U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM

8 posts, read 44,323 times

Advertisements

I'm new to NYC and I've seen a few Black guys out with Latinas. What's it like for young black males who like hispanic women in NYC? Why are these relationships common in NY?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,010,668 times
Well my guess is it's because many (if not most) of the Hispanics in NYC are Puerto Rican and Dominican. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, well many of them at least, have black in them. Puerto Ricans and blacks get along just fine here because they have some similar ground when it comes to culture (music, dance, etc.)

Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 AM

5,724 posts, read 18,945,185 times
It's not that common.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

61 posts, read 224,069 times
I always wonder when I see people ask questions like this...where are you from that you even have to ask? I'm mixes, let's just say half white/half black and I'm currently dating an Chinese girl for the same reason that I was previously dating a Puerto Rican girl which was for the same reason I was dating a Jewish girl...they all said yes.

I've lived all over the country, and all over the world, and I get that not every place is diverse as NYC, but come on guy...seriously?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM

188 posts, read 374,072 times
Default plantanos and collard greens -great play/book

Blacks and hispanics tend to live in the same areas, so that alone will contribute to the situation. It is also true that a good amount of hispanics are of african descent, so they might just be they're attracted to someone who is a lil bit different but not not too far off. If youre judging from what you see, you might even be mistaking a hispanic (dominican) for a black guy who is dating a hispanic girl who has a higher percent of european/native lineage.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,432,945 times
There are plenty of threads on this forum that go into this. Lets just say some people have friendships with all types of people not based on ethnicity.

Some people like to stick more with the ethnic group that they were born into, when it comes to socializing for enjoyment only.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 44,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It's not that common.
Maybe not REALLY common but I see much more Black/White relationships.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 5,197,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
It is also true that a good amount of hispanics are of african descent, so they might just be they're attracted to someone who is a lil bit different but not not too far off. If youre judging from what you see, you might even be mistaking a hispanic (dominican) for a black guy who is dating a hispanic girl who has a higher percent of european/native lineage.
A lot of new yorkers myself included often assume a black or mulatto spanish- speaking person is either PR, DR, or Panamanian. Over the past 10 years NY's hispanic population has really diversified. I was surprised how many black latinos I thought were of the three previously mentioned were actually Colombian, Guatemalan, Costa Rican, Honduran or Cuban. I often mistake Egyptians and North Africans for Caribbean latinos (they have same variation). A lot of times the relationships you see may be interracial (not quite accurate given the mixture of the ethnic group) but they're of same or similar culture and ethnicity.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM

16,290 posts, read 29,689,546 times
I am from the LA area and seems like a normal dating situation to me. Thought we were over the racial thing? I am white and my wife is Mexican. My sister is dating an African American man. No one out here seems to bat an eye at it. Figured New York would be similar.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM

223 posts, read 577,385 times
To answer the question of "how it's like?", I guess that depends on the two people involved. Since the two are dating, it's safe to assume that they're open minded already and this would be positive in getting to know about each others culture, etc. And since the coupling is common enough in NYC, you won't get too much flack from others.

Now, as far as how common it is will probably be based on perspective. It's more common here than in Greensboro, N. Carolina but statistically, each group (as with most groups) form relationships with people from within their own group.

Actually, I'm in a relationship with a Puerto Rican (born & raised in NYC) and I'm Afro American. I do believe it's intercultural. However, I don't consider it interracial per se considering the racial history in the Western Hemisphere and the fact that neither one of us are at the "100%" mark on the racial spectrum. It's like saying Jennifer Lopez and P. Diddy had an interracial relationship but if it would've been Alicia Keyes and P. Diddy wouldn't be. I know most outsiders view my relationship as interracial which is cool and easy. I just like to be truthful/accurate with myself.

PS - And when I think about it, even my intercultural relationship with my SO is "watered down" cause I can read, write, and speak Spanish moderately, know some customs, and I cook PR food like an abuela...lol. And he grow up around and had close relationships with Afro Americans and Afro Caribbeans all his life. So basically interracial, intercultural doesn't make much difference in the world we live in nowadays. Especially NYC. Be open and have fun.

Last edited by JaasNYC; 05-08-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: