Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times

Advertisements

thanks for responding back to us with your experiences

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 AM

749 posts, read 2,454,472 times
As a rule of thumb, any block near the J/Z train is going to be undesirable - some more dangerous than others, but none that you'd want to live on. I used to live on Jamaica Ave and 96th Street in Woodhaven and it was pretty crappy. Too many punk teenagers posting up on the Ave like zombies, pretty depressing.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:27 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Didn't the decline start in the early 80s ? Around 1986 , my ex and I were exploring NYC and we took a wrong turn off the expressway and ended up in South Ozone Park. It was pouring heavy rain that night and the area had a very sketchy appearance. We did not stay there long.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 PM

49 posts, read 202,267 times
South Ozone Park is a completely different area.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:08 PM

49 posts, read 202,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
As a rule of thumb, any block near the J/Z train is going to be undesirable - some more dangerous than others, but none that you'd want to live on. I used to live on Jamaica Ave and 96th Street in Woodhaven and it was pretty crappy. Too many punk teenagers posting up on the Ave like zombies, pretty depressing.
I don't find those blocks bad at all. I wouldn't want to live there because of the noise from the elevated train, but the actual neighborhood immediately around Woodhaven Blvd. and Jamaica Ave. is not bad at all. It's got some beautiful Victorian farmhouses, most in good repair.

It's also pretty diverse, ethnically. The neighborhood stores reflect that. There is: a German-American delicatessen (Manor Deli), an old-fashioned German-American candy store (Schmidt's Confectionery), an Italian bakery, a great little hardware store run by an Asian guy, a "spirituality" store staffed by a Brazilian, a football club/bar that seems to be either Portuguese or Spanish (Bicheiro's), a pharmacy stocked with Russian products run by Central Asians, a Filipino restaurant (Mama Meena's), a Colombian restaurant (Pollos Doña María), Colombian bakeries, Peruvian restaurants, Indian-Pak groceries, etc. etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 PM

197 posts, read 895,006 times
Ozone Park should not be confused with South Ozone Park. South Ozone Park is a pretty rough area. Ozone Park to me is an average NYC neighborhood in terms of crime and safety. You have some teenage thugs involved in drugs there, but so does every neighborhood in Queens except for areas like Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and Northeast Queens. A general rule about Queens, is usually the west and southern parts are rougher than the northern and eastern parts. There are exceptions of course. But southern Queens is pretty rough and this includes the Rockaways.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTony View Post
You have some teenage thugs involved in drugs there, but so does every neighborhood in Queens except for areas like Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and Northeast Queens. .
Uh, I wouldn't say except for those neighborhoods either. They might not be as out in the open about it, but it happens there too.. and they're not all thugs, but "regular" people too.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 17,823 times
I live in the area and it is NOT GHETTO! That is false and a total exaggeration. The neighborhood is not bad at all. It is a decent area and very convenient. There is a big Pathmark there too!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
I live in Woodhaven right now, and its pretty safe, as far as you can walk down the street w/o getting jumped. There is NO parking on the avenue and side street parking is only available during early AM hours till around 2pm

The J/Z is pretty reliable - almost never taken out of service - I used to work overnight - I am a female and have never been bothered - That said - I have seen kids attacking other kids - so I make sure I never get off @ Elderts Lane stop as the school is getting out - it is a very intense ride - too many kids. The HS, Franklin K Lane has been closed and re-opened as 5 smaller schools - all this means is that the kids all wear different colored polo shirts, and are just as unruly as they were when FKL was open - There is a very heavy police presence around the station during school hours - but every few months huge 20 on 20 type fights break out - Cops quell the violence pretty quickly- but if you have the unfortunate pleasure to be shopping or in the area it can be scary. As the police will stop you and ask you to say put if they think you are young and involved.

I am moving my family out of Woodhaven - When I grew up here in the 80's it was beautiful- moved out for college and then back again in '98. It has been on decline since then , all the families I grew up with are gone, and replaced with single room occupancy dwellings - most illegally converted 1 fam homes into single rooms for rent for a high turn over renters who are mostly new immigrants, and a few Section 8 . - Fires and home break ins are on the rise as these stacked dwellings crop up.

There is drug/gang activity on the avenue at night - with graffiti cropping up on most corners (peoples houses and fences) at the Block Association meetings the police beat cop says this is the gangs way of trying to carve out their turf. Also teens with nothing to do.

There is prostitution happening on Woodhaven Blvd right by the Woodhaven Blvd train station. You can see a few pros on a hot summer night walking up and down WH Blvd proper. Or you;ll just see a lady hanging out by the bus stop but never catching the bus.

The schools are failing and the library is almost empty - I have to order my books online and have them shipped to the library for pick up because the shelves are empty.

The ppl that live here are mostly Dominican, with some older PR's. - Mexicans and Coloumbians are sprinkled in. There is a growing Indian/Pakistani and other Asian presence - There some older Chinese and Koreans in the nabe but they are moving out quickly.

If you are looking to rent a room, are not too sensitive to noise, dont drive and dont plan to make a life here or plan a family, you'll be fine.

This is NOT a place to raise your kids.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Pollock View Post
I don't find those blocks bad at all. I wouldn't want to live there because of the noise from the elevated train, but the actual neighborhood immediately around Woodhaven Blvd. and Jamaica Ave. is not bad at all. It's got some beautiful Victorian farmhouses, most in good repair.

It's also pretty diverse, ethnically. The neighborhood stores reflect that. There is: a German-American delicatessen (Manor Deli), an old-fashioned German-American candy store (Schmidt's Confectionery), an Italian bakery, a great little hardware store run by an Asian guy, a "spirituality" store staffed by a Brazilian, a football club/bar that seems to be either Portuguese or Spanish (Bicheiro's), a pharmacy stocked with Russian products run by Central Asians, a Filipino restaurant (Mama Meena's), a Colombian restaurant (Pollos Doña María), Colombian bakeries, Peruvian restaurants, Indian-Pak groceries, etc. etc.
Manor OPEN
Mama Meena CLOSED
Sage (Santeria store) OPEN
Bicheiro's OPEN
Dona Maria OPEN
Italian Bakeries have all CLOSED - replaced by Inadian and Spanish bakeries - sub par quality for sure

Woodhaven is a dying ship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City