Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NY The Best US City To Live In????
YES 62 48.82%
NO 65 51.18%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM

341 posts, read 452,471 times

Advertisements

I voted NO because I feel that NYC trys to take advantage of it's people. You can't go anywhere without having the police lie on you and give you a ticket...you're just constantly trying to be ripped off and have to worry about sooooo many silly laws and stuff. The weather is sort of blah..but yes, there is energy and a chance to make money. I would just say that unless you came here for the energy and a chance to make good money, then NYC definitely sucks for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Wow I can't believe it after 72 votes we're still tied...there is lots of emotion on both sides here...what I don't see is that anyone taking a middle ground...it's almost as if you either love it or not!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 AM

176 posts, read 638,748 times
If you want bragging rights...

Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
so then what makes NY the best?
The People!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Like some people stated: If you're rich, than there is no place like NYC.

However, if you're middle class, or Godforbid, poor, NYC is probably rank as one of the worst cities in the nation to live in.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Ny is not the BEST U.S. City to Live in it's one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities to live in. It's OVERPOPULATED, FILTHY and NO WORK!!!!!! COST OF LIVING is over the roof, rent is SKYHIGH and it's not the SAFEST place considering everything else going on so the BEST definitely not and this is coming from someone who was born and raised in NY and DYING to relocate
If you have money and can afford to live there, it is a fabulous place to live. If you don't have much money and struggle with finances, it is one of the toughest cities in the world to live in. NYC has a much higher stress level on the middle class and lower than any other city in the US, I'd say.

If you are single, you need to make about a $150k per yr to live comfortably there. A couple needs about $200k, while a family of 4 (this is all Manhattan) would need about $250-$300k....not joking. To live comfortably and comparable to the suburbs/other city living.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 AM

172 posts, read 476,034 times
If you're young or you're loaded, it's a lot of fun. But if you're anything else it's brutal. Have always loved it but am beginning to feel it can't possibly be worth the struggle.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
If you're young or you're loaded, it's a lot of fun. But if you're anything else it's brutal. Have always loved it but am beginning to feel it can't possibly be worth the struggle.
That's the point...the best city should be the one that is can be livable for everyone...not just the rich or famous....

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 AM

224 posts, read 676,002 times
What's funny is this... people who didn't grow up in NYC rave about it. I grew up here and I have mixed feelings.

There are many great places to live in this country. And what I'm starting to realize now is that much of what makes NYC great--especially its immigrant population and diversity--can be found in other cities albeit to a lesser degree.

I was in Chandler, Arizona thinking, "this reminds me of Jackson Heights, Queens." Except out in Chandler, I can get a huge house for $350,000--as opposed to a one-bedroom condo in Jackson Heights--along with better schools, better parks, etc.

My point is, in a nutshell, NYC is greatly overrated. Yes we do have a lot of great things to offer, but the reality is the people who live here don't go to the Met every day or to Lincoln Center, etc. Maybe once a year they go to a Broadway show? Hell, I haven't been to the museum in years. You get my point.

Bottom line: It depends on what you value. If you want space and low stress, this isn't the place for you.

I will say, however, NYC is definitely better than Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, etc. But is it better than, say, Austin, San Francisco, Portland, etc. I don't know. These smaller cities are starting to offer much more without the headaches.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM

341 posts, read 452,471 times
I didn't grow up here, nor do I EVER rave about this place. I've had enough of it and can't seem to recognize the charm that others boast about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City