasn't been growing up in the projects in the nastiest neighborhoods of Brooklyn and the Bronx.

So please, start explaining. It may be "hard to explain," but I want to hear it. As a non-NYer who is living in NYC (and enjoying it), I cannot stand when I come across people who BRAG that this city has the worst ghettoes, the most dangerous drivers, the meanest people, and the toughest environment as if those are good things. We get it, you grew up in and around NYC. That just doesn't necessarily make you more street smart, cultured, or "tough" than someone who grew up elsewhere.

I hate to bring your impending move into this, but why are you moving to Levittown (poster-child of 1950's cookie-cutter suburban sprawl for all you non-NYers out there) if you are so "tough" and think NYC is the best-of-the-best?

Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
It's just the way you're brought up. I got teased in school and stood up to them. I was the only girl in the county's boys ice hockey league. I was 4'11 and I was up against boys who were 5'6. There was checking, so I got beaten up quite a bit until I finally stood up to them.

It's different when you're a transplant. Were you here for 9-11? I think NYers have more of a toughness and don't-take-crap attitude after that too.

This is all what they call a NY state of mind. Those born and raised here would understand more.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
It's just the way you're brought up. I got teased in school and stood up to them. I was the only girl in the county's boys ice hockey league. I was 4'11 and I was up against boys who were 5'6. There was checking, so I got beaten up quite a bit until I finally stood up to them.

It's different when you're a transplant. Were you here for 9-11? I think NYers have more of a toughness and don't-take-crap attitude after that too.

This is all what they call a NY state of mind. Those born and raised here would understand more.
there are plenty of people who have gone thru that around the country.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM

9-11 scared the living hell out of people. It made Brooklyn-bred guidos cry. Clearly New Yorkers aren't too desensitized and "tough" to have a normal, human reaction to a terrible, tragic event.

A NY state of mind is a can-do attitude of loyalty and pride for this great city; NOT a total void of normal human response to gut-wrenching events.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Those are just 2 personal examples. Unless you grew up in metro NYC, then you know what i'm talking about.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
9-11 scared the living hell out of people. It made Brooklyn-bred guidos cry. Clearly New Yorkers aren't too desensitized and "tough" to have a normal, human reaction to a terrible, tragic event.

A NY state of mind is a can-do attitude of loyalty and pride for this great city; NOT a total void of normal human response to gut-wrenching events.

I know, I agree with what you're saying. The toughest people are obviously going to be that upset and scared during 9-11. I mean that the aftermath of it made us toughen up more a bit.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Unless you grew up in metro NYC, then you know what i'm talking about.
That's a crappy answer and you know it. It would be like me saying that I believe something because it's my opinion. If you really feel so strongly about this attitude inherent in NYers, explain it. Saying it can't be explained is unconvincing and will not win you any arguments.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM

It's something that is too difficult to explain. I'm not trying to cop-out of answering. Ask on the NY board and they'll know what I mean.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
I know, I agree with what you're saying. The toughest people are obviously going to be that upset and scared during 9-11. I mean that the aftermath of it made us toughen up more a bit.
The whole "tough" thing in NY is more of an act (not directed at you) and they usually can't back it up when push comes to shove. People assume us Texans are just friendly and weak, but it's the fact that were just laid-back and don't need to keep our guard up all the time. We don't walk around with chips on our shoulders trying to intimidate people and we only get upset when needed.

Hell, everyone is afraid of something and people shouldn't be afraid to admit it. That's the probem with northeners, they don't like to show emotions or weakness, because they think it makes them look vulnerable. I'll admit I'm afraid of lots of things, but I don't think it makes me look less tough and more weak. It just shows I'm human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: