Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,217 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has already been posted up here but...

Iam a Model and I'm looking to start my career properly in the states and was told NY would be the best place for me.

I find it hard to get anywhere as a young black model in London as many of the model agencies don't want to take me .

I decided on NY as this is where most of the urban designers are based and id be close by for castings etc.Plus there is more of market for 'Ethnic' (Eww I hate that word) Models in America.

Not really looking for advice on what part to settle down in (my good friend is from the Bronx so I can ask him for all of that advice ,utilities prices how to get around etc )Id probably stay in the BX near him so I know hes close! lol

I just want to find out what the first step to getting over there would be for me .obviously id need a job to tide me over until the contracts start rolling in lol So what would be your advice on what type of job to start of with or how to apply for a visa .

Iv just Graduated in a degree in Aviation Management so im thinking maybe to start applying to jobs in the airport or with airlines etc?

Just need some help on knowing how to start ..i'm gonna be a single girl in a big city ..starting a new life all on my owwwn! But im soo ready soo over London and soo excited!!

Look forward to your replies and appreciate your help guys and girls!

Sarah xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You need a valid visa. The usual tourist visa will not work, as work isn't permitted with a tourist visa.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:32 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
right on. go for it. ny is the city of dreams, and def the spot for fashion/modeling. hope to see you here!!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there aren't many companies hiring anyone at all right now, much less sponsoring people for work visas. There are ivy league educated, wall streeters that are begging for living wage jobs and not getting them. Plus it's a catch 22, because New York companies prefer to hire New Yorkers or people with New York experience. It's almost impossible to apply from out of the tri-state unless you have highly specialized skills.

America is a much different culture from the UK, and to assume you can just get an apartment in the Bronx without a job and survive up there is a little naive. In London you can pretty much go anywhere at anytime and feel completely safe - you absolutely CANNOT do that in the Bronx.

You should really think through the consequences of moving here from overseas because it's difficult to recover financially and logistically if you're overseas in a foreign country with no rights, support system, or plan - it's a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
I dont know why people on here insiston being negative. NYC is a very optimistic place with room for ANYONE. I have several friends who moved here from London who abosolutely LOVE it here. This is THE international city, especially in acting/modelling etc. Im curious why biskit thinks that its impossible to chase your dreams. COME TO NYC!!!!! You'll love it. Make it happen.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:45 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
I'm just being realistic, not negative. NYC has room for people that have 1. Citizenship/Visa 2. Some kind of support network 3. discernible skills that are better than the millions of other people that ALSO want to move here. If you don't at least have those 3 things, you have a big hurdle to jump before you can even consider living here.

What visa do you think she should apply for Adambos? It's easy to say chase your dreams, NYC is optimistic etc, without giving actionable advice.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
While it may be difficult to immigrate to the US, it isn't impossible, millions have done so! I'm not sure what the procedure is to apply for a visa, put it seems like the OP does have two of the three of what has been deemed the necessary requirements.
A degree in Aviation Management: Discernable skills check.
Friend in the Bronx: Support network check.
Visa: seems to be the only thing she will have to find.

NYC is the fashion capital of the US and so it would be realistic that you would want to be here. I would suggest calling a few of the modeling agencies and explaining your situation and see what they say about the work visa etc. Maybe they might be interested in you based on portfolio, previous work experience or even sending in a candid shot of yourself. Or you could visit and do a few drop ins and see what the result is.
So many models come to NYC from all over the world so it is indeed possible. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Just as a note: no reputable agency will hire a foreign national who doesn't have the appropriate visa and can legally work in the US. It usually takes several years to get one for UK citizens.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
First describe "ethnic": how do you consider yourself to be ethnic.
If you mean that you'd be considered ethnic because your british, well that isn't going to fly. Second, London is just as big, if not bigger than NYC when it comes to fashion, so why can't you start off there. It sure as hell would be easier than attaining a visa (in the struggling airline industry no doubt) and then risking deportation to ditch it for modeling, all while trying to earn an immigrant's wage to live in the most expensive city in America.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:47 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
If I were you'd I'd start looking for jobs in the UK first and then come over here after you get some experience under your belt. You can always come over for a short visit to see some modeling agencies and gauge your reception whenever you want, but making the big move right now might be counterproductive.

I know it's all very exciting, and it might even work out for you, but the safer bet would be to come with modeling experience in London, with references, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City