Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 AM

391 posts, read 1,248,517 times

Advertisements

Not sure why your singling out men. Women can give up their seats on the subway as well because like men they also have legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,415 times
Are you serious?

My post wasn't politically correct enough for you?

Well ...

Guess that's just too bad ...

So stop crying ...

and start standing

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 AM

Thinking it over a minute , perhaps you're partly right ... so let me throw it out there ... ladies , please stand too sometimes ...

Feel better?

Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 AM

101 posts, read 562,723 times
Plenty of women have gotten up for me and my kids .....Women shouldnt have to stand up if a man is perfectly able to and besides you never know if a woman is pregnant or not...I was 9 months pregnant and I didnt show but i sureee felt it!

Im really tall so the doctor told me when I was pregnant with the first that I probaly wouldnt show . Im 6"1 btw...I guess some people think oh she's sooo tall she can stand smh

Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 AM

LOL It's funny when a guy shorter than me offer his seat sometimes because I just tower over him because Im so tall ...Im like ehhh that's awkward lol

I might as well add this to the list of complaints Im sure EVERYONE can agree with...Dont you hate it when the subway stops and people literally almost knock you down so they can rush in and plop thier asses into a seat ...That just makes me LIVID...Im like WTH?! You gonna knock me down just to get in a seat! LOL this week this guy pissed me off...I was standing with my stroller and the door stopped directly in front of me and he tried to walk ahead of me and my stroller ...Ohhhh boy I jutted my stroller right on the train and I saw him looking at a particular seat so I put my stroller there in front so he couldnt sit and than I just sat down there...and by the time I sat down the other seats filled up and the jerk had to stand up ...I was soooooo laughing inside! I was thinking I hope that jerk doesnt find a seat and I looked around until I spotted him standing in a corner with his little headphones on and I smiled ...He was so flipping rude! I see ppl fight about this on the subway all the time! This was years ago but my ex got into a huge fight about this...This girl tried to run him down just to sit in a seat and he clowned her the whole way and embarassed her. He was really pissed about it.

Oh how many times have this happened to you guys? You are on a crowded train and someone will try to squeeze thier behind on the train even though there is no room! I HATEEEEE that! I dont care how late I am I wont go onto a packed train like that...This was back when I was pregnant but the train was packed and I was standing with my stroller this asian guy squeezed on the train right behind me and i was all pressed up against my stroller handles and I was pissed we were like sardines! I was like OMG how flipping rude! This black guy cursed him out and they almost fought! I was like YAY save the day ! Kick his ass! He got out at the very next stop Im sure because he realized if he didnt he was gonna get beat down lol

I will NEVER get over this!! This was when I first moved to NYC years ago...like 2002 ..I was really young and naieve and very timid...Well I was on a subway in the Bronx and the train was crowded but it wasnt that crowded ...anyway this guy was standing behind me and he literally had his privates pressed directly on my behind! I was soooooooo afraid and I felt everything ...It seemed like whenever the train turned or whatever he'd press into me harder...I think I even felt him grab my waist at one point...I felt him the whole ride until the train emptied out again..I felt so friggin violated like i'd been raped..I couldnt even look at him in the eye..I just hightailed it out of there ! I caught a glimpse of him and couldnt believe it...a goodlooking normal looking guy...but he was a pervert! I wasnt aware that guys did that on the train and after I saw him I convinced myself that it was all in my head and maybe I imagined the whole thing or took it out of context like maybe it really WAS that crowded but now I know better. He was copping a feel!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 AM

If you're 6' 1" then next time you need a seat just take it ... by force if you have to ... just please don't start any fights on MY train , I like to be on time or as close to schedule as possible ...

Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 AM

204 posts, read 813,085 times
Ironic, because you have no respect for any other subway rider that isn't a mother.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
My understanding is (and I hope Fred corrects me if I'm wrong) that the elevators are in place to comply with federal ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) regulations. That means, their designated purpose is to allow disabled individuals access to the subway. Being a single mother with children is not a disability covered under the Act. That means you don't have any more "right" to the elevator than anyone else, and need to wait your turn with everyone else who wants to use it.

When you're on the stairs, do you have that stroller folded up as it's supposed to be? If not, you're making it harder on yourself than you need to. As for others helping you -- yes, manners are important -- but it sounds as though you think other people have a responsibility to help you, and that's just not the case.

I'm curious to know if transit bus drivers are supposed to help passengers with luggage. I'm assuming they're not, for legal reasons. We live in such a litigious society these days and I can just imagine if a driver decided to help load something (say, oh, a stroller) in an overhead compartment and accidentally dropped the item, injuring someone. That would leave them wide open for a potentially costly personal injury lawsuit.

