Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 PM

101 posts, read 562,749 times

Advertisements

OMG....I dont know if some of you posters remember but I made a post not too long ago saying I was moving to Canarsie and Im seeing the apartment on Friday...

Well I saw the apartment! Ok so I had a 10:15 apointment and two other women was there because they were getting apartments in NYCHA's Bayview Towers as well and we were all excited ...We had to wait TWO hours! We didnt see the apartment until 12:30 pm...Anyway they other two ladies went before me and they came back very upset. She was telling me about how terrible her apartment was and how she wants another one and new cabinets she said there was so much roach feces all over the place etc. I thought she was exaggerating so I listened but was like okay whatever i havent see mine yet....

So she comes to show me my apartment and ...oh....my....I walk in and I first notice how big the actual apartment is and as I walk in...It was an utter disaster! There were dead roaches literally littered all over the floor...there was roach feces all over the place ....in the refridgerator, the stove was disgusting ...There were holes all over the apartment .... The cabinets had roach feces literally piled up...I looked into the bathroom and notice a huge pile of feces...I walk into the two bedrooms dead roaches are everywhere ...I happen to look up and suck in my breath because the whole ceiling...going all the way around the entire apartment is just this huge line of roach feces ...The doors were kicked in...The floor was torn up and had crazy tiles ...writing on the walls.... I could not get over the roach feces! It was sooooo much . The radiators was torn up peeling pain etc...I open up the closet doors and look up and see huge thick lines of roach feces ...The NYCHA manager who showed me the apt couldnt believe it. She said that is the WORST apartment she ever seen but assured me that before I move in they will have cleaned everything and it would be up to section 8 standards ....Oh not only that! She pointed out that there was black mold all over the place and that there have obviously been water in the apartment..

We left and she was dumbfounded.She spent the next 30 minutes dry heaving seriously . She said she couldnt get the smell out of her nose.

I went back in the office and told the other two women who said there apartments were similar but nowhere near as bad as mine..They were still taking the apartments. The head guy refused to change anyone's apartments..He said he showed the other two what the apartment's look like when they are finished and they said they were beautiful...I got talked into taking the apartment even though they couldnt guarantee that I will get new cabinets or new appliances ...The previous tenants were beyond filthy and was recently evicted...They still had food in all the cabinets and the refridgerator!

I got into the office to sign the papers and they said I wasnt supposed to see the apartment because of how its in such bad shape!
They assured me it wouldnt look like that...so they filled out all my section 8 paperwork and processed everything so im pretty much stuck there . They said the other women apartments will be ready by June but mine may take a month longer. I told them take your time! Im in no rush to move into that place. If it wasnt in such bad shape it wouldve been a beautiful apartment! I NEVER saw a project nycha apartment with that type of layout and I got excited just thinking about how I would decorate it however EVERY night Ive been having dreams about roaches and mold and mice and rats in that apartment...

Honestly they seemed pretty cheap like they wont replace anything but will merely wipe everything down .I dont even think they will clean up the roach feces from the ceilings/walls...I think they will just paint over it and paint over the mold and everything...

I made a HUGE mistake and I really regret it now..any day or month they will be calling me to tell me to move in and I fear walking into that apartment and it not being up to standard or me finding roach feces all in the closet walls etc. or finding out they were really cheap and truly dont care and dont do much to the apartment at all. If I move in and I see anything close to what I saw on Friday I WONT move in and ill lose my voucher but it was HORRIBLE ! ..My mom is telling me to calm down and that they will clean and fix everything up but NYCHA seems to be very cheap and only concerned about thier money.I mean look at the apartment they showed me! I wish I had a camera phone I wouldve took pics. You would not believe the utter filth and how gross it was!...What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM

My mom knows Ive been having dreams about that apartment but told me if I dont move there I cant move back in with her...My thing is if I find it's not fit to move in I wont have any other options..Ive already been in the NYC shelter system and they will tell me Oh you have an apartment you cant come back .....Im seriously having creepy roach dreams about that place! I think me and my kids will get sick living there...NYCHA just doesnt seem like they care about the tenants moving in there...I mean if they did why would they show us such crappy apartments if they arent ready..They are just doling out these apartments in such disgusting conditions..They are like well if you dont take it someone else will attitude ...It was such a big apartment I couldnt turn it down ...I just tried to have some faith that they will completly do the apartment over . The other two women were literally praying as well! We said we just have to try to have some faith that NYCHA will do the right thing .

