Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,043,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
this no good because i took the train condcutor exam in december 08 and no late night subway service means less conductors.
This is the worst time ever to be on any mta eligibles hiring list..you take it on faith,you take it to the heart,the waiting is the hardest part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM

93 posts, read 307,079 times
It sounds like it probably won't happen (I read the metro (yup) article first, then the NY times one).

If it did, it would suck, as a 24 hour system was one of the motivations for me moving to this great city

Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,880,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
It is about time they keep up with rest of the world. NYC is a 24 hour city? What about Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, London . . . none has a 24/7 subway system and their subway makes ours look downright third world. They have just as much night life as we do.

A 4 hour break in service a day will actually allow MTA to keep up with cleaning/repair of the subway, so there is less issues during rush hour when it MATTERS. It is a great, great change. I don't mind them increasing fare to $3 each way if they can get rid of the filthy homeless smells in subways and make it look anywhere near a world class city's subway. No one is looking for luxury here, but is it too much to ask for clean stations/cars?

Simply force a flat rate on cabs from Manhattan to any of the five boroughs (plus tolls), similar to going from JFK to Manhattan, and we are all set. People who think NYC subway is acceptable has never used subways in other world class cities.

It is the only way, do it MTA!
If the bolded price is too low, people will be faced with a cab shortage.

The 24 hour nature of the subway system is big draw to the young population that pours into this city each year. Young people I know who have lived abroad in the cities you mentioned often complain about those systems' daily shut down. I'm sure the restaurant workers and such who work in manhattan but live in the bowels of the outer boroughs wouldn't be happy about this either.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 AM

655 posts, read 2,176,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I don't know what is happening with the MTA but someone needs to seriously look at their books and find out where the mismanagement of finances is coming from.
Co-sign.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,777,347 times
Default I agree with Fred

I have to say, I agree with Fred. Disband the corrupt MTA and return our transit system back to the original NYCTA!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,484,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I have to say, I agree with Fred. Disband the corrupt MTA and return our transit system back to the original NYCTA!!!
Incidentally, here's a little fact that nobody either at MTA or up in Albany cares to have people debating:

When MTA was first created (1965), Mayor John Lindsay, who had just taken office, expressed reservations. So before he would agree to allow New York City Transit to become part of the new organization, he insisted that the city had to have an "out" clause. Rather than allow Lindsay to interfere with his plans, Governor Rockefeller agreed to this.

And so, very much like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz (who had the power to go home all the time because of the ruby slippers, but just didn't realize it), New York City has the power to remove NYCT from MTA. Unfortunately, what we don't have is a mayor with the guts to demand that separation. True, the first Mayor who does is going to find himself in a bad situation with the politicians upstate--but the fact remains that the city has the right to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City