Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

What? Who? I just speak the truth...I don't do it at anyone or anything expense. The difference here is that the Bronx is becoming MORE diverse, not less, whereas other boroughs are becoming LESS diverse. The Bronx is the epicenter of affordable housing, whereas most nabes want nothing to do with anything that even gives the idea that it is "affordable" (code for those people of color). The Bronx is now #1 choice for immigrants coming to NYC, the other 4 boroughs are no longer. What does all this mean? The Bronx is about INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION, because it is staying true to what NYC is all about: the diversity of people in a way that the other boroughs are shying away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What? Who? I just speak the truth...I don't do it at anyone or anything expense. The difference here is that the Bronx is becoming MORE diverse, not less, whereas other boroughs are becoming LESS diverse. The Bronx is the epicenter of affordable housing, whereas most nabes want nothing to do with anything that even gives the idea that it is "affordable" (code for those people of color). The Bronx is now #1 choice for immigrants coming to NYC, the other 4 boroughs are no longer. What does all this mean? The Bronx is about INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION, because it is staying true to what NYC is all about: the diversity of people in a way that the other boroughs are shying away from.
How are the other boroughs becoming LESS diverse?

-Queens is probably the most diverse county in the entire world and certainly isn't becoming any more homogeneous.
-Brooklyn certainly isn't losing diversity as Western Europeans, Mexicans, Central Americans, West Indians, Chinese, and Russians continue to arrive in droves.
-Staten Island is becoming less Italian and adding black, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Asian residents.
-It could be argued that Manhattan is becoming less diverse below 96th Street, but that is only if one has a simple mindset that more "white" people (regardless of the ethnic and religious background of those "white" people) equals less diversity.

You're not speaking "the truth," you're speaking your opinion. You can use all the rhetoric you want to promote the Bronx, but don't try to pass it off as "the truth." You can make your point that the Bronx is becoming more diverse without asserting the non-truth that the other boroughs are becoming less diverse.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Crispy where have you been! Its about time. I don't promote the Bronx at all, I provide my opinion of it...which is "the truth." I however do like the term "non-truth"...it sounds very non-offensive and legalese...kinda like "not guilty" vs "innocent"..there is a BIG difference between the two, but yet they are so often used as interchangeable. I think law school will serve you well. But back to topic: Mott Haven is getting a new neighborhood! And for the first 5 people that move in, I am throwing in a free pre-loved (aka used) toaster which also doubles as a very nice napkin holder.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Crispy where have you been!
I guess I could ask the same about you

Quote:
I don't promote the Bronx at all, I provide my opinion of it...which is "the truth." I however do like the term "non-truth"...it sounds very non-offensive and legalese...kinda like "not guilty" vs "innocent"..there is a BIG difference between the two, but yet they are so often used as interchangeable.
I said "non-truth" because I didn't think you were aware that the other boroughs were not becoming less diverse. If I was sure that you had known that, I would have used a term that everyone knows: "lie." However, now that you have been put on notice that what you are saying is not true, you can't continue saying it without it being a lie. You can talk about your "inclusion" and "exclusion" and I can't do more than simply disagree with you, but if you continue to say that the Bronx is getting more diverse while the other boroughs are getting less diverse, I will call you out for lying.

Quote:
I don't promote the Bronx at all
Come on, now. You post all kinds of positive articles about the Bronx and extend invitations to complete strangers on the internet to show them around your neighborhood. I think it's very nice that you do what you do. Someone who wasn't actively promoting the Bronx as a place for "working/middle class" (your favorite term) people probably wouldn't do the same.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-21-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Hehe....I like the non-truth term..so lets stick with that one...lie just seems so...unbecoming. Instead of unemployed we can say "independent consultant"...instead of being broke we can say "financially challenged". But hey..as for the neighborhood...I don't promote anything, I educate people about things, not just about my neighborhood, but about crime, politics etc. It just so happens that I have a profound knowledge of my community and the ability to provide others with that knowledge..at least those who express an interest in learning more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City