Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
this is really old, but i brought it back to say, this is ridiculous. BK>BX crime.
Um no?

Overall it's ...BX>BK.

If you wanna talk about violent crime rates then the worst part of the BX (Hunts Point) is about equal to the worst part of BK (Brownsville).

The murder rates in BK's worst are a little higher than the BX..in turn the BX has more low income residents (higher poverty rates).

I love how Brooklyn people are so gassed about their borough. Like nothing in the city compares to their hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
The Bronx has a higher poverty RATE but not sure it has more poverty or more low income residents because Brooklyn has over a million more people.

Brooklyn's poverty rate is 25% while The Bronx's is 30% but 25% of 2.5 M = 625,000( # of people living in poverty in Brooklyn) is more than 30% of 1.5M(450,000).... the number of people living in poverty in The Bronx.

So actually,there are a lot more people living in poverty in Brooklyn.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
this is really old, but i brought it back to say, this is ridiculous. BK>BX crime.
I think it's very silly to make a statement such as that. Brooklyn & The Bronx both have bad & good, one borough's bad neighborhoods are not clearly worse or better (applies to every city).

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM

69 posts, read 252,364 times
Lmao at the people saying bk is safer then the BX. Are you crazy. Theres A LOT of stuff that happens in the hood that dont show on tv or the newspaper. BX is worst then BK. The police raided a building across the streets from my building and arrested 8 gang members while confiscating lots of drugs and money. They didnt show that on tv. Also, AVE D and Madison in manhattan are terrible neighborhoods. I would rank them near brownsville.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Um no?

Overall it's ...BX>BK.

If you wanna talk about violent crime rates then the worst part of the BX (Hunts Point) is about equal to the worst part of BK (Brownsville).

The murder rates in BK's worst are a little higher than the BX..in turn the BX has more low income residents (higher poverty rates).

I love how Brooklyn people are so gassed about their borough. Like nothing in the city compares to their hoods.
If theres one thing you and i can agree on is this. Brooklyn likes to think of itself as the most thoro yet The Bronx is more hardbody than brooklyn. Not that its anything to be proud of, im just saying

Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
It's really nothing to be proud of. I'm glad The Bronx is more dangerous, it's safer for me out here.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The Bronx has a higher poverty RATE but not sure it has more poverty or more low income residents because Brooklyn has over a million more people.

Brooklyn's poverty rate is 25% while The Bronx's is 30% but 25% of 2.5 M = 625,000( # of people living in poverty in Brooklyn) is more than 30% of 1.5M(450,000).... the number of people living in poverty in The Bronx.

So actually,there are a lot more people living in poverty in Brooklyn.
Man you guys beat me to the punch. Bronx has a higher rate of poverty while brooklyn has a higher rate of crime. I'm not sure which is worse, living in a high crime niegborhood, or a high poverty niegborhood or sometimes both since crime and poverty usually correlates with each other.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
It's really nothing to be proud of. I'm glad The Bronx is more dangerous, it's safer for me out here.
Dont get to ahead of yourself brooklyn is literally right on the heels of the bronx. Its really a neighborhood thing though. Someone in the north bronx could careless about the so called danger of the southwest bronx. Samething with sunset to brownsville or east new york

Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Yeah but BK people think that they live in Iraq. I tend to go with facts such as:

- Overall the Bronx has a higher crime rate than Brooklyn.

- Brooklyn's and the Bronx's worst hoods have about the same crime rate.

- Brooklyn's worst are a bit more murderous.

- The Bronx has higher poverty rate.

That's it. The above is fair to all. So one one get butt hurt. No gassing up hoods...

facts > u. (not you Andez...im saying in general)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ANd blue dog come on..2 could play it that game....sure New Orleans has a higher murder rate than NYC...but overall more people are murdered in NYC.

if BK had BX poverty rate..there would b a lot more people in poverty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

hoods are hood...its trivial to say which is really worse...when you get down to it you really deal with the same ****.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
To those responding to my post about Newark, I should have said NY metro area. Just becuase it isn't within city limits doesn't mean it doesn't add to NY's flavor.

Anyway, there is a couple of other pockets I think could all vie for "pretty Bad":

-Far Rockaway
-South Jamaica
-Central Harlem in the 130s/140s
-Newburgh, NY
Don't forget about washington hieghts much of the cities drugs come from that area. My professor at john jay told me at one time that washington hieghts alone distributes and sells more drugs then the south bronx, there's a book called the american drug scene and washington hieghts is the cities major drug hub according to this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City