U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:42 PM

21 posts, read 56,195 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to look for a roommate if living out of state and wanting to move to new york city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,496 times
craigslist.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM

26 posts, read 75,520 times
It really sucks that Craigslist is the only option. So many scams.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM

468 posts, read 2,273,982 times
There are a lot of scams on craigslist, but for rooms/shares/roommates I think there are actually less scams than there are if you're looking for a whole apartment.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:00 PM

26 posts, read 75,520 times
This is probably true.

I moved into a Condo (rental) that was apparently under foreclosure before I even moved in.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 AM

204 posts, read 782,941 times
Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service

My friend used it with good luck in Atlanta. Unsure about NYC, but worth a try.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM

341 posts, read 421,430 times
LOL..noooooooooooooooooooooo do NOT use craigslist.org for finding a roomie...I have THREE..count 3!!!...days until this psychotic hooch moves outta my place. The best rate to find a roomie is in someone elses house or apt! I will NEVER again rent to anyone...I don't care WHAT I have to do. Lesson learned.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:24 PM

14,026 posts, read 13,116,598 times
Craig's List is the standard place to go, and although there is a lot of publicity about scams, it's a small proportion of the ads. Remember, you're going to meet someone in person, not just send a check, so that reduces the likelihood of a scam right there.

And depending on your age, you might also want to check the local colleges/grad schools to see if someone is looking for a roommate.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 PM

468 posts, read 2,273,982 times
Yeah, most of the scams on craigslist involve people wanting you to send personal information/money before you ever meet someone in person. That's a big no-no. Also people refusing to talk on the phone in my opinion is a good signal that something shady is going on. After a couple emails you should get their phone number to set up a time to meet.

To be especially careful about safety, you can meet the person in a public place like a coffeeshop before you go look at the apartment, and/or bring a friend with you to look. And obviously trust your instincts. If something seems shady, it probably is.

I've used craigslist for roommates for years now and never had any really bad experiences, although I'm a pretty laid back guy in general so I know it doesn't work for some people. The key is to be upfront about what your expectations are for a roommate as far as cleanliness, work schedule, sleeping schedule, sex life, noise, smoking, pets, alone time, parties, family, utilities, shared spaces, cooking, etc. You can't be shy or passive-aggressive about that stuff.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,844,200 times
I've always had luck on Craigslist. Just trust your instinct. However, no one is going to have you move in without meeting you first. I wouldn't try and do it long distance. You're asking for a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City