Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
Haha...we don't all live in Manhattan. I'd live in Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten, or Queens...

IDK, but I imagine that if I have kids, planned at least, I want a house or condo that has parking...this way I can have a "family" car. I know it doesn't always happen that way...again..forgive me for being bitter towards the "stay-at-home-mommies" who feel the need to hold us all up during rush hour. I could strangle them sometimes.
They just need to start realizing that having a kid does not entitle them to be treated graciously by everyone by that and that alone.

I will hold doors open for them, and have respect for the mommies with the double sling-under strollers designed to be more compact. But i think there is an inherent miscommunication between people when NYC mommies buy their nannies (yes, nannies) a double or triple wide "look-at-me" to walk their kids in because they think that if they somehow "play favorites" they will scar their kids for life...

As for the car? Coming from Hoboken, I know what you are saying. Family in suburban NJ and in-laws in Queens make it hard to be without one. But after 16 months on a waiting list, I got into a municipal garage and I have been there for over 12 years.....

It is helpful, but I try not to live my life in, around, and through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I know it's like their legs suddenly stop working because they're on an escalator.

I get Moderator cut: language, take the stairs and say "You WALK up the left side" as I am passing them the old fashioned way.

Moderator cut: Language me off too.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM

35 posts, read 164,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
By that logic, we should be allotted subway space according to fare-plus-taxes paid. Mega-taxpayers could stretch out over four seats, or have a whole party car, and the rest of us would sit in a three-layer stack on each others' laps. (In truth, the average person's paid-for "share" of the subway probably amounts to a half-inch of seat plus three toes'-worth of one motorman.)

If you applied it across the board: Bigtime taxpayers would get the sidewalks and open park spaces, and the rest of us would have to skitter near the curbs and overflowing trashcans. Etcetera.
actually the guy has a point sort of , there are things called first class in airlines that people pay good money for , to get special accomodations , if this was implemented in the subway's I couldn't see it happening unless there was a bunch of armed security etc

Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM

35 posts, read 164,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
How about escalator etiquette? I find it hard to believe that so many people living in a large urban environment are unable to understand the simple act of standing on one side of the stairs, rather than standing side by side with their friend. Are they too stupid, or just Mod cut: language? At a subway station today, a couple of cops blocked the way on a long escalator, making dozens of people wait an extra half minute. A naive person like myself would assume that a police officer of all people would know better than to be so rude and ignore instructions. This sort of thing happens almost every time I use an escalator... often they block the way just in front of me, which isn't bad as I'll tell them to 'excuse me' and get past.
because thats what an escalator is for , if you want to run up and down them then go use the steps , I often sit down on the escalator

Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
How about escalator etiquette? I find it hard to believe that so many people living in a large urban environment are unable to understand the simple act of standing on one side of the stairs, rather than standing side by side with their friend. Are they too stupid, or just Mod cut: language? At a subway station today, a couple of cops blocked the way on a long escalator, making dozens of people wait an extra half minute. .

If you want to WALK, why not take the stairs??? Why take the escalator and push past people who are using the escalator as it is intended to be used??

A whole 30 seconds? Whew! Hope that didn't make you late for work!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 PM

341 posts, read 452,401 times
Is it messed up that I don't give priority to the "mommies" with their strollers? Is it really jacked up? When I see them, I don't let them cut in front of me..because I need to get to work just as bad as everybody else.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
LynnePatrice, I think the rudest ones on the train are usually women. I have never been knocked out of the way by a man running for a seat, it is always a seemingly healthy woman that shoves and races to get a seat. Furthermore, there is the expectation that women have that "I am a woman therefore you should accomodate me." I have yet to see why this is the case? If you are pregnant, of course...otherwise? I wonder if women have ever considered the fact that while they are at their desk job, there are plenty of men doing manual labor, doing hard work all day, who ride the trains a long way to go back home..and they are on their feet on the train while the women are...guess what..sitting. Shouldn't the right thing be to give up your seat to men in that case? Does this ever happen? Why not? A man can be on his feet doing manual labor all day, and then must be forced to stand and give up his seat because a woman is standing on the train? See a problem here? This is why you cannot make assumptions, or take it personal when someone doesn't submit to you just because you are a woman. It is likely they had just as hard or harder day than you, will have as long a commute or longer than you, have been on their feet in uncomfortable shoes as long or longer than you, and are just as tired or moer tired than you. But yet somehow you "deserve" special treatment so you are not inconvenienced? I understand when you have a kid and stroller it is awkward and annoying, but it is equally as awkward and annoying for you to assume you deserve men to submit to your needs so you are not inconvenienced. We all have our own problems, and although it is NICE when people help eachother, why do you expect/demand it?
Completely agree with you. I have respect for people, in general, but I don't see why one gender should have a bit more edge in getting a seat at a subway or any public transportation.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 AM

304 posts, read 1,304,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBaggO View Post
there are things called first class in airlines that people pay good money for , to get special accomodations , if this was implemented in the subway's I couldn't see it happening unless there was a bunch of armed security etc
Airlines aren't subways.
People won't pay a premium so that they can go into an underground hole (with everyone else), stand on a platform (with everyone else), sit in a more-upscale train car for 10 or 20 minutes, and then climb up out of the hole again.
If they want, and can afford, a nicer ride, they'll take a cab -- and probably already do.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:54 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,819 times
By that logic, we should be allotted subway space according to fare-plus-taxes paid. Mega-taxpayers could stretch out over four seats, or have a whole party car, and the rest of us would sit in a three-layer stack on each others' laps. (In truth, the average person's paid-for "share" of the subway probably amounts to a half-inch of seat plus three toes'-worth of one motorman.)

... Somebody paid to buy three toes of a motorman?
Sounds illegal , and frankly , kind of weird ...
That being said , I'll be happy to sell a pair of my work boots to the highest bidder ... let the bidding start at $100,000 ... ... the boots come complete with a shoebox and laces , and I'll even throw in a subway map and an ulimited monthly metrocard

Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 AM

88 posts, read 420,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If you want to WALK, why not take the stairs??? Why take the escalator and push past people who are using the escalator as it is intended to be used??

A whole 30 seconds? Whew! Hope that didn't make you late for work!
It's intended to be walked on. They even have voice instructions telling people that if they just stand, they should stay on the right side.
It could have resulted in dozens of people missing their train, adding ten minutes to their trip. And yes, potentially making them late for work. I never said anything about pushing past people. I'm talking about a cop holding up dozens of people (not just myself ) for no real reason except that they felt like standing on the left side of the escalator next to their coworker. I'm not sure you have much concept of time. You wouldn't mind a random stranger holding you up for no apparent reason for half a minute on your way home or to work? And that's just one inconvenience during a trip... which adds up when it happens multiple times during a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City