Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM

186 posts, read 217,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK all you long time New Yorkers, let's hear it. Lately I've been watching reruns of "All in the Family." Archie and Edith represent the "old guard" and have what I estimate to be exaggerated New York accent that has since faded a bit. But one linguistic habit of theirs I find curious is their propensity to pronounce the "oi" sound as "er" so "toilet" becomes "terlet" and "spoiled" becomes "sperled" and so forth.
haha my mom who grew up in Bed Stuy in the 50s and 60s jokingly uses an exaggeration of that old Brooklyn Italian accent often, she actually will say "I need to use the TERlet" or "you're so SPERled" as a referential joke. And her and her sister whose names both have As in them...forget about it

This used to be more common for some reason, in distinct ethnic enclaves, but things are more diverse now so I think a result is accents are less distinct overall (there are still some places which are exceptions, like Staten Island and Bay Ridge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM

218 posts, read 739,162 times
We have a close family friend who used to be a secretary in a NYC office building in the 50's, and she said that back then a lot of her female co-workers would talk with a heavy NYC accent, like saying the word "shirt" as "shoyt", or "knock" as "nawk".

It's funny seeing the various accents from back east... my father is from Maine, and they saw "water" like "worter", but a New Yorker would say "wahta".

Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
My father was born in 1940, grew up in Brownsville and strangely enough my fondest memory of him was being in a gang. He said back in the 50's "every yoot in Brooklyn was in a gang" also, pronouncing toilet, "terlet."

Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Bobby Flay has the modern version of the accent? Come to Long Island, when I first heard Chef speak I thought he was from the Island. Makes sense because most Long Islanders are the kids or grandkids of Brooklynites.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Bobby Flay has the modern version of the accent? Come to Long Island, when I first heard Chef speak I thought he was from the Island. Makes sense because most Long Islanders are the kids or grandkids of Brooklynites.
Weird, though, the way most LI-ers speak....

saw = sawr as in "I sawr her yesterday

Americer = America as in "I bank at Bank of Americer"

Why do they put an "r" on the end?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Quote:
OK all you long time New Yorkers, let's hear it. Lately I've been watching reruns of "All in the Family." Archie and Edith represent the "old guard" and have what I estimate to be exaggerated New York accent that has since faded a bit.
Not exaggerated at all. Archie Bunker may have lived on (fictitious) Hauser Street in Queens, but he spoke with a definite Greenpoint accent--known for transposing "er" and "oi."

Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
OK all you long time New Yorkers, let's hear it. Lately I've been watching reruns of "All in the Family." Archie and Edith represent the "old guard" and have what I estimate to be exaggerated New York accent that has since faded a bit. But one linguistic habit of theirs I find curious is their propensity to pronounce the "oi" sound as "er" so "toilet" becomes "terlet" and "spoiled" becomes "sperled" and so forth. I have never heard this anywhere else except on "All in the Family." Was this ever a common feature of the New York accent or of some localized version of it? Or was this just some weird affectation they added on the show?

Oh, does anyone else find it strange that other than those two, the character with the thickest New York accent is Meathead even though he's supposedly from Chicago?
yes, it is a true accent. I have living proof relatives including myself that say terlet sorry, but we do.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You can still hear it in parts of Brooklyn,like Bensonhoist, if you are lucky.Thankfully,it hasn't disappeared completely.
Th UR and the OI are switched.Hurst becomes hoist and oil becomes url.
Language peculiarities are often double faced.In Boston,they drop R's where they are supposed to be and put in R's where they are not supposed to be.
oh yeah, I forgot about the erl,

Like I will tell the waitress I will have vinegar and erl in my salad and she has no clue, I just laugh. LOl

or on the beach we use baby erl and iodine. yup, I am a die hard brooklynite, and i am older than dirt. LOL

Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
OK all you long time New Yorkers, let's hear it. Lately I've been watching reruns of "All in the Family." Archie and Edith represent the "old guard" and have what I estimate to be exaggerated New York accent that has since faded a bit. But one linguistic habit of theirs I find curious is their propensity to pronounce the "oi" sound as "er" so "toilet" becomes "terlet" and "spoiled" becomes "sperled" and so forth. I have never heard this anywhere else except on "All in the Family." Was this ever a common feature of the New York accent or of some localized version of it? Or was this just some weird affectation they added on the show?
Not a longtime New Yorker here -- in fact, I've never lived there -- but IIRC Archie and Edith were originally from New Jersey and so they spoke with what is supposed to be a Jersey accent. I think they moved to Queens so Archie could be closer to his job.

Quote:
Oh, does anyone else find it strange that other than those two, the character with the thickest New York accent is Meathead even though he's supposedly from Chicago?
Yeah, I've noticed that too and found it amusing. It appears television just wasn't very realistic with stuff like that in those days. Look at "Laverne and Shirley", for example -- they all were supposed to be native to Milwaukee and yet they spoke with New York accents.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM

141 posts, read 351,450 times

YouTube - If These Knishes Could Talk: The Story of the New York Accent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City