Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is so funny.When I got my cell phone,the guy at the cell store asked me if I wanted a 212 area code.I said no,it didn't matter.He then actually talked me into it saying "oh,you might as well" ,etc.
Yup.
'Way back, 212 was landline-only, and meant that your phone was plugged into an actual wall in Manhattan -- or, as SeventhFloor notes, the Bronx, though that got less notice.
When Manhattan got a second landline code (646, as covered by "Seinfeld"), 212 implied that you weren't a newbie, and that your phone had been plugged into that wall for awhile.
But now 212 could be anything -- "oldtimer" or newbie landline, or a cell phone in the boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Yup.
'Way back, 212 was landline-only, and meant that your phone was plugged into an actual wall in Manhattan -- or, as SeventhFloor notes, the Bronx, though that got less notice.
When Manhattan got a second landline code (646, as covered by "Seinfeld"), 212 implied that you weren't a newbie, and that your phone had been plugged into that wall for awhile.
But now 212 could be anything -- "oldtimer" or newbie landline, or a cell phone in the boroughs.
Right.Or a cell phone anywhere.Once you have any number now you can keep it forever and take it anywhere with you.I am sure by now there are plenty of people who got 212 cell numbers years ago who have taken them out of the area completely.Even to Boston if you dare.
Why go through the hassle of changing your phone number just because you move someplace else?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,063 times
Quote:
Right.Or a cell phone anywhere.Once you have any number now you can keep it forever and take it anywhere with you.I am sure by now there are plenty of people who got 212 cell numbers years ago who have taken them out of the area completely.Even to Boston if you dare.
Why go through the hassle of changing your phone number just because you move someplace else?
This is exactly why I have an Atlanta phone number even though I haven't lived there for six years.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
I think the "212" area code is a huge deal because many people believe only people who've been in NYC a long time have a "212" number. When they phased out 212 in the Bronx and made it 718, people were up in arms. When they ran out of "212" numbers, they started giving people "646" numbers. When those got used up, they started with "347".

When I switched over to Verizon from Sprint and added extra lines, I requested a '212' number but they said they didn't have any '212' numbers so I ended up with a '646' number.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I think the "212" area code is a huge deal because many people believe only people who've been in NYC a long time have a "212" number. When they phased out 212 in the Bronx and made it 718, people were up in arms. When they ran out of "212" numbers, they started giving people "646" numbers. When those got used up, they started with "347".

When I switched over to Verizon from Sprint and added extra lines, I requested a '212' number but they said they didn't have any '212' numbers so I ended up with a '646' number.
LOL.You must have asked the guy I was talking about.You shouldn't have asked and he would have given you one!

I can't believe there are that many people left who still think 212 is some kind of a status symbol.Unless they just arrived here and don't know any better.

It's not just Verizon either.I was given mine at T Mobil.Now I have AT&T.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,771 times
Quote:
I think the "212" area code is a huge deal because many people believe only people who've been in NYC a long time have a "212" number.
Even that is changing, as area codes and cell phones proliferate, people move around, newcomers move in, and fewer people recall (or care about) the days of 212-landline exclusivity.

A 212 number might definitely be a Manhattan _business landline_ number ... but otherwise, it could be a personal cell phone from anywhere. The "status" aspect fades when you know a lot of cell-"212" people in the boroughs, and a lot of non-212 cell/landline Manhattanites.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
I can't believe there are that many people left who still think 212 is some kind of a status symbol.Unless they just arrived here and don't know any better.

My friend has lived in Manhattan her entire life and has owner her condo for 20+ years and has had the same "212" number the entire time. When I told her to get the Time Warner triple play, they told her she couldn't port her number and she freaked and wouldn't switch over because she didn't want to lose the "212" area code. (It had nothing to do with her phone number --- just the 212 area code)

I'm happy with my "646" number since it's not all that common --- most people have "347" numbers which, for some reason, I've never liked.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My friend has lived in Manhattan her entire life and has owner her condo for 20+ years and has had the same "212" number the entire time. When I told her to get the Time Warner triple play, they told her she couldn't port her number and she freaked and wouldn't switch over because she didn't want to lose the "212" area code. (It had nothing to do with her phone number --- just the 212 area code)

I'm happy with my "646" number since it's not all that common --- most people have "347" numbers which, for some reason, I've never liked.
Must be a Time Warner thing... like they want their customers to have "their numbers" or something weird like that.Or maybe it has to do with the exchange more than the code number.That's probably it.The cell and cable 212 numbers probably have different exchanges.Mine is 212 518 XXXX.The 518 probably never existed as a land exchange.

I took mine from T Mobile to AT&T with no problem

That would mean that it is the posession of an old Manhattan exchanage like Murray Hill 9 (689) that should be( if you believe in such crap) the actual status symbol,not the 212 that anyone can get.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-10-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
thanks for the replies. I got 212-300 as a prefix, I actually received a very easy number (lots of zeros). Could be good for a business phone in the future. My roommate is upset too on how I got the 212 area code and he is now "stuck" with his 646 area code since he's had it for 4 years. LOL.
Funny thing is on Craigslist, none of the brokers cell phones have the 212 area code. I would think that it would probably be more important to RE brokers/agents.
oh well

Old 05-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
thanks for the replies. I got 212-300 as a prefix, I actually received a very easy number (lots of zeros). Could be good for a business phone in the future. My roommate is upset too on how I got the 212 area code and he is now "stuck" with his 646 area code since he's had it for 4 years. LOL.
Funny thing is on Craigslist, none of the brokers cell phones have the 212 area code. I would think that it would probably be more important to RE brokers/agents.
oh well
That's a clue right there that it is not really important to anyone any more...except maybe your roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City