Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM

39 posts, read 285,037 times

Advertisements

I'm a student from Montreal, school's ending soon, and I'm thinking of spending a few days in NYC, since I've never been.
I've heard it's really hard to find parking in the city, so would I be better off parking at like a train station in the suburbs somewhere? If so, which train station or parking lot would be most convenient if I'm coming in on the I-95?

As for hotels, would you say it would be more economical to stay in the city, or stay outside the city and commute in on the subway? I want to maximize my time in downtown, but I have a budget of about $200\night for the hotel. I'm not too familiar with the layout of the different boroughs, so I'm thinking I just want to get as close as I can to the most "touristy" part of the city, without going over my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help! If you're ever coming to Montreal, feel free to ask me for advice, in return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,588 times
You can try to park in a train parking lot, but many of them have resident only parking and the fine will cost you more than parking in the city. I would look at Westchester hotels in areas like White Plains. You might be able to get a room for cheap and a taxi to the train station and back. However, it's not like staying in the heart of the city. It will take you 1 hour+ to get in and out of the city and you are a slave to the train schedule.

Doing NY for 200/day is a pretty trying task. Look at YMCA beds and hostels and you can even see if your school has club affiliations with some of the clubs that have hotel rooms in NYC. THere is also always Expedia. Overnight parking in the city is going to cost you north of $25/day or more.

The best way to see NYC is to stay with a friend. You can save teh cost of a room and sleep on their floor. If they're nice they might even show you around.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
It's not difficult to find parking in NYC. It's difficult to find FREE parking in NYC that's not a space where you don't have to move the car every day. It's easy to find a garage to put your car in, but it's not cheap.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,219 times
You will be surprised at some of the weekend deals that are out there these days for NYC hotels in the current economy, even some luxury hotels. Check some of the newer downtown hotels that are hungary for business: Cooper Square, Bowery, Duane Street. My inlaws stayed at the Tribeca Grand a few weeks ago for $225 a night.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,113 times
I agree with the Westchester County, and even Connecticut, option.

You can also stay in NJ. They have hotels right across the river from Manhattan and you can park your car there and then just take the bus/train into the city.

Some hotels in NYC, namely Manhattan have reduced their rates. Call and ask if they have any parking specials at nearby garages. Sometimes they do. And some garages have weekend specials.

Another option are hotels out in Queens. You can park there and then take the train into the city. But frankly I would recommend NJ over that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City