Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 23,244 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I just inherited my father's 2 family house and he was renting out the basement which was illegal. now that the house is mine I don't want the illegal tenants there. now in all due respect to the tenants, they did not know that is was illegal. they showed me the lease they signed years ago, plus my father collected rent from them through FEMA which appartently the landlord has to claim you live there and pay them rent. this would be considered fraud and the FBI investigates this if reported. so it's documented that my father illegally collected rent for these tenants from the federal govt. for this property that I inherited from him, does this effect me? will I pay back what is owed? will I get fined (hope not)?
PS. I just want the illegal tenants out so I can avoid such complications, I wasn't expecting this.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:27 PM

also what about the IRS, and housing if ti was to be inspected? thanks again

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
Your best bet is to get the place legal --- and FAST. Call the city hall in your area and find out what has to be done to make a basement into a legal apartment and get it done.

If you get caught, your father (even though deceased) is going to owe a helluva lot of back taxes, etc that will come out of his estate (meaning you and any other direct family members) will have to pay.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM

how fast/slow would it take? would I need the tenant's cooperation on this?
plus since all this was done when it was illegal does it matter anyway? thanks so much

Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
It's not as easy as it sounds. The tenant would likely have to leave to put in the appropriate renovations. And it might just be impossible to make appropriate changes if there are insufficient modes and kinds of egress.

Frankly, I think you need to consult an attorney. Because even if you do make modifications, nobody can legally live in the basement until you get a Certificate of Occupancy, which isn't granted until an inspection by the Department of Buildings is done. Which means that NOBODY can be living there!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,835 times
Assuming that you're in NYC: You can find contact and other info on the NYC Buildings Dept site (Department of Buildings )
That site also includes
-- an illegal-conversions fact sheet:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download..._factsheet.pdf
-- a how-to-correct checklist:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/dob_Illegal.pdf (broken link)
-- ... and general Certificate of Occupancy info:
Department of Buildings (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/certificates/co_factsheet.shtml - broken link)

But you _should_ get legal counsel before doing anything.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,442 times
If I were you I would tell them look I am selling the house..how much time do you need to find another place?...make them an offer($$$)that they can't refuse.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
When does the lease end?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 PM

there's no longer a lease. does that matter?
do I have any defense?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa70 View Post
there's no longer a lease. does that matter?
In general: When a lease expires and tenants stay on, they become month-to-month holdover tenants. If you want them to vacate, you must give them 30 days' legal notice (no reason necessary).

Legal backup:
-- NY Real Property Law § 232-c says that when a tenant “whose term is longer than one month” stays on after the term has expired, the landlord can either evict (via legal proceeding) or accept rent. If landlord accepts rent despite lack of new lease, the holdover tenant becomes an _implied month-to-month_ tenant.
-- NY RPL § 232-a says that “to terminate monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month in the city of New York,” landlord must give 30 days’ written notice that he-she is terminating and that unless the tenant moves by X day, "the landlord will commence summary proceedings."
-- You must do this via the legal route ... not informally, or via a note that says "please move by X date."
That's because RPL § 232-a also says that notice must be given "in the same manner in which a notice of petition in summary proceedings is now allowed to be served by law."
And if you're in NYC: NYC Admin Code § 26-521 says that if a someone has a lease _or_ has "lawfully occupied the dwelling unit for thirty consecutive days," a landlord can evict only via warrant of eviction -- not by threats, cutting services, or other unpleasantness (though it's pretty obvious that you wouldn't do that!).

But you must see an attorney before doing anything _whatsoever_, since this and your conversion-correction are part of the same "package," and there might be other details involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: