U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 AM

4 posts, read 9,394 times

Advertisements

We are two Irish girls coming to NYC for the summer. We will be living in Manhatten and are willing to do any form of work, from washing floor up!We have tried and tried but just cant get anything. Does anyone have any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 AM

176 posts, read 613,691 times
In my humble opinion, if you and your friend have a fair amount of time to checkout the bar-scene, nightlife circuit, Lounge parties...and even engage a Promoter on said nights, you may be able to land an unofficial job with them. eg: Waitressing etc.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Lionsdale; 05-21-2009 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 AM

9,115 posts, read 22,743,107 times
It would be much easier for you if you go to Montauk,Cape Cod , the Jersey shore or some other summer resort area where they always need seasonal help.I think that is what most young people who come here for summer work do. I think you will find it a little more difficult to obtain seasonal employment in the city.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 AM

10,703 posts, read 17,259,173 times
This year is probably the worst year for summer work (and finding work in general) in decades, perhaps since the Great Depression.

This year, you are having lots more local kids than usual and even laid off Wall Streeters and other mid-career people competing for some of these jobs, which I imagine there are less of in the past.

The advice others gave here is sound, but just keep in mind the keener competition this year. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,394 times
Thanks for the advice. I spent a summer in Amagansett but we have free accommodation in Manhattan which is encouraging us to stay there. Hopefully we will find something when we get there.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:38 AM

750 posts, read 2,346,525 times
You can't get a work visa for doing menial jobs, and even if you could, you're competing against other people who will do it for much cheaper. I suspect a lot of people would resent jobs going to foreigners when a lot of Americans are unemployed right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City