Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times

Advertisements

I also heard it was real nice also. I remember way back in the 90's there was an article that said the residents said they felt they did not even live in the projects!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Canarsie is near the L train Rockaway Avenue station last stop and near a lot of bus lines including the B82 that comes all along towards Coney Island. The neighborhood is primarily Haitians, there is a strip of stores by the subway station but I am not sure of the actual development itself.
Something tells me you're not familiar with a lot of Canarsie. The Bayview Towers are off Seaview Avenue, which is not by the Rockaway Parkway station. It's also not primarily Haitian in that part of the neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
i have a rental interview tomorrow at bayview myself. Im a little worried tho bcuz its the projects and I odont know what to expect. how is Bayview, is it bad and dirty, do you get harrassed by men over there?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
Canarsie used to be a very good area. At one point in time it was jewish and italian. Those people left and the area went downhill. During the day it is fine but becareful at night. It may appear to be a good area but dont kid yourself it is not such a great area.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,224 times
It'a a city project although it may be considerably safer then most it is still a NYCHA project.If you a fortunate enough to own a car,Great,you are right off the Rockaway Parkway exit of the Belt Parkway.Parking probably not so great around the PJ though.If you have to get to the subway it's a hassle to have to take the B-42 to the Rockaway Parkway L.Only good thing about that is you will always get a seat in to the city.I guess if I had to live in the projects it would be the one I would choose to live in of the ones I know in Brooklyn.I also know someone who got an apartment in Bayview within the last year and is very happy. I'm sure there is some gang activity there and in Canarsie mostly these fake Crips and Bloods.I don't think Bayview or Canarsie as a whole has a huge Hispanic population.And whoever disagreed is correct.The Bayviews are not as Caribbean or Haitian as some other pockets of Canarsie.Good shopping around too.Just as usual anywhere in NYC be aware,get to know at least the faces of most of the people who live in your building so you can sniff out potential troublemakers.All that said I would still get my business taken care of during the day.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,852 times
Hey,

I came across this post and noticed it was made in 2009. Did you end up getting that apartment?

I was looking up stuff on these projects because I lived there basically all my life from 87-1998 and then again from 2002-2010. I can't say that I liked it. As a small caucasian girl I really felt out of place and downright embarrassed that I lived there. I kept it a secret from everyone I knew.

I did not feel safe either. I understand there are worse developments out there but if I would come home when it was dark or late, I would be very scared walking to my building from the car and would get hassled regularly by the males who lived there. It was extremely frightening not knowing if I'm going to be attacked or raped.

I count my blessings each and every day that I don't live there anymore. I still have recurring dreams where I find myself living in that apartment again and having that depression wash over me once again.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbaskets View Post
Hey,

I came across this post and noticed it was made in 2009. Did you end up getting that apartment?

I was looking up stuff on these projects because I lived there basically all my life from 87-1998 and then again from 2002-2010. I can't say that I liked it. As a small caucasian girl I really felt out of place and downright embarrassed that I lived there. I kept it a secret from everyone I knew.

I did not feel safe either. I understand there are worse developments out there but if I would come home when it was dark or late, I would be very scared walking to my building from the car and would get hassled regularly by the males who lived there. It was extremely frightening not knowing if I'm going to be attacked or raped.

I count my blessings each and every day that I don't live there anymore. I still have recurring dreams where I find myself living in that apartment again and having that depression wash over me once again.
I take it you and your family were a part of what my friends and I called "leftovers". As Projects and neighborhoods racially change, white to black, there is always a percentage of racial "leftovers". People who just couldn't or didn't "get out".

White, black or whatever, anyone living in Public Housing s/b embarassed!

No one should ever accept life in a housing project. Every minute there s/b a minute *working* to get out!

I can relate to your fear, though I'm not caucasian, nor female.

I wonder if you know that all those projects, Sheepshead Bay projects, Glenwood had all white residents?

Oh did you know that the founder of Sarbucks also lived in Bayview:

Howard Schultz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glad you got out, hope your experience didn't turn you racially negative.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
If it was good enough for Ralph Kramden's mother-in-law it will be good enough for you.

Oops, I didn't realize this was a revival from the Stone Age.

(Yep, another kind person who never told us what finally happened. How many R's are in "rude?")

Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I take it you and your family were a part of what my friends and I called "leftovers". As Projects and neighborhoods racially change, white to black, there is always a percentage of racial "leftovers". People who just couldn't or didn't "get out".

White, black or whatever, anyone living in Public Housing s/b embarassed!

No one should ever accept life in a housing project. Every minute there s/b a minute *working* to get out!

I can relate to your fear, though I'm not caucasian, nor female.

I wonder if you know that all those projects, Sheepshead Bay projects, Glenwood had all white residents?

Oh did you know that the founder of Sarbucks also lived in Bayview:

Howard Schultz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glad you got out, hope your experience didn't turn you racially negative.

When I was born, my family lived there and a lot of my extended family and relatives also lived there. There were many Caucasians. But some years later they all started to move out. My mother didn't have the financial means to get us out and so we lived there. I never got the sense that other people were embarrassed to be there, I think if all of your friends and most of everyone you know live in the projects than it's just accepted.

The thing was, nobody I knew lived in the projects which is why I was deathly embarrassed of it. I didn't tell anyone, not even the closest of friends. I just kept it a secret and it was a huge burden to carry when you're always making excuses as to why people can't come over, or pick you up/drop you off.

My experiences didn't negatively impact my views racially. I didn't assume any opinions on the people that lived there, I just kept thinking about myself and how depressed I was that I had to live there.

I think maybe for black folks the culture is very accepting of wherever you live since so many struggle. I can't say the same for the white counterparts because letting anyone know where I lived would raise eyebrows, people might pity me, or think of me different. This is what I was afraid of and is why I kept it as a closely guarded secret.

One of the biggest memories I have is the elevator in the building. It had urine puddles in it daily. The hardworking custodial staff would clean it up, and the next day the elevator would be right back to having a huge puddle of urine. Sometimes the puddle was so large that it covered the majority of the elevator floor and you had to position yourself on the edges on your tiptoes. It was awful.

Everyday I thank my lucky stars I'm not there anymore, but I always remember that scared, depressed and ashamed little white girl that lived in the projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City