Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

Beautiful Belmont Park opens it Spring Meet Wednesday 4/29/09. With the NY Rangers and Jersey Devils both losing in Game 7 playoffs last night, and the Knicks and Nets missing the playoffs yet again, the Metro NY Sports fan can expose themselves to something different in the sports world. With the sticker shock and building backlash against the new taxpayer funded parks of the Yankees and the Mets, people can head out to Belmont where a prime seat on the finish line is $2 or $1 during the week.

Belmont is a big place. A historic place where the greatest American race horses from Man O' War to Secretariat to Seattle Slew have left their mark. The grandstand is over a 1/4 mile long and the grounds are huge. Just a few years ago 125K fans were there for the 2004 Belmont stakes, the largest crowd to ever watch a sporting event in New York. Not only is Belmont big but it is beautiful too. . One of my favorite places is the paddock where you can view the horses before the race and see how they are doing. While the masses have turned away from racing on a day to day basis they do show up in droves for the Belmont Stakes.

For racing fans the season marks time. Year after year the big races and big meets start on the same week every year. The opening of Belmont marks the beginning of spring and this means the Westchester Handicap which has been run on this day for as long as I remember.

Come out to Belmont and bet a few bucks. You may win a bundle and find tremendous excitement in picking winners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 AM

61 posts, read 247,579 times
remember my parents took me there like 15 yrs ago. would even place complicated bets... exacta, trifecta, quinella... i forget about em now.

anyway i live near elmont i still pass by there on way to/from Home Depot!

how is that pond doin? are there still a pair of swans in it?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karm View Post
remember my parents took me there like 15 yrs ago. would even place complicated bets... exacta, trifecta, quinella... i forget about em now.

anyway i live near elmont i still pass by there on way to/from Home Depot!

how is that pond doin? are there still a pair of swans in it?
Yeah the swans are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City