Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NY The Best US City To Live In????
YES 62 48.82%
NO 65 51.18%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
I live in an awesome part of NYC. To say that people who don't like it are "broke" is sort of ignorant on your part. I'm not broke by any means....well at least thanks to my partner lol...and I live in a great area.

In my opinion, a great city isn't one that you need to spend a fortune on to enjoy. If you can't enjoy a city without going broke, then it's truly not the best city.

I'm simply not impressed by NYC. It's really as simple as that. If I moved, I probably wouldn't miss it either.
Ridiculous. If you have the cash new york city is beyond wonderful. Even if your regular(like me) new york is wonderful. Theres too much diversity as far as the environment one can live in new york. A nice home in queens, a brownstone in brooklyn etc.
Theres nothing to not be impressed with in nyc. Maybe in philly or chicago or something. New york is just not that type of city. Whatever life style u want new york can accomadate you

Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ridiculous. If you have the cash new york city is beyond wonderful. Even if your regular(like me) new york is wonderful. Theres too much diversity as far as the environment one can live in new york. A nice home in queens, a brownstone in brooklyn etc.
Theres nothing to not be impressed with in nyc. Maybe in philly or chicago or something. New york is just not that type of city. Whatever life style u want new york can accomadate you

Not really. If that was the case, why do so many people leave NYC? Some are tired of it. Some want better for themselves and families, some just want a change. The hustle and bustle is not for everyone. I love NYC, but to call it the best...is subjective. Whatever floats your boat, I say.
I will always love NYC, but live there again? I'm not too sure. There are plenty of other states and even other countries that may accomodate one's desires. Let's not all be closed minded and arrogant about NYC.

Would I move back to NYC with two kids, a wife to live in a cramped up apt or a small house in Queens? No..Not for me anymore. I like my space, and don't want my neighbors on top of me. I don't want to have to take the train from Queens to be in Central Park (most parks in Queens are crappy). I'll have my kids enjoy their backyard (1 acre) in their Atlanta suburban house, enjoy my 3 car garage (for all my toys), and enjoy the amenities there. That's me. For someone else, being cramped up in a 800 sq ft apt with two kids may be OK. (I'd lose my mind).

When I was single, younger a 1BR Apt in South Brooklyn was more than enough for me. (I'm a NY'er at heart...Malloy H.S grad, St. John's University grad ). Like many others who left NYC, I've decided to move forward.

Is NYC unique? YES, it is . It's hard to refute that. But, is it the best? NO!! Like I said earlier, whenever I get the itch, I take a plane or drive to NYC for a few days, and head back. That does it for me. I have fun, see friends and family. Then the reality that made me leave NYC in the first place sets in again. . Then it's time to go, until I get the need to be there again.
It's subjective. For those who believe it is, let it be. For those who don't, let them enjoy where ever it is they left NY for.

Oh, and by the way...if you have the cash, just about anywhere can be beyond wonderful (some places, more than others).

Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Visit? Maybe. Live? No.

I cosign all of MisterNY...except I'm young, don't have a family, and would still prefer to live in the ATL right now.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Not really. If that was the case, why do so many people leave NYC? Some are tired of it. Some want better for themselves and families, some just want a change. The hustle and bustle is not for everyone. I love NYC, but to call it the best...is subjective. Whatever floats your boat, I say.
I will always love NYC, but live there again? I'm not too sure. There are plenty of other states and even other countries that may accomodate one's desires. Let's not all be closed minded and arrogant about NYC.

Would I move back to NYC with two kids, a wife to live in a cramped up apt or a small house in Queens? No..Not for me anymore. I like my space, and don't want my neighbors on top of me. I don't want to have to take the train from Queens to be in Central Park (most parks in Queens are crappy). I'll have my kids enjoy their backyard (1 acre) in their Atlanta suburban house, enjoy my 3 car garage (for all my toys), and enjoy the amenities there. That's me. For someone else, being cramped up in a 800 sq ft apt with two kids may be OK. (I'd lose my mind).

When I was single, younger a 1BR Apt in South Brooklyn was more than enough for me. (I'm a NY'er at heart...Malloy H.S grad, St. John's University grad ). Like many others who left NYC, I've decided to move forward.

