Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Every time I've been to NYC, I've purchased tickets to two or three plays online before my trip. My hubby and I are planning another trip there in early July. This time I'm considering not buying anything beforehand but just trying to pick up some good deals at the TKTS booth in Times Square. I realize it's sort of an iffy way of going about it, and I don't want to end up kicking myself if we can't get tickets to anything good. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for whether other CD posters have had a good experience going to the TKTS route or if I ought to just pay through the nose and guarantee myself decent tickets to a few plays I want to see. Input anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 22,177 times
I love TKTS. I hardly ever pay full price for tickets anymore! In my experience--ESPECIALLY THIS YEAR--they've had a good selection of shows. If you go to the TDF website, they have a page showing "what was at the booths last week." Of course everything changes from day to day and week to week, but this usually helps give me an indication of what might be available. ( TDF - Theatre Development Fund )

That said, if you have your heart absolutely set on seeing a specific show on a specific date, then yeah, it's best to order tickets to be on the safe side. But if you sign up on Playbill.com or TheaterMania.com (totally free, etc.; you just put in your e-mail address), they offer discount codes for a whole lot of shows! I saw Mary Stuart last week for 55 bucks using my Playbill discount.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
It depends on what your tastes are. Almost any play will be on TKTS. The top, blockbuster musicals are more of a problem. If you really want to see Billy Elliot or Hair I would buy tickets in advance.

I just saw Exit The King tonight with discounted tickets. Discounted despite the fact that Geoffrey Rush just won the Tony and the show is closing in two days. I had discounted tickets to Mary Stuart and free tickets to The Norman Conquests (I work in the industry). The plays this season are really good, and comparatively complex and interesting for Broadway.

The Norman Conquests is a light and fun trilogy of plays (you don't have to see them all). It would be a good play option if you don't want to sit through something like Mary Stuart.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you both so much! I'm definitely going to check out that website, upuptown. And tpk-nyc, I wouldn't say I have my heart set on seeing any one thing. I would kind of prefer a musical, but I'd definitely be open to something that's been playing for a long time and maybe isn't the hottest thing in town right now. I'm getting excited! This is my seventh trip to NYC. It's my favorite US city, and I always go out of my way to tell people that you New Yorkers have got an unjustified bad rap. I've always had very positive experiences with New Yorkers being helpful and polite.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Every time I pass the TKTS booth, the line is astronomical and there's no guarantee you're going to get the tickets you want for the show you want since you're buying them same-day. When I know there's a show I want to see, I go to any of the discount sites print out the discount page and bring it to the theater. I've always gotten the seats I wanted at great discounts (45-60% off). (you can also buy the tickets online beforehand)

www.broadwaybox.com

www.playbill.com

HIT SHOW CLUB Ticket Desk Online

Discount Broadway Tickets and Free TV Show Tickets in New York City

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
I use broadwaybox.com and often get better deals than at tkts. They're not always half price there, sometimes 30 or 40% off.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I use broadwaybox.com and often get better deals than at tkts. They're not always half price there, sometimes 30 or 40% off.
Neat! So I'm assuming this is something I'd do beforehand, not after I get to the city, right?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Yes, though if you find yourself in the city and want to see a show at random, TKTS cannot be beat. The lines are long, but they do move quickly, and it's best to get there early for the best selection, but then that gives time for lunch before a matinee, or time before the evening show when you can do other things in the city. Many times, I will just stop by and grab a seat instead of going to a movie or something completely at random, which can be more fun than planning ahead of time. Whatever way you use, there are great deals to be had, and the theatre is always worth it.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Neat! So I'm assuming this is something I'd do beforehand, not after I get to the city, right?

Not necessarily. You can print out the Broadway Box discount "coupon" and bring it straight to the box office --- that's how I always do it and I've always gotten great seats. Of course, if you have your agenda planned out already, you should probably just buy them online before you come to NYC.

OH!! And don't forget the "lottery" that many shows offer. 2 1/2 hours prior to showtime, you can put your name in the "lottery" and, if your name is chosen, you can buy 2 front row seats for $25-$26.50 each. I saw Wicked and Hairspray twice each that way, as well as In The Heights and The Drowsy Chaperone. Not all theaters offer the "lottery" but there is some info on it here: http://www.ilovenytheater.com/

If you're wondering about any particular show, you can either get the info from that site or call the theaters (the numbers are listed in the Playbill and I'm thinking you can get the theater numbers from Playbill.com)

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Not necessarily. You can print out the Broadway Box discount "coupon" and bring it straight to the box office --- that's how I always do it and I've always gotten great seats. Of course, if you have your agenda planned out already, you should probably just buy them online before you come to NYC.

OH!! And don't forget the "lottery" that many shows offer. 2 1/2 hours prior to showtime, you can put your name in the "lottery" and, if your name is chosen, you can buy 2 front row seats for $25-$26.50 each. I saw Wicked and Hairspray twice each that way, as well as In The Heights and The Drowsy Chaperone. Not all theaters offer the "lottery" but there is some info on it here: The official website for Broadway show tickets, information, and more!

If you're wondering about any particular show, you can either get the info from that site or call the theaters (the numbers are listed in the Playbill and I'm thinking you can get the theater numbers from Playbill.com)
Wow, thanks! The lottery sounds awesome. I just bookmarked the link and will definitely check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City