Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 14,413 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know, I keep hearing if you are a white female stay out you are gonna find trouble.

I'd be movin in with my boyfriends family, hes Puerto Rican.

Right now I am livin in Brooklyn in the neighborhood that has been called "the most diverse neighborhood in the usa"

Its great, I love it... any kind of food, all interesting people who love having everybody here too. It's like paradise.

BUT my school loans are running out and its either move to the bronx or move home with my dad. Trust the Bronx sounds better.

Im just worried about walkin down white plains at whatever given hour bein white is like havin a target on my back.

It's not like that anywhere else I travel... not even Bed Sty
so I just don't know.

Im your typical girl, pretty simple, pretty plain. I know the neighborhood pretty well and have been visiting the past two years. I have more friends in the bronx than I do out in brooklyn...

but I just want to know what I am up against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
frivy,I am a little confused about your post.First of all, are you actually talking about Parkchester ? You said on another thread that your boyfriend's mother owns a house with an apartment there but as far as I know there are no houses at all in Parkchester. Is it some other neighborhood you are talking about ?

Parkchester itself is a very diverse community with a lot of everyone... blacks,asians,hispanics and whites.I am white and live in The Bronx and go through that area every day on my way to and from work.I also go to Macy's,the movies,some of the restaurants,etc there fairly regularly.I have never felt the slightest bit threatened or uncomfortable.

I really can't figure out why you feel like you have a target on your back when you walk down White Plains Road or why you think it feels more threatening than anywhere else including Bed Sty .And from whom do you keep hearing that you better stay out or you are going to find trouble ?

You say that you feel this way even after having visited for 2 years and having friends in The Bronx so I would have to say DON'T MOVE THERE. The best advice usually given on this forum about neighborhoods is for the person who is inquiring to spend time in the neighborhood and find their own comfort level.You have obviously done that and are not comfortable, so it is probably better not to put yourself through the torture of feeling like you constantly have a target on your back.Nobody should feel that way in the area where they live.

As I said at the beginning however, I can't figure out why you would feel that way in Parkchester.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-30-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
Agreed Bluedog...Parkchester is extremely diverse and a self-contained community with a freakin Starbucks, Pizzeria Unos, and Macy's, lots of parkland, restuarants, express train service, affordable rents, and completely walkable community. I think what you are really up against is your own fears. If you are already not comfortable visiting in 2 years, then I would say the decision has already been made and you should live somewhere else. I have not figured out why you feel this way however, as I would feel 10,000 times more comfortable walking around Parkchester at midnight than anywhere in Bed-Stuy in the middle of the day (let alone at night). But again goes back to comfort level.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM

66 posts, read 288,500 times
If you know the neighborhood pretty well and have been visiting it for the past 2 years then you should already know the answer to your question and should know how diverse that neighborhood is.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-30-2009 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM

217 posts, read 918,606 times
Quote:
Yeah I know, I keep hearing if you are a white female stay out you are gonna find trouble.
Are you looking for trouble?

Quote:
I'd be movin in with my boyfriends family, hes Puerto Rican.
Get married and a lot of the problems will go away. For starters, any hassles will diminish as you're taken.

Quote:
Right now I am livin in Brooklyn in the neighborhood that has been called "the most diverse neighborhood in the usa"
Da longer you're there, da-verse it gets. Sounds like all of New York. Since it's illegal to discriminate on basis of ethnicity concerning living someplace, who cares where you live?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 21,455 times
Parkchester proper is still a safe area comparied to other parts of the bronx. I grew up there and I am italian. Never ever had a problem walking the streets there.
You got great shopping over there .. there is a famous bakery and the step in resturant. The apartments are really roomy and affordable.
That circle is beautiful during the spring time and there are loads of parks all around the complex. White plains road is still nice going through there as it continues into morris park. South of there however it can get a little ghetto.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 14,413 times
I appreciate all the input. I think I have probably been made to feel this way by my boyfriends family. They worry over me like crazy. His younger brother never leaves the house and thats probably where I get my anxieties from. They tell me stories about the old neighborhood they use to live in and I think maybe he just wants to stay on the safe side of things but its gotten into my mindset about stuff. I mean I've tried to leave their house and walk the dog and go to the supermarket but they are always wanting someone to be with me when I do. I think they just worry about me but its rubbed off a little too much I guess.

Yes I have been visiting two years but that doesnt mean in those two years I have stopped walked around and smelled the roses. I visit family I stay en casa I go around the block to our friends and that's about it.

No I'm not lookin for trouble I feel generally safe no matter where I am walking but I think its like any time you move to a new place you have anxieties.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
There is another white woman that was in your position, and moved to Parkchester. She in fact made a website about it Mod cut: no competing sites.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: No competing sites

Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,758 times
Default you have got to be kidding me

I know this is old but I just came across it. People from Brooklyn kill me they act like the Bronx is so different. All it is is another borough just as diversed as Brooklyn is. Mod cut:not necessary there is nothing to worry about if you move to white plains road. WHITE PEOPLE live there too. actually there is a lot of pakistan chinese white puerto ricans dominicans mexicans Mod cut: rude

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-23-2009 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Rude/personal attack

Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 33,421 times
My brother knows about Parkchester. Everybody has their own story to tell, I know. He says it's like a very decent version of the projects. Hmmm... Well, know before you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City