Is NYC unique? YES, it is . It's hard to refute that. But, is it the best? NO!! Like I said earlier, whenever I get the itch, I take a plane or drive to NYC for a few days, and head back. That does it for me. I have fun, see friends and family. Then the reality that made me leave NYC in the first place sets in again. . Then it's time to go, until I get the need to be there again.
It's subjective. For those who believe it is, let it be. For those who don't, let them enjoy where ever it is they left NY for.

Oh, and by the way...if you have the cash, just about anywhere can be beyond wonderful (some places, more than others).

Great post. NYC is a wonderful place to live if you're single, or have tons of money, but if you have a family and want someting better, it is best that one head out of the city and maybe move Down South.

I love NYC with all my heart, but I sometimes I see myself leaving this city to settle down probably down in the South.

NYC is just too expensive to live comfortably with a family, and I really don't care too much about my well being, but I will give the world to my future wife and children.

With the cost of living in an apartment in Queens, Brooklyn, or God-forbid, Manhattan, one can EASILY live suburban Atlanta, Charlotte, and even DC, and live in a beautiful area, that is safe, clean, and much cheeper.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 AM

165 posts, read 605,166 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more.
No one can call any one city the best.
Were all individuals and we are going to have our own opinions

Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
For me personally yes. I live NJ, but I remember when I spend weeks and months in Brooklyn and Queens & everyone in the family knew I was better suited for NYC than here. Even when I visit, I just feel like I'm home which I've never felt in NJ though I've come to somewhat like it. The people, atmosphere, fast paced lifestyle: I love it and anytime I'm there, Nas's song "The World Is Yours" pops in my head cause that's how I feel with NYC.
yeah, well said.

as long as you can afford a place there, why not live there? i moved because my wife wanted to live closer to her family in south jersey. but we plan on moving back.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
HKL

20 posts, read 54,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
What if my lifestyle includes a reliable, fast method of public transit?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:

COST!!!!!! People flock out of New York City area, San Francisco/Bay Area, Southern California, etc but we all know they are the best places this country has to offer. You can try to convince yourself that Alabama, Houston, North Carolina, Tallahassee, Arkansas or whatever is better than New York City but you're only fooling yourself.

Quote:
"One concern dominated: housing costs, cited by 64% of those asked for their "major reason" for departing."
Quote:
"New Yorkers earning $200,000+ were far more likely to stay in the city than those earning under $100,000"
http://www.nycfuture.org/images_pdfs...Aspiration.pdf

So yes, it's cost.

Last edited by Americanboy; 05-21-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
I live in an awesome part of NYC. To say that people who don't like it are "broke" is sort of ignorant on your part. I'm not broke by any means....well at least thanks to my partner lol...and I live in a great area.

In my opinion, a great city isn't one that you need to spend a fortune on to enjoy. If you can't enjoy a city without going broke, then it's truly not the best city.

I'm simply not impressed by NYC. It's really as simple as that. If I moved, I probably wouldn't miss it either.
No, Sunnyside Queens isn't an awesome part of New York City. I wouldn't like living there either. You aren't impressed, because the NYC lifestyle you see on TV is out of reach to you.

I don't live in NY, but have been everywhere and New York City is about as impressive a city as you can get. You may not fancy living in it (you may be a country/suburb person), but there is no denying that New York is an amazing, overwhelming, IMPRESSIVE city. To say New York is unimpressive is frankly, stupid. People don't drop millions of dollars to live in "unimpressive" NYC. But I understand, I lived in dumpy section of London and lived in a tiny flat and I tried to convince myself that London was a terrible, overrated city (because I couldn't afford it) but deep down, the true reason I disliked it was because I couldn't afford it back then. Now, it would be silly for me to say that London isn't an impressive city.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-21-2009 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: People who don't live in NYC are welcome to have opinions about the city and to post here -- thanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
exactly nyc is the best city. If u chose to move here, than u chose to move to an urban setting, being that nyc is the best urban setting in the world how can u not be impressed with it.

I want to raise my kids here. Having a childhood in a city like new york is second to none. Definantly made me a more aware person. I was used to differant cultures and customs as that was a natural part of being from here. Raising your kids in a worldly setting is much better than the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City