Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

The MTA is pushing ahead with the Service Cuts and Fare Increases charge a 1$ surchage to all Cab Fares regardless of time of day....

At the same time NYC and NYS wants to raise Income Tax and Property Tax...and you know landlords are going to pass that prop tax right on to the renters

And this is during the Middle of a Recession..

I mean is NY this arrogant that they think people will fork over everything just to say "I LIVE/WORK/Do BUSINESS in NY".....Seriously the residents and companies, need to stop bowing down to this Outragous Corruption.

MTA Fares Information (http://www.mnr.org/mta/09/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

101 posts, read 562,881 times
It is bananas ! But folks will still fork over thier money just to say I live in NYC like it makes them automatically cool .I hate the fact that they are raising all the subway fares and they cut a bunch of bus lines off totally .

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Not to mention the same time, the City and State are eating more of you're income....You're getting hit from ALL SIDES, if you live anywhere downstate.

Is there NO-ONE in City Hall or Albany that gives a Damn about the folks...Its mind blowing.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Most people don't care because they don't have half the transportation service that we have in NYC, outside of the city. If they have any at all, most times the fare is charged by the distance they are traveling, paid by zones.

People upstate will not feel much sympathy because they must pay car notes, and insurance, for a car they must have. They also have high property taxes, the property taxes being much higher than NYC's property tax. Sometimes these taxes alone make a house payment for small, and much cheaper house than you will find in NYC, much higher in payment, than a house that would cost more in NYC.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM

19 posts, read 94,375 times
My question is do we really need a 2nd ave subway?

M15 bus is one of the most frequent buses in the city at all times of the day.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Default $2.50 for a subway ride,that is a bargain my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not to mention the same time, the City and State are eating more of you're income....You're getting hit from ALL SIDES, if you live anywhere downstate.

Is there NO-ONE in City Hall or Albany that gives a Damn about the folks...Its mind blowing.
Ok,stop your whining and go buy a car,a used one and then come back and let us know how much you spent during the past year on gas,insurance,maintenance,etc.

Or you can peruse the Chief leader and take the next MTA exam. I will even buy you a box of number 2 pencils and a pencil sharpener.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopster View Post

It's very much needed. The 2nd Av. Subway would take passengers off the overcrowded Lex Av. truncated route. The M15 doesn't do much help in that regard. Getting caught up in traffic along 1st and 2nd Avs. is not much of a solution to the problem.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM

243 posts, read 1,334,055 times
Hey All ...

Just wanted to throw something out there ... with the fare increases and talk of bridge tolls , cab surcharges etc. , this is not being done to give the workers a raise , we're not making any money off it , so please , don't be mad at us. I'm a motorman (train operator) and I drive my car most of the time to/from work and use my car on my days off , and so do a lot of other guys down here. You'd be surprised how much resentment there is and how much some workers in the MTA , including myself , are against these tolls and surcharges. The service changes that I have heard are coming are the elimination of the Z line , which is basically a couple of trains that run along the J line , creating skip stop service on the J line. It is not an essential line or part of the system and it's loss should have a minimal effect on the ridership along that line. The M line is going to be shortened during the day from Metropolitan Ave to Broad St. (as opposed to Bay Parkway , Brooklyn , where it goes now.) Again , the shortening of the line should have minimal effect. There is enough D service along the West End , and frankly , M service out there ties up and slows up the D service when M's drop out at Bay Parkway and the D's behind must wait for the trains to be cleared out of riders before going to the yard. W service also may be eliminated , but the service will probably be made up for by extending the Q line from it's present terminal of 57th and 7th in Manhattan to Ditmars Blvd. Astoria. If anyone has any questions about anything subway related feel free to send me a message or post the question here and I'll be happy to try and answer it if I can.

Last edited by MotormanMike; 04-28-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM

46 posts, read 230,785 times
Is it true that they are considering running only one train an hour per line late nights? The wait for trains like the N is already horrendous that time of night.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopster View Post

absolutely, anyone who thinks the 2nd ave line is not needed, does not use the 4,5,6 often

did they not do an audit of the MTA books to see why they are in a hole so deep and didnt really find anything they had done super wrong??

public transportation is still far cheaper than a car payment, plus insurance, plus gas etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City