Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 PM

650 posts, read 2,513,891 times

Advertisements

Pinos is on 7th ave between 1st and 2nd st although for myself I dont see it standing out. my favorite in the slope is Roma by Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 PM

824 posts, read 2,787,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you come over to our side of the harbor, you should definitely check out three pizzerias in Brooklyn:

3. Totonno's (1524 Neptune Avenue in Coney Island--which may be the only pizza place in the city still operated by the same family after 4 generations!)
Still closed, I think

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/nyregion/16pizza.html

Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM

287 posts, read 1,370,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Lombardi's is awesome. There is no other like it. Baked in their specially designed ovens, thin crust, and slices of cheese, and fresh basil. You definitely have to try it.

For an excellent more traditional NY Pizza made by a real Italian family still working in the store, try little known outside of the neighborhood, Mamma's Pizzaria on the corner of Amsterdam Ave and West 106th St. Excellent, and always full with customers.
DAS...Lombardi's was the place that my friend was barking about...why is it such a good place to eat...flavor, setting, service?....He keeps going on and on but won't tell me what that makes it so sepcial...?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM

33,918 posts, read 47,107,157 times
manhattan = tie between rosario's on orchard and stanton in the lower east side and coronet on bway betw 110 & 111

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 AM

84 posts, read 283,407 times
Quote:
For an excellent more traditional NY Pizza made by a real Italian family still working in the store, try little known outside of the neighborhood, Mamma's Pizzaria on the corner of Amsterdam Ave and West 106th St. Excellent, and always full with customers.
Yes, Mama's is usually awesome, I go there quite often and have generally had great pizza from there. Their sauce is the best I've ever had.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,849,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
DAS...Lombardi's was the place that my friend was barking about...why is it such a good place to eat...flavor, setting, service?....He keeps going on and on but won't tell me what that makes it so sepcial...?
Lombardi's has it's die hard fans, fans that won't eat pizza anywhere else. A lot of these fans are over 50 year old Italian NYer's so that should tell you something. They had their 100 year anniversary a few years ago, where they gave out pizza for 5 cents a slice. You had to buy a whole pie. A group of us went. There were lines for blocks and blocks. Just hanging out on the line waiting for the pizza, was one of those great NYC moments that you will never forget. They are still located in the same place. They use the same brick oven as when they started. They have not changed their recipes in all of this time.

It is probably the only place that has pizza with everything prepared the old fashioned way, really old fashioned. They don't sprinkle the coarsely grated cheese on like other places, they slice the cheese, so they have these big slices of round melted cheese on top. The sauce is home made. All vegetable toppings are fresh sliced veggies like peppers, and tomatoes (I know they are fruits ) for example. They also use fresh basil leaves. The aroma alone of the fresh basil is enough to set it apart from all other pizzarias. I don't know if there is another like it in NYC.

The service is great too. The staff is very friendly, and it is in a good area with a lot to see around there.

You can try any of the other recommendations, but don't miss out on Lombardi's.

Last edited by DAS; 05-29-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,543,835 times
We should not forget Ray's in the Village (the one on Sixth Avenue). Not everybody loves their pizza, but you have to give them credit for this: they do NOT skimp on cheese!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM

287 posts, read 1,370,669 times
Quote:
Lombardi's has it's die hard fans, fans that won't eat pizza anywhere else. A lot of these fans are over 50 year old Italian NYer's so that should tell you something. They had their 100 year anniversary a few years ago, where they gave out pizza for 5 cents a slice. You had to buy a whole pie. A group of us went. There were lines for blocks and blocks. Just hanging out on the line waiting for the pizza, was one of those great NYC moments that you will never forget. They are still located in the same place. They use the same brick oven as when they started. They have not changed their recipes in all of this time.

It is probably the only place that has pizza with everything prepared the old fashioned way, really old fashioned. They don't sprinkle the coarsely grated cheese on like other places, they slice the cheese, so they have these big slices of round melted cheese on top. The sauce is home made. All vegetable toppings are fresh sliced veggies like peppers, and tomatoes (I know they are fruits ) for example. They also use fresh basil leaves. The aroma alone of the fresh basil is enough to set it apart from all other pizzarias. I don't know if there is another like it in NYC.

The service is great too. The staff is very friendly, and it is in a good area with a lot to see around there.

You can try any of the other recommendations, but don't miss out on Lombardi's.
Thanks DAS...Great Info.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,849,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
We should not forget Ray's in the Village (the one on Sixth Avenue). Not everybody loves their pizza, but you have to give them credit for this: they do NOT skimp on cheese!
I was a die hard Ray's fan for years, but that was before I found out about Lombardi's. Also Mamma's Pizzaria on W 106th and Amsterdam Ave is better than Ray's for that traditional NY style pizza.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,681,085 times
I know a really god pizzeria that is located at the Bronx. It's in Castle Hill but I do not know where exactly it is. I only know to drive there lol. But their slices are like 1 foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City