Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 50,493 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm relocating to NYC for a job in the Bronx-I'm a single female and would prefer to live in Manhattan but I'm concerned about transportation to my job- I will be working long and irregular hours and I'm not sure about safety/ease of access to trains. Several of my future coworkers have cars and commute from the UWS to the Bronx every day but I'm concerned being able to afford a car whether I live in Manhattan or the Bronx. Any tips/advice?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
What is your budget and how long a commute are you willing to have?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM

I'm willing to have a 30-45 minute commute. Looking to spend $1400 or less for monthly rent.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
cutcopy I am a local Bronx dude so maybe I can help..can you answer a few questions for me: Where in the Bronx is your job? Where are you coming from (what city/state)? Are you familiar with NYC, or more importantly,the Bronx at all? How comfortable are you around people of color?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM

I'll be working at Montefiore Medical Center and I'm relocating from Florida. I'm not familiar at all with NYC or the Bronx. I'm comfortable around people of color.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

49 posts, read 202,239 times
For your price range, I'd recommend Inwood and Washington Heights. Look for buildings close to the Hudson River. These are the northernmost sections of Manhattan. They have a lot of parks, the Cloisters museum, and great views of the Palisades.

I'd also recommend you commute to Montefiore by taxi (about 10 minutes). Commuting by subway would be inconvenient (Montefiore is on the 4, while Inwood/Washington Heights are on the A, C and 1), plus it's pretty unsafe at night.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM

If you're going to be starting your residency, you might want to consider living in Westchester or Riverdale. Having a car isn't such a hassle then and you could get to work at odd hours (and back!) easily. It's not that easy getting a taxi FROM Montefiore.

I wouldn't suggest Washington Heights to you - but you might want to consider Inwood.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 PM

49 posts, read 202,239 times
I would also check out Yorkville, on the UES. It will cost you more (for less space) but might be worth it for the access to more amenities, more peace & quiet (Washington Heights can be noisy...), more what you might consider a middle-class/professional "NYC lifestyle."

During the daytime, you could take the 4/5/6 uptown (to Montefiore), and at nights you could arrange for a cab to pick you up. Many employers will pay for your carfare at night. I had an aunt whose company paid for her cab from Midtown to the border of Queens and Nassau county at night.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Montefiore will not pay for a taxi home. Getting home at odd hours is par for the course when working for a hospital.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
My advice would be dependent on how much you think you are going to be working vs how much time you will have for other activities.
If you are going to be starting a residency you will be working almost all the time and you really should consider trying to find a place somewhere in The Bronx that is very close to Montefiore .There are some very nice neighborhoods that are very close to Montefiore like Riverdale,Van Cortlandt Village and Woodlawn.The area right around Montefiore is also nice and very safe.The only thing lacking in these neighborhoods is any kind of real night life.You will have to go to Manhattan for that.
All of these neighborhoods are preferable to either Washington Heights or Inwood and much less expensive as well.
If your job will allow you more party time than work time and you really want to be out and about at night you should probably look in Manhattan where there is more of a scene.
If you look hard you will be able to find a really nice large 1 or 2 br apt in a very decent area within walking distance or a short bus ride of Montefiore for well under your $1,400 price.In Manhattan you will pay 1,000/mo more for the same apartment or live in a studio or a share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City