Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 22,332 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a long time reader, living in Brooklyn for the last year and a half. I'm going to be relocating to UES with my fiance in the Fall. She got into two graduate programs in Public Administration: Pace (in Downtown White Plains) and Milano (The New School).

On paper, Milano seems like the better school (and closer), but a bit more expensive. I googled both and can't seem to find information about Milano. I see a lot of "love it or hate it" opinions about the administration at Pace.

Does anyone have more ideas or any experience with these two schools, and their general perception in the NYC area?

We're also in a bit of a time crunch as she got the Milano acceptance today and has less than a month to decide.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by calimd2be; 05-11-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: sentence error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Ironically, in the early 1990s I worked at Pace for a professor (while earning my master's degree there) who got a degree at and had strong links to the New School. I also (1989-1991) worked in a small company just down the street from the New School, so I have decent familiarity with both.

I think they are very very similar for public policy. Both have strong programs with a decent reputation in the NY area. The one thing I would say (oh, please, no flames here, it's just honest discourse, not political opinion), is the New School has a "culture" that is very very to the left, I mean like maybe in the Greenwich Village or Cambridge, MA, or downtown Burlington, VT or Cal-Berkeley of the 60s and 70s sense. If you are that kind of person, you will enjoy and thrive there. If you are not, you may be a little uncomfortable (though a "mainstream" left-winger or even a "moderate" would probably still enjoy the school; if you are "mainstream conservative" or "right wing" I would avoid it though).

Pace in that sense is hardly "political" at all (ironically, their two strongest subjects reputation-wise are Accounting, a very "conservative" profession, and "Environmental Law", a relatively "progressive" one). I didn't have any problems dealing with the administration, but again, I went there 15-18 years ago, so others may have better insight on that.

So I hope you find that useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City