Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM

90 posts, read 423,200 times

Advertisements

I got a notice from Con Ed about a month ago saying that my landlord owed tens of thousands of dollars for a past due bill and security deposit. They said that if it wasn't paid by April 20, they would shut down the power in the common areas (power within the tenants' apartments wouldn't be affected). The tenants had the option to organize and pay bills for the common areas after April 20 and the note said we could deduct what we pay from rent under New York Real Property law.

I immediately called the landlord up and he said that it was just a mix up and they were taking care of it. I believed him and just let it go.

Fast forward to yesterday when I (and the other tenants in the building, of course) get another letter from Con Ed, saying that the bill still hasn't been paid and that they are proceeding to shut power down. They reiterate that we can organize and pay the bills going forward. I called up the landlord again and he said the same thing he did last time.

So far, they haven't actually shut the common area power down. But if they do, what are my options? I'd rather just get a new place than organize the dozens of tenants in the building to jointly pay the electricity bill. Does his failure to pay qualify as breaking the lease? Anyone with experience in this situation? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
First of all you now know that you can't trust what the landlord is telling you.
Secondly,what else is he not paying ? Mortgage ? Taxes ? Better start finding out because the Con Ed situation could be just the beginning of your problems.Not that you are financially responsible but he could be going down the tubes.
I think his failure to pay probably does qualify as a breach of the lease but only a lawyer can tell you for sure.
Have you called the city yet ? I would do that immediately.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Have you called the city yet ? I would do that immediately.
This is some good, solid advice. On the occasions when I had to do something about a landlord, I went straight to the Housing Department. For the last 20 years or so, judges have been showing a distinct inclination to side with tenants in disputes.

I wouldn't think you and your neighbors should have any problem demonstrating to the city (or a judge, if you wind up having to take it that far) that any misunderstanding with Con Ed is a direct result of your landlord's negligence/game playing/harassment/whatever you want to call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City