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
they will clean up the apartment for you. but remmeber its still the projects so you will get roaches. just set off a couple bombs in there when u 1st move in. other than that, what was ur impression? and thanks for responding back to us.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
they will clean up the apartment for you. but remmeber its still the projects so you will get roaches. just set off a couple bombs in there when u 1st move in. other than that, what was ur impression? and thanks for responding back to us.
Outside of the absolute filth and crazy conditions I thought it was a nice apartment! The previous tenants were nasty filthy people..they ruined that apartment. It had a eat in kitchen...HUGE living room ....two spacious bed rooms...When I first saw the layout my mind went crazy with how i could decorate the apartment. I never saw a project apartment that nice with such a diffrent layout. I was literally like WOW...The manager told me that is everyone's first impression. It was REALLY hard to pass it up! I just thought about it for a long time and signed the papers to take the apartment hoping and praying that NYCHA will do the right thing and really clean the apartment and replace alot of that stuff.....They told me it would take two more months before I could move in so I thought that sounded GOOD ...I was like so they should really be working on that apartment in those 2 months ...Everyone else's apartment was only taking one month to complete...I just hope they come through for me ...If they really fix it up I plan to stay there for a longgggg time . My kids will love having all of that space to run. I live in Bushwick now in a small narrow 1 bedroom apartment..You can barely walk ...I plan to carpet a big portion of that apartment the floor was DISGUSTING .Im just realllllllllly nervous I will get the nasty tenant's old appliances and cabinets

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
u always have to worry about that wherever you move. when you get called just do a thorough cleaning, get some caulk and patch up any holes you see.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Unfortunately those are the kinds of people that are in the program, which is why so many Landlords are finally putting a stop to the madness and not renting to section 8, and other government programs. There are too many of those types of Tenants who tear up apts and live in filth, making life miserable for other Tenants and Landlords...and it has soured many Landlords. What I can say is that if the roach siutation was as bad as you say, then they will no doubt be coming back. So make sure you keep on top of it..because I suspect the vast majority of your neighbors are living in similar conditions. It sucks...

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,944 times
I am surprised they showed you that apartment in that condition. When they usually show apartments it's after they are cleaned up and painted. It sounds like they really need to rent those apartments out FAST so just be careful once you move in there and make sure you BOMB every single room in that apartment before actually moving in.

I recently applied and chose Latimer Gardens just waiting on an apartment myself and I pray it's not a MESS like that but, if it is I will still take it regardless and make sure its painted, bombed and seal up any holes because if you don't you will either LOSE your turn and have to start from scratch or have to wait a VERY VERY long time again for another place.

Good Luck

Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
I am surprised they showed you that apartment in that condition. When they usually show apartments it's after they are cleaned up and painted. It sounds like they really need to rent those apartments out FAST so just be careful once you move in there and make sure you BOMB every single room in that apartment before actually moving in.

I recently applied and chose Latimer Gardens just waiting on an apartment myself and I pray it's not a MESS like that but, if it is I will still take it regardless and make sure its painted, bombed and seal up any holes because if you don't you will either LOSE your turn and have to start from scratch or have to wait a VERY VERY long time again for another place.

Good Luck

Yes I know that is why I took the apt... I just took a leap of faith because I know it takes years to get in an apartment in one of NYCHA's buildings

Old 05-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Unfortunately those are the kinds of people that are in the program, which is why so many Landlords are finally putting a stop to the madness and not renting to section 8, and other government programs. There are too many of those types of Tenants who tear up apts and live in filth, making life miserable for other Tenants and Landlords...and it has soured many Landlords. What I can say is that if the roach siutation was as bad as you say, then they will no doubt be coming back. So make sure you keep on top of it..because I suspect the vast majority of your neighbors are living in similar conditions. It sucks...
This isnt a section 8 apartment. This is a public housing building...they just recently began taking section 8 so section 8 tenants is not the cause of this damage...it's the public housing tenants..They are the dirty filthy destructive program tenants that destroyed that apartment ... I hope and pray that I can keep the roaches at bay..I can not live like that...Not at all...Im just going to try my best to keep the apartment clean ...I have a few roaches where I live now and I have to be vigilant that I dont take not even 1 of those roaches into my new place ! This is why Im leaving my sofas here . I dont want to chance it..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 60,248 times
calm down.
the day they call you,
you will go over there with a family member or trusted friend and an "open mind"
and either a cell phone or enough change for the pay phone,pen and paper--
and
IF
that apartment's still messed up,repairs not completed,etc etc
you will remain calm
and immediately call 311 and EXPLAIN the entire situation to the operator
and follow through.

with roaches,etc---VACUUM every day,put a wedge against the apt door
and they'll migrate and breed elsewhere--
no need to kill yourself with all those bs sprays etc.
vacuum,then damp mop--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City