Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times

Advertisements

there are two imagines painted in the imaginations of the bronx and brooklyn in the heads of the average american. One is the bronx which consisites of yankee stadium and a zoo surronsed by burned out tenements and housing projects, looks like postwar berlin. While brooklyn consists of brooklyn bridge conoey island, tree lined brown stones ala cosby show, bay ridge and Saturday night fever etc. Even though the media also portrys bad part of brooklyn like clockers and brooklyn finest, americans still don't assume brooklyn as a bad place, and assume all of the bronx is ig bad and dangerous which is not. Brooklyn has some of the most dangerous nieghorhoods in the city, luckly for brooklyn it does not have a high poverty rate in its crime ridden niegborhoods. I was courting a girl who lived in east ny and she wanted to move to the south bronx because its a little safer but I told her south bronx is poorer. Its gonna take along time and hopefully the deaths of millions of americans to shake off and forget the the whole bronx is bad. There are nice parts of the bronx, even some parts of th south bronx have safe pockets with no murders and working class people trying to live day I and day out. Bronx and brooklyn has its share of problems. What about other parts of the city. What about queens and all those illegal hispanic and asian immigrants who run brothels and other non violent crimes, what about those cronies on wall street that screwed over millions of americans out of their homes and jobs? Washington hieghts in upper manhattan is a major drug hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Mayor View Post
Moderator note: Moved from another thread, as the topic has gotten off-topic and become a discussion of safety in the Bronx vs. Brooklyn.

lets see you felt comfortable living in that giant public restroom called brooklyn? yet you odn't feel comfortable in the bronx?
So the mods moved this here, and you start off with this comment? I don't know why anyone would play the game you've set up. You've obviously got a bias thick enough to cut with a knife.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Don't forget about washington hieghts much of the cities drugs come from that area. My professor at john jay told me at one time that washington hieghts alone distributes and sells more drugs then the south bronx, there's a book called the american drug scene and washington hieghts is the cities major drug hub according to this book.
Inwood is a drug bazaar. I was there this past weekend on Post ave btwn Dyckman and W 204th st and it reminded me of my hood a few years ago. Walking on Nagle, Post, Vermylia etc you see more people hanging out then anywhere else in the city. I don't smoke but there was so much weed on those blocks that I got high! I saw dudes on the lookout on corners and on stoops with Nextels ..this would be followed by the person going in and someone going in after him. You gotta love the gold chains hanging from their necks.

I would bet money that those Inwood Blocks below 207th st supply most of the drugs in the city. If anyone wants to see Wash Heights circa 80's ..or throw back to the crack days...go to Inwood. It's almost as if drugs are legal there.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Quote:
Don't forget about washington hieghts much of the cities drugs come from that area. My professor at john jay told me at one time that washington hieghts alone distributes and sells more drugs then the south bronx, there's a book called the american drug scene and washington hieghts is the cities major drug hub according to this book.
Yeah, but I thought that ended after the death of Crack. Anyway, Wash Hts is only targeted becuase it sits on the approach to the GWB, same route the guns take too. It's not becuase Wash Hts is intrinsically more hood or anything...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Yeah, but I thought that ended after the death of Crack. Anyway, Wash Hts is only targeted becuase it sits on the approach to the GWB, same route the guns take too. It's not becuase Wash Hts is intrinsically more hood or anything...
And the people there.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Washington Heights Heroin Bust Shuts Down George Washington Bridge, Cross Bronx Expressway - DNAinfo.com

NYPD and DEA makes major drug bust, PAPD had to shut down George Washington Bridge because of this.

Yes true but the fact still can not hide that washington hieghts is still a major drug hub and throughofare. Washington hieghts is just as hood as anywhere else. Dont get me wrong there is two washington hieghts the nice uppidy and yuppie washington hieghts west of broadway and the high crime ridden area east of broadway. People on this board cherish Washington hieghts west of broadway, but washington east of broadway is just as bad as the niegborhoods across the harlem river in south west bronx. A few months ago I was around 160s and amsterdam and I never saw so much hustling on street corners in my life. Luckly for the hieghts it does not have a high poverty rate unlike the niegborhoods opposite the Harlem river.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
there are two imagines painted in the imaginations of the bronx and brooklyn in the heads of the average american. One is the bronx which consisites of yankee stadium and a zoo surronsed by burned out tenements and housing projects, looks like postwar berlin. While brooklyn consists of brooklyn bridge conoey island, tree lined brown stones ala cosby show, bay ridge and Saturday night fever etc. Even though the media also portrys bad part of brooklyn like clockers and brooklyn finest, americans still don't assume brooklyn as a bad place, and assume all of the bronx is ig bad and dangerous which is not. Brooklyn has some of the most dangerous nieghorhoods in the city, luckly for brooklyn it does not have a high poverty rate in its crime ridden niegborhoods. I was courting a girl who lived in east ny and she wanted to move to the south bronx because its a little safer but I told her south bronx is poorer. Its gonna take along time and hopefully the deaths of millions of americans to shake off and forget the the whole bronx is bad. There are nice parts of the bronx, even some parts of th south bronx have safe pockets with no murders and working class people trying to live day I and day out. Bronx and brooklyn has its share of problems. What about other parts of the city. What about queens and all those illegal hispanic and asian immigrants who run brothels and other non violent crimes, what about those cronies on wall street that screwed over millions of americans out of their homes and jobs? Washington hieghts in upper manhattan is a major drug hub.

