Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM

129 posts, read 250,247 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to NYC in January, and I know that it will be cold, but exactly how cold? It will be a new experience for me to deal with extremely cold weather since I've lived in the Bay Area, CA all my life.

What kind of clothes will I need? Should I purchase thermal tops and long underwear?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
One thing that I would advise is not too buy too much "winter clothes" in CA. Things are just different. For example, in hotter states men's and women's slacks tend to be very thin. If you buy them in NY you will find that many are made of thicker materials and are lined inside. Same thing with sweaters and long sleeve shirts. The ones you can buy in CA might just be for looks but aren't actually that warm.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
One thing that I would advise is not too buy too much "winter clothes" in CA. Things are just different. For example, in hotter states men's and women's slacks tend to be very thin. If you buy them in NY you will find that many are made of thicker materials and are lined inside. Same thing with sweaters and long sleeve shirts. The ones you can buy in CA might just be for looks but aren't actually that warm.
Thanks for the advice. I really was just gonna buy a coat while in Cali just because since I'm flying to NYC, I can't bring much on the plane.

Weren't there blizzards last year?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Yes there are always blizzards. Might want to bring gloves, a scarf, and a hat if you can find them as well. As far as the coat, make sure it really is going to keep you warm. I remember one year I bought the heaviest coat I could find in FL for a January trip to NY. I was freezing when I got there, and luckily one of my cousins gave me one she wasn't using. I am moving back in November and am thankful I still have her coat!

January can be one of the coldest months in NYC, with average highs around 36 and average lows around 26, but it feels much colder when you add the wind chill factor.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Get you some waterproof insulated boots because last winter we had back to back blizzards with "feet" of snow.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Wind chills can get below 0. You should arrive with a long down overcoat, at least one heavy sweater, hat, gloves and scarf. You will also need a few warm outfits to get started, don't forget a few long sleeve shirts, maybe one or two turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks. I can understand that you don't want to move with too much, but have at least 2 or 3 warm shirts and a heavy button up sweater to hold you over until you can shop a bit. When you get here, invest in a warm pair of snow boots.

How long do you plan to live here? If you are only going to be here for a year or two, you may not want to spend a lot of $ to buy the best quality. Otherwise, spending a bit more can be worth it in the long run.

Will you be able to ship anything in advance?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Wind chills can get below 0. You should arrive with a long down overcoat, at least one heavy sweater, hat, gloves and scarf. You will also need a few warm outfits to get started, don't forget a few long sleeve shirts, maybe one or two turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks. I can understand that you don't want to move with too much, but have at least 2 or 3 warm shirts and a heavy button up sweater to hold you over until you can shop a bit. When you get here, invest in a warm pair of snow boots.

How long do you plan to live here? If you are only going to be here for a year or two, you may not want to spend a lot of $ to buy the best quality. Otherwise, spending a bit more can be worth it in the long run.

Will you be able to ship anything in advance?
I actually look forward to buying winter clothes. I've never had to buy them in Cali. My sister and family always look so stylish in their winter wardrobe.

Would these boots be a good choice?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179..._0=Brown/brown

I plan to be here indefinitely... I'm going to Brooklyn College, and hopefully after that, I can go to grad school at Columbia.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
It's very cold in January in NY. Actually, January through March are very cold months.

I can't believe your're coming here from CA, I am dying to leave NY for CA!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
We actually haven't had the good old fashioned New York City winters for quite a while. Now there might be a run of a week or two when the temperatures actually get down to the single digits. We also don't get half as much snow as we used to. If you're coming here from a place where it's summer most of the year, it will be an experience. But it won't be as awful as the weather reports like to have everyone believe.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Those would be good boots for most storms and the aftermath. You'll have to deal with slush and that's really annoying if your boots leak - you end up with wet freezing feet! You may want to buy a higher pair in case of a really big snowstorm - but you don't have to spend that much $ on them. As long as they are reasonably comfortable to wear (it's hard to walk in high snow and if they don't fit well, it's even harder) and keep your feet dry.

I wouldn't worry about being fashionalbe, especially if you have a long commute. Being cute does not prevent frostbite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City