Again, I absolutely agree that manner are important and sorely lacking in many situations today. But, as I mentioned above, others have no responsibility to offer you -- or anyone else -- their seat on a bus/train. Speaking of -- when you do have a seat, I assume you always fold the stroller so it's not blocking the aisle or other seats? Also, I assume you hold your children (who ride for free) on your lap -- so they don't take a seat that an adult (who paid to ride) might need? That would, after all, be the polite thing to do.
THANK YOU squeezeboxgal, well said!!! rep

Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
Ironic, because you have no respect for any other subway rider that isn't a mother.
Why would you say that?When I dont have my kiddos with me I mainly stand the whole commute because I see other ppl in need including disabled ppl ....Ive stood up for old ppl plenty of time...When someone helps me out by offering to stand or help with my stroller I always tell them thank you.Im very nice about everything. I understand they dont have to but when they do offer it's sweet and I acknowledge it. This is why old ppl always call me a sweetheart in NYC I love it sometimes I run into the same ppl and they are always so nice to me .

off topic someone asked me why dont i have an umbrella stroller ...Im really tall and unmbrella strollers are made for short women...I have not found one yet that doesnt make my back hurt from all of the bending and crouching over . The stroller I use now Ive used for over 4 years now...My daughter had the stroller and now it belongs to my son...great investment ! I love this stroller but its starting to break down now lol which is cool because my son will be 2 soon so Ill only have to use it for like another year

Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM

29 posts, read 239,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
Im so angry because no one has any respect on the subway elevator especially on the L line...I go to use the elevator and Im with a young child and a baby in a stroller and it never fails. A bunch of healthy people who can walk the stairs always crowd the L line elevator and hop in and me and my child always has to wait for the elevator to come down when it should be the opposite...Ughh I have a stroller! Why cant they walk or atleast let the passengers the elevator was made for go on the elevator first! They didnt put the elevators in so that able bodied individuals can get a free ride . It was put in for disabled people, women with strollers , and people with luggage...It makes me so pissed off when they cram in thier like sardines...What for? Use your legs and take the friggin stairs...

Also why are so many men so rude...When there is no elevator and Im struggling up the stairs with a baby in one hand and a stroller in another..Why do some men just race ahead of me not even asking if I need help with the stroller ...Ocassionally someone will ask if I need help but geez there are so many times when they just race right on by me...Where are the manners?

The NJ transit bus drivers get on my nerves...Sometimes they dont like to get out of thier seat to open up the luggage compartment so I can put my stroller in so they just sit and watch me struggle to load my stroller up on the bus with a baby in my hand not even offering to help and if they do open it up they just open it they dont help me put the stroller in the compartment ...Another passenger had to help me while the bus driver just stood and watched me struggle...How flippin rude! I didnt even say thank you to him . I just glared at him when it was my time to pay. I know some ppl have the attitude like who cares it's not my kid why should I help a mom with a stroller..but imo it's about common decency ..If someone is in need of help and you are able to why not just help them out? Why is it necessary to be so cold hearted.....

While Im at it I cant tell you how many times Ive been on a bus or subway and men are sitting in the seats while Im holding my child on my hip trying not to tip and fall over and they are just casually just reading thier papers or ipods in thier ears...I almost fell over once and no one offered me a seat yet when one of them left and I sat down the jerkoff who saw me standing up struggling had the NERVE to try to ask for my phone number!
Ok, from a disabled individual (me):
The elevator situation will NEVER change. Do not expect it to. Sad but true. I need elevators and I walk with a cane and wear a leg brace. When I wait for the vator, able bodied people are in it, cram in it , rush ahead of me and such. I make them get out or make room for me. I tell them "I am getting on here, I am disabled, move" and they do. What else are they to do when they are in the wrong?

According to the ADA, I have priority to that 'vator.
This happens a lot at the Metro North Station. I cannot stand, and many times just waiting for the slow 'vator to go down and come back up is painful as heck.

So be a jerk. Remember they are being jerks, so you sadly have to be the bigger jerk to win.

As far as the subway goes, there is no law saying men or anyone have to get up for woman with strollers. I know, not fair,not fair.

With the feminist movement, we are now looked at "every man for themselves"

Like I said, I am legally disabled and I have a hard time sometimes asking people to get up out of the designated handicapped seats which are there for people like me!

So if I have a diffficult time, no offense, I am not surprised at yours,and yes I can empathize with yours.

I do believe that women have it very hard and should be treated with chivalry. But all the power women made it suck for us. Now we have doors slammed in our face, and such.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but I notice a difference in treatment.

I think that they should designate seats for moms with strollers. I can imagine what it is like for someone to have one hold on to it and stand. Now, no offense, but you should not be travelling during rush hour. You have no room to complain b/c rush hour belongs to the yuppies/ect. They should not have to trip or step over a big stroller.

So all in all people need to take some things into account. I do not travel at rush hour b/c I know people want to sit, and I know people are in the rat race mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City