I will probably get ripped a new a##hole for writing this and probably an infraction but I noticed Latino dominated neighborhoods seem to be poorer where black dominated neighborhoods seem to be more dangerous and grittier. This seems to be the trend even in some of the middle class black neighborhoods of southeast Queens. Asians are like Italians they hide their crimes well. San Francisco's Asian gangs are notorious for their crimes but no one thinks of their communities as dangerous. I'm sure it's the same situation in Chinatown, Sunset Park and Flushing.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I will probably get ripped a new a##hole for writing this and probably an infraction but I noticed Latino dominated neighborhoods seem to be poorer where black dominated neighborhoods seem to be more dangerous and grittier. This seems to be the trend even in some of the middle class black neighborhoods of southeast Queens. Asians are like Italians they hide their crimes well. San Francisco's Asian gangs are notorious for their crimes but no one thinks of their communities as dangerous. I'm sure it's the same situation in Chinatown, Sunset Park and Flushing.
Asian and Italian/Irish crime tends to be of the mafia variety, and as long as your nose isn't somewhere it isn't supposed to be, they generally leave you alone. Someone in Bensonhurst could live next to a Genovese enforcer for 20 years and not know it until he's found shot in his parked car, keys in igintion.

It does seem in many AA communites, it's more of a street crime issue. In Latino areas, it's drugs. The street crime is the worst IMHO becuase it targets honest day-to-day citizens. This is why even though all the ethnic groups commit crime, alot of AA's get singled out. This seems to have calmed down somewhat with the influx of West Indians and Africans, who don't commit nearly as much crime.

And no, I'm not trying to paint everyone like this, but we know it's true...

Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 AM

93 posts, read 246,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
I would say the Bronx is worse overall but Brooklyn's worst neighborhoods are worse than the Bronx's worst.
LOL LOL LOL Yeah I've been around Hunts Point before, fished in the stream at Hunts Point Park. I have some friends there. haha I have some friends there but Brownsville and East NY I've never been over there. Closest is on the A train through East NY. Never been on the 2345 trains east past Eastern Pkwy Brooklyn Museum....

Hunts Point theres a reason somebody would go such as the Fish/Produce/Meat market. No projects, just run down tenements. Brownsville/East NY theres no reason to, its all projects over there....

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM

93 posts, read 246,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It had a down year. It had 8 in 2007. So it fluctuates, and considering how small an area it is, the crime rates are very high. The robbery rate in 2008 was off the charts.

There is about 44,083 people in the confines of the 41st precinct. So it's murder rate in 2007 was 18 per 100,000 which is very high.

In 2008 it was only 7.

However the other crime stats, stand out,.

Rapes:

16 (36 per 100,000)

Robberies:

295 (669 per 100,000)

Felony Assaults:

370 (839 per 100,000)

Hunts Point is the highest crime nabe in the Bronx. It holds its own with B-ville.

Homicides: 35 > 7 Brownsville
Rapes: 34 < 36 Hunts point
Robberies: 682 > 669 Brownsville
Felony Assaults: 590 < 839 Hunts Point

Hunts Point poverty rate is also higher at around 50%.

Do you know how incredibly high the felony assault rates are in Hunts Point? It's out of this world. It's robberies and rapes are also among the worst in the city. And to top it off, Hunts Point/Longwood cover a tiny area because alot of it is industrial. So you have all this crime contained in a tiny area.

But yet Hunts Point doesn't nearly get the same "infamy" as Brownsville.
Hunts Point and all other southern Bronx neighborhoods are considered South Bronx, not Hunts Point individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City