U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
 
295 posts, read 1,432,161 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

Congrats on your kid getting in to Bx Sci. It's a great school.

I don't understand though...

If you like your neighborhood, why move? Many kids from Bx Sci commute LONG distances (try 1-1.5 hrs each way). I'd say a great majority of the Asian kids commute from Queens. This is often how the kids form friendships...

If you wanted to stay...a commute from Wash Heights would be a cake walk. One express bus: tons of kids going back & forth on it.

If you wanted to move from Wash Heights anyway...consider all places that have express bus service to Bx Sci (I'm sure one phone call to the school would give you a good idea).

When I went there (years ago), I only knew 1 kid who could WALK there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
 
4 posts, read 37,486 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you for your congratulations.

I came from a very rural place in the midwest. I settled down in Washington Heights just because it is close to Columbia University Medical Center, my work place. However, we are sacrificing other things for commute convenience.

We are currently living in a pre-war building, which is not well-maintained and surrounded by other buildings. We are at the 2nd floor, can only get one-hour sunshine each day, and an open garbage station is on the first floor. We have never-ending roach and mouse problems. You gotta to be very careful about dog waste while walking on streets, and kids throw stuff to your windows from time to time. I love my hispanic neighbors, they are family-oriented, similar to asians, very nice and friendly. But the all-night-long music playing is a torture to people like us from rural area (it may be our problem).

Bronx Science is a very competitive school and our daughter is not super smart. If have to move, we'd love to save her some time on trafficking, even one hour a day would help. We originally thought about Fort Lee, in NJ. But sustaining the residency of NYC and long-time passing toll gate traffic will be huge problems. We even had found an agent in there and paid visits to houses, but had to give it up after re-think. Fort Lee is a beautiful place, and a new world to our current living place, though it is just a bridge away crossing hudson river. I love people living in Fort Lee, I think I share lots of similarities with them. After our daughter goes to college, we will be freed up and can go wherever we want to go, or can't we

Wish everyone a nice weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
Congrats on your kid getting in to Bx Sci. It's a great school.

I don't understand though...

If you like your neighborhood, why move? Many kids from Bx Sci commute LONG distances (try 1-1.5 hrs each way). I'd say a great majority of the Asian kids commute from Queens. This is often how the kids form friendships...

If you wanted to stay...a commute from Wash Heights would be a cake walk. One express bus: tons of kids going back & forth on it.

If you wanted to move from Wash Heights anyway...consider all places that have express bus service to Bx Sci (I'm sure one phone call to the school would give you a good idea).

When I went there (years ago), I only knew 1 kid who could WALK there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Location: MidManhattan
5 posts, read 10,011 times
Reputation: 10
Congratulations!
I'm currently finishing my freshman year at Bronx Science and I love the community there! (Although coming from a competitive Manhattan middle school, I've honestly never faced a tougher grading system ) They do encourage students to transfer out if they are having a tough time (I know of three freshman who have gotten transfer out forms this year) so I'm not sure if it's worth the commute if she'll have a difficult time making the grade. The fact that it's a specialized school increases competition for college, which magnifies the concern about grades, although I wouldn't worry about it before school has even started
I wouldn't be concerned about safety, students usually go home in groups, and often very large groups (often 20) students take the Bx10 together to 231st to switch to the 1 train. If you do want to move, many of the students (particularly the ones of South Asian descent, for some reason) live in areas like Castle Hill, Riverdale, Pelham Bay Parkway, and Parkchester, so I'm sure your child could find a buddy to travel with. I have had to leave the school at 9 PM (volunteering at parent teacher conferences) by myself, and I have never been assaulted on the street.
Atlantic Express also offers a private bus service to Bronx Science students (dropping off at 8 AM, and picking up at 3:34 and 6 PM) for $2300 per year.
Good luck! If you or her have any questions you can always refer to me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,821 times
Reputation: 10
Hey guys, I am concerned about my safety. I am a travel nurse and my current assignment is at Montefiore (Moses) campus. At first we were told we would have transportation to and from the hospital but now we do not. They have us housed in New Rochelle and the route we have to take to get to the hospital I have to take a train to Fordham station then walk up Fordham ave for 4 blocks to get to the bus stop. I will also be doing this alone because nobody is working the same hours that I will be. I would leave my place at 5:15 pm and leave work around 7:30 am. What do you guys think? I am also a female.

Thank you guys!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 31,145,438 times
Reputation: 3835
Default what bus line is it?

maybe it's the Bx 34 bus you are taking at Fordham Rd and Bainbridge Avenue, then going home you would be taking the 34 down to Fordham Rd via Bainbridge/ Valentine Avenue?

those reversed hours you mention seem safe. the walk from the bus to the train along Fordham Rd would still be crowded

why do they have you go down to Fordham from New Rochelle when you could just go down to Williamsbridge Station and then walk up Gun Hill to the hospital
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,039 posts, read 22,267,251 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
maybe it's the Bx 34 bus you are taking at Fordham Rd and Bainbridge Avenue, then going home you would be taking the 34 down to Fordham Rd via Bainbridge/ Valentine Avenue?

those reversed hours you mention seem safe. the walk from the bus to the train along Fordham Rd would still be crowded

why do they have you go down to Fordham from New Rochelle when you could just go down to Williamsbridge Station and then walk up Gun Hill to the hospital
I agree with both of these points.

There is nothing at all to be worried about walking along Fordham Road at those hours.It is bustling with people.

Getting off of the train at the Williamsbridge stop,if that is an option(may not be with all trains),and walking to Montefiore from there would make more sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,286 times
Reputation: 10
Hi Everyone.

The initial post on safety around Bx. Sci. is a few years old but we are facing a similar issue. My son will be starting his full load this fall and we are debating if we should cut down commute time and move near the school because he's now in the summer session there and we can see how he's sleep deprived already for only one non-major class getting up at 6am and catching the bus from a private company. On the other hand, we found out that the rentals in Century Apartments are frightfully pricey, compared to where we live in Queens, which is a very nice area.

One sticky issue is if it's safe to walk alone, with a couple of others or even a group to school. We have heard a tale where a student was mugged (and hurt?) in recent years but didn't have the exact dynamics.

I did a search on the Web and found this site and can appreciate the contributions from the various users. Did the circumstances change after 2009? Anything new?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,039 posts, read 22,267,251 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
Hi Everyone.

The initial post on safety around Bx. Sci. is a few years old but we are facing a similar issue. My son will be starting his full load this fall and we are debating if we should cut down commute time and move near the school because he's now in the summer session there and we can see how he's sleep deprived already for only one non-major class getting up at 6am and catching the bus from a private company. On the other hand, we found out that the rentals in Century Apartments are frightfully pricey, compared to where we live in Queens, which is a very nice area.

One sticky issue is if it's safe to walk alone, with a couple of others or even a group to school. We have heard a tale where a student was mugged (and hurt?) in recent years but didn't have the exact dynamics.

I did a search on the Web and found this site and can appreciate the contributions from the various users. Did the circumstances change after 2009? Anything new?
He'll be fine.I don't think muggings are an ongoing issue and if you watch the news you hear about people(especially teenagers) getting mugged all over the city.

There are plenty of apartment buildings in Riverdale with lower rents than Century and plenty of other decent neighborhoods in The Bronx with lower rents than Riverdale.At the Century you pay a pretty hefty premium for panoramic Manhattan and Hudson River views and other amenities that you probably don't really need.

The Van Cortlandt Village area(around the top of the reservoir just below Van Cortlandt Park) is nice,has some nice buildings and is a short walk to Bronx Science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Cortlandt_Village

A map in this article shows how close the neighborhood is to BS:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/re...pagewanted=all

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-09-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 31,145,438 times
Reputation: 3835
that area isn't dangerous per se except that in the off school season it can be deserted since you have the "Educational mile" that runs from De Witt Clinton HS all the way down to Kingsbridge Rd and you don't have much else around there other than the tacky looking el along Jerome Avenue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,109 times
Reputation: 10
Drugs & Thugs in The Bronx, come on, What Ate Those Science Students Up To Now ??? LoL
You have The Hope Center right across the street there, go in and ask them about the area, oh there was a neat White Castle there too, but they seem to be phasing out of the area so I'll have to check again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top