Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I know you're joking, right??? How would you feel if you paid $350K for a condo and are paying $500-$1000 in maintenance each month (on top of your mortgage and everything else) and the management company cut a deal to fill all the empty apartments with homeless people who, as I said above, will most likely destroy the apartments and appliances within 6 months and have the place ghetto-fied in no time??
Agreed. I don't know anyone that will pay $350K to live in what is essentially a homeless shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 PM

567 posts, read 1,445,685 times
i don't think this will lower property values at all actually. people build 300-$500k (and sometimes higher) condo's directly across the street from projects and i've personally seen a condo or 3 in ENY, yet people are still willing to pay top dollar for them. so if people are willing to pay hundreds of thousands to live in or around the ghetto, why wouldn't they do the same to live amongst the homeless?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
I think they're referring specifically to the ones that live in that building. I don't think many people would spend a lot of money to live in a luxury condo with the homeless. Quite ironic that we keep referring to them as the homeless, when they have a home now..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 PM

well, me personally, if i had to choose between a luxury condo surrounded by slums or a luxury condo filled with vagrants, i'd pick the latter.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
well, me personally, if i had to choose between a luxury condo surrounded by slums or a luxury condo filled with vagrants, i'd pick the latter.
However, this thread is dealing specifically with this building.

I know that I'd be pretty ticked off if I paid 350K for a condo and was paying a mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc in order to have a better life for myself/family and, next thing you know, the management company moves in a bunch of degenerates who are going to live there free of charge and destroy the place.

I'm surprised the condo owners haven't gone ballistic over this and filed a lawsuit ---- I know I would!

Oh, and before anyone bashes me for the use of the word degenerate, here's the official definition from merriam-webster:

having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b: having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type ; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c: degraded

Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 PM

ok, then DON'T LIVE THERE. its not like anyone is forcing people to. and its not like 1 condo going bad is going to ruin the area or something. and do any of you even live in that nabe? lets leave it up to the residents of crown heights to make a decision. if they don't like whats happening then leave the complaining to them. simple as that.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
They won't be there for too long...

Mayor Bloomberg to homeless: Don't get too comfy in luxury condos ... you gotta get out soon

Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
yea, its great that they go back to sleeping in the subways and in abandoned buildings, right?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
ok, then DON'T LIVE THERE

The point that's being made is that the people who DO live there, the people who worked their tails off to be able to afford to live there are being screwed because the management company decided to lease to an organization who is putting vagrants in the luxury building that they've worked, scrimped, scratched, and saved to be able to afford. Do you expect them to just up and leave the homes they've WORKED to afford so a bunch of welfare recipients can live it up on the taxpayers dime????

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
yea, its great that they go back to sleeping in the subways and in abandoned buildings, right?
Gee, here's a novel concept: How about getting a JOB and renting a room until you can afford an apartment and stop leeching off the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: