Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 79,962 times

Advertisements

thank you that was very helpful, I was wondering why you switched from verizon though, did it become to costly. My problem is that I am on a low budget but need a phone. I was just trying to figure out which way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:07 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default metro pcs

Someone in my circle has one of their phones and I have used it. Their prices are great the deal you get is tremendous compared to the other carriers. Metro service works good in the city and has service that rivals T-mobile/Verizon etc. However in the suburbs the service can be spotty but it is improving. The other drawback is that Metro is not in every city so if you travel to various places all the time your phone may not work in a different city. Their phones do not work in Europe or other countries either. $40 a month for unlimited talk and text is hard to beat if you need a phone to use around NY or the other cities they serve. (http://www.metropcs.com/coverage/ - broken link)

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 48,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl143 View Post
thank you that was very helpful, I was wondering why you switched from verizon though, did it become to costly. My problem is that I am on a low budget but need a phone. I was just trying to figure out which way to go.

yeah, I was getting tired of paying so much. i was on the cheapest plan that allowed free verizon to verizon calls, i.e. the $39.99/month plan (which, on good months, would came out to $50, if I didn't send a single text, and stayed within 450 minutes). Whenever I'd have craziness going on in my life requiring me to talk more than that I'd be charged an arm and a leg.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I thought about switching to Metro PCS but where they get you is that since they don't have any contracts you have to buy your phone pretty much at 100% of the cost of the phone, and they simply don't offer nice enough phones yet. Which is cool if you don't mind having a really cheap, basic phone. I'd only recommend for people who don't care what phone they have.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 48,386 times
And now the kicker... Metro PCS unveils Unlimited International Calling for $5/month! Their customer service is vile, but nobody else even comes close to this deal.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
"HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!" (sorry I couldn't resist)

Unless you are strapped for cash, I'd be wary of anything with terrible customer service ya know: for those times when things go wrong! (And they always do).

Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 49,022 times
Well a few friends of mine ventured to Metro PCS and they say its a pretty ok. I mean you can't really complain for the price. I have heard they may not get a signal every now and then but I think its worth trying.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
I left Verizon (Their Too Damn High, and Nickel and Dime you to DEATH!) for Sprint about a 1 1/2 yrs ago....And to be honest I've never had a Problem...Sprint works everywhere my Verizon did and I go up and down the east coast....

My Problem with Metro is:

- Cannot Leave the City or you'll have NO SERVICE
- Phones are very Basic and Costly.
- Very New Network in NY, so they probably have a ton of holes.
- No 3G Internet (Im sorry once you've expreinced it you cant go back)
- No Blackberries or Smartphones to choose from.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 AM

13 posts, read 50,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloe1 View Post
And now the kicker... Metro PCS unveils Unlimited International Calling for $5/month! Their customer service is vile, but nobody else even comes close to this deal.
i'm very much interested in the $5 deal as I am an international student.Verizon has a $20 deal for my country though.AT and T does not have sucha deal for intl calls.(per call charge plus monthly charge)

MetroPcs dealers said on howardforum.com a lot of Mexicans are going for the $3 /month unltd calls to Mexico.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,051 times
I've had Boost in Boston for about 6 months or so and will be moving to NYC this summer. The price for boost is definitely right, and my phone, the Motorola i465 ($75), with a full keyboard, is good as well, although I'm not sure if you can get emails on it. The service with boost is great, except for two things: The signal seems to fade constantly, like the bars disappear. It doesn't seem to cause dropped calls, but when the bars disappear and I try to call out or text, it says I am out of the service area. I can stay in the same place and the bars return in a couple minutes.

The second and worst problem with them is the texting. I predominantly use my cell phone to text. Some get hung up in the outbox, they just stay there and you cant delete it, no other texts will send out. When this happens, I have to turn the phone off remove the battery and turn it back on. The delay to receive texts can be bad as well. Sometimes I wont get texts for hours then they all come in at once. The worst is EVERY SINGLE TEXT HAS TO DOWNLOAD AS AN MMS. I literally waited 9 minutes for a text message to download, the contents of the text...."comcast."

The texting is so annoying that I am going to drop boost and am going to try Metro PCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: