Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 PM

565 posts, read 361,965 times

Advertisements

Like all former great things that made NYC...NYC, the accent is going, going gone!

White ethnic flight, illegal aliens, foreign billionaires, Chinese nationals along with tons and tons of white transients will soon make the accent a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The Archie Bunker sitcom character used to sit in his easy chair and ask his wife "HEY, EE-dit' , bring me a bih." (not "beeuh", just "bih").

New Yorkers also say "huhr", "fuhr" for "her", "fur".
I'm pretty sure that those are the standard American pronunciations of "her" and "fur"

Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM

The stereotypical white NY accent is dead. The black/PR version is more alive, but that is shared with the rest of the Northeast.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 PM

357 posts, read 125,412 times
the big difference is with slang used, pronunciation of the "r" these days, and some of the huskiness in peoples voices; mostly though, the accent is alive and well with those of us actually from here; In New York City, there's a whole bunch of people from other places, being not from here or this region might stand out, and I'm sure there are native New Yorkers all over the country and they've took their accents and slang with them....

Old 05-28-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
the big difference is with slang used, pronunciation of the "r" these days, and some of the huskiness in peoples voices; mostly though, the accent is alive and well with those of us actually from here; In New York City, there's a whole bunch of people from other places, being not from here or this region might stand out, and I'm sure there are native New Yorkers all over the country and they've took their accents and slang with them....
Not so noticible in people under 40

Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 165,049 times
The craziest thing is that with the older accent becoming less and less common, people who are from here but who don't have the accent are told that they don't sound like they are from here.

Sigh. This happened to me in western Massachusetts back in the early 2000s. My parents, Carib immigrants. Me, born and raised in NYC.

But somebody caught the Carib cadences just recently, a neighbor I was chatting with, someone I didn't know. I sounded like some of his older relatives from my parents' country. Husband, from New England, could tell from the start that I have a slight accent.

The funniest, going to a bodega, and the guy asked whether I was British--this has happened a few times. Being from New York, living here, but people thinking I'm from elsewhere.

Me: I'm not British, I have a North American accent.
Me: I'm from around the corner.

LOL

Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 AM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

"How about terlet instead of toilet? Or erl instead of oil?"

My grandmother (who came from italy) …..spoke broken English. If she had to use the word toilet or oil:
she said it just like that…..”Terlet & erl.”

it was her accent…. So ‘terlet’ / ‘erl’ came from off-the-boat-Italians….……….LoL.

plus, she brought with her…….her unique, one-of-a-kind RAVIOLI’S she made from
scratch (with chicken soup not “red sauce” ravioli’s).

Here’s what happens after you eat my Grandmother’s ravioli’s:

Grazie...Gramma Louisa…….. (I still make them).

Old 05-28-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
The craziest thing is that with the older accent becoming less and less common, people who are from here but who don't have the accent are told that they don't sound like they are from here.

Sigh. This happened to me in western Massachusetts back in the early 2000s. My parents, Carib immigrants. Me, born and raised in NYC.

But somebody caught the Carib cadences just recently, a neighbor I was chatting with, someone I didn't know. I sounded like some of his older relatives from my parents' country. Husband, from New England, could tell from the start that I have a slight accent.

The funniest, going to a bodega, and the guy asked whether I was British--this has happened a few times. Being from New York, living here, but people thinking I'm from elsewhere.

Me: I'm not British, I have a North American accent.
Me: I'm from around the corner.

LOL
A lot of outsiders get their ideas of what a New York accent is from old movies, dated 30-40+ years

I also don't think that there was ever a time when every native New Yorker had the same accent.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:42 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post

My grandmother (who came from italy) …..spoke broken English. If she had to use the word toilet or oil:
she said it just like that…..”Terlet & erl.”

it was her accent…. So ‘terlet’ / ‘erl’ came from off-the-boat-Italians….……….LoL.

plus, she brought with her…….her unique, one-of-a-kind RAVIOLI’S she made from
scratch (with chicken soup not “red sauce” ravioli’s).

Here’s what happens after you eat my Grandmother’s ravioli’s:

Grazie...Gramma Louisa…….. (I still make them).

Lol. That sounds divine, both the pasta and the speech.

I didn't have an "eyetalian" grandmother, but if I had, and she wanted to say;
" let's get the **** outta here", it would come out this way: sghedda foccari!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:11 AM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

"Lol. That sounds divine, both the pasta and the speech.

I didn't have an "eyetalian" grandmother, but if I had, and she wanted to say;
" let's get the **** outta here", it would come out this way: sghedda foccari!

"let's get the outta here --- sghedda foccari